IPC-HDBW4231F-AS-S2 - How to choose between 2.8 and 3.6 mm?

emerb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I went to buy a Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS-S2 and the vendor asked me if I want 2.8 or 3.6 mm, at that moment I was like: Whaat?¿ :idk:.

I kind know the bigger number will give me a more narrow view (at least I think it will) but considering the application and the tight space I'm not sure which one will give the best result, which is:

- The right camera, at the right high to provide an id of whoever comes to the front door.

Any knowledge gained here will also help me make better decision for additional cameras.

I hope the attached pictures will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
By the way I believe that having the camera right on top of the doors would give me a perfect view but wife think it won't look good so I'm installing it on the side.

Thanks in advance.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ideal height is about 7ft, too high and you just get the tops of heads and bald spots.

I would mount right next to door frame, to the right at 7ft high looking out allowing you straight on face shots and perhaps some visibility down the walk. Being a bit confined, I'd probably try the 2.8mm

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I've become a firm believer in variable focus cameras. Just allows much more flexibility in refining your focal point. Out of 18 cameras at 3 locations I have exactly 1 fixed lens camera and that's only because I just haven't got around to replacing it and it's in a low priority zone.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
suggestions.jpg
I went to buy a Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS-S2 and the vendor asked me if I want 2.8 or 3.6 mm, at that moment I was like: Whaat?¿ :idk:.
Hi Emerb,

Definitely for that location get the 2.8mm as anyone at the front door will be right next to it. It's a great camera, and looks really good painted to match the wall. ( hint - Homedepo sells "sample/test" jars of paint which they will color match )

I have mine next to my front door at 5 feet high - looking them straight as they approach the door. I recommend giving that height a test and see how well it works.

I am considering adding another camera to get a good side view also. Please do not be afraid to add additional cameras - I just came from a pharmacy and they had 32 cameras!!! SO I have been asking myself if they think their drugs are worth that much - then perhaps I should stop being too conservative about the safety of my family.

Question - I see a rubber bumper on the wall you plan to put the camera on - do the doors open out? ( or why is the rubber bumper there? )

If the doors open inwards, suggest the mini-dome in the location in blue and adding a starlight varifocal on the wall by the garage / front walkway

Last edited:

emerb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I've become a firm believer in variable focus cameras...
I would love to have such control but I couldn't find a varifocal that small (maybe I don't know where to look :)
One thing I did like about this one is the "smart detection" features, I'm thinking it will place nice with my NVR.

emerb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Definitely for that location get the 2.8mm as anyone at the front door will be right next to it. It's a great camera, and looks really good painted to match the wall...
I am considering adding another camera to get a good side view also...
Thanks for your comments. I really like the idea of painting the camera, I never though of it.
Also the second camera sounds great. I'm with you. I was shy at first and then I though: "What the heck", it is my home and my family, I will do whatever it takes to improve our security.

Question - I see a rubber bumper on the wall you plan to put the camera on - do the doors open out? ( or why is the rubber bumper there? )
I live in Florida and here doors open out due to the strong storms and hurricanes.
To be honest, I never noticed the rubber bumper until you mentioned it. I had to go outside to confirm it :).
We never open that side of the door (right side) unless we are moving something really big in or out of the house so having a camera somewhere in there wouldn't be a problem (I can get a bigger rubber bumper to protect it :lol:)

emerb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
View attachment 22461

Hi Emerb,

Definitely for that location get the 2.8mm as anyone at the front door will be right next to it. It's a great camera, and looks really good painted to match the wall. ( hint - Homedepo sells "sample/test" jars of paint which they will color match )

I have mine next to my front door at 5 feet high - looking them straight as they approach the door. I recommend giving that height a test and see how well it works.

I am considering adding another camera to get a good side view also. Please do not be afraid to add additional cameras - I just came from a pharmacy and they had 32 cameras!!! SO I have been asking myself if they think their drugs are worth that much - then perhaps I should stop being too conservative about the safety of my family.

If the doors open inwards, suggest the mini-dome in the location in blue and adding a starlight varifocal on the wall by the garage / front walkway
By the way, any particular camera you recommend where you mentioned an Starlight Varifocal?