IPC-HDW1430DT-STW "Human Detection" what does it do?

blakehaas

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a friend who got a 3 pack of these cameras from AliExpress. They look decent and seem to have decent quality. I have 2 of them setup for him via cat6 and the garage is on wifi. No issues with that but one issue i am having is that the "Human Detection" doesn't seem to do anything? I still have to have motion detection turned on to even have human detection on. It keeps picking up bugs and cars. Is there a way I can just rely on the human detection? So far it doesn't seem like it does anything.

I thought about setting the threshold really high for Motion detection and seeing if human detection will kick in and override that but I haven't been back yet to mess around. Was hoping someone here would know.

Thanks.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That model is very low end by today's standards. Nothing good about the specs. Of course any inexpensive camera will look ok in bright sunlight

As to the Human detection using SMD, unfortunately it doesnt work very well even in better expensive models. At the end of the day it still relies on old fashioned pixel changes thus lots of false alerts.

For future reference, look for models with AI capabilities, IVS is the most common (sometimes called perimeter protection)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
And yes, you could try setting thresholds high with SMD on Human. Does it trigger when a person walks through the MD zone?

blakehaas

n3wb
Reaction score
And yes, you could try setting thresholds high with SMD on Human. Does it trigger when a person walks through the MD zone?
EDIT* I went back and set the thresholds all to high and lowered the sensitivity. I set human detection on high and using onvif device manager i could see that it was triggering motion event. The cpu in these cameras is just barely good enough to handle the normal operation. The UI is very buggy and settings frequently dont save. I had to lower the resolution down to 720p and then the camera seemed to respond much faster and more reliably.

Anyway TLDR. Person detection does work and if you only want person, set thresholds high.

Does anyone know if H265 would actually be better for the CPU? I assume it has dedicated decoder vs h264? I currently have it setup for h264 because he is using synology surveillance station and I think 264 is easier on remote viewing and onvif compatibility vs 265. (synology defaults to h264 when auto detecting the camera).

Last edited:

Robocop87

n3wb
Reaction score
EDIT* I went back and set the thresholds all to high and lowered the sensitivity. I set human detection on high and using onvif device manager i could see that it was triggering motion event. The cpu in these cameras is just barely good enough to handle the normal operation. The UI is very buggy and settings frequently dont save. I had to lower the resolution down to 720p and then the camera seemed to respond much faster and more reliably.

Anyway TLDR. Person detection does work and if you only want person, set thresholds high.

Does anyone know if H265 would actually be better for the CPU? I assume it has dedicated decoder vs h264? I currently have it setup for h264 because he is using synology surveillance station and I think 264 is easier on remote viewing and onvif compatibility vs 265. (synology defaults to h264 when auto detecting the camera).
HI. I have your same cams but I can't install them on my synology nas. during authentication it does not go when I put the password. but you enter the credentials of your synology to authenticate the cameras?