IPC-HDW4231EM-AS vs IPC-HDW4431EM-AS

TaGosa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anybody has pictures or video comparing two? My budget (8-10 cams) is compelling me to take hard look.

And also IPC-HFW5231R-Z and IPC-HFW4231R-Z

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anybody has pictures or video comparing two? My budget (8-10 cams) is compelling me to take hard look.

And also IPC-HFW5231R-Z and IPC-HFW4231R-Z

Thanks and appreciate your help.
there are lots of threads discussing the cams...get the 5231...you will be thankful...

TaGosa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am mainly interested in IPC-HFW4231R-Z and IPC-HDW4431EM-AS pictures. I would deeply appreciate and thank if somebody can provide me pictures which I can compare with IPC-HFW5231R-Z or IPC-HDW4231EM-AS which everybody loves.

IPC-HFW4231R-Z is about $74 and I can afford by stretching budget (10 cams). Similarly IPC-HDW4431EM-AS is about $100 and I may be able to reduce the number to 8 by leaving out some corners. Apart from cams, I will have to spend on wires, NVR, etc too.

I would deeply appreciate and thank if somebody can provide me pictures which I can compare with 5231.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am mainly interested in IPC-HFW4231R-Z and IPC-HDW4431EM-AS pictures. I would deeply appreciate and thank if somebody can provide me pictures which I can compare with IPC-HFW5231R-Z or IPC-HDW4231EM-AS which everybody loves.

IPC-HFW4231R-Z is about $74 and I can afford by stretching budget (10 cams). Similarly IPC-HDW4431EM-AS is about $100 and I may be able to reduce the number to 8 by leaving out some corners. Apart from cams, I will have to spend on wires, NVR, etc too.

I would deeply appreciate and thank if somebody can provide me pictures which I can compare with 5231.
you will deeply regret buy china region cameras to save money....seems like you've already made up your mind...go ahead...youll be sorry

TaGosa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are both IPC-HFW4231R-Z and IPC-HDW4431EM-AS china region? If yes, then I will stay away. Thanks for heads up.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
What is wrong with China region cameras? A lot of people are buying from there, no? I have one IPC-HDW4431R-Z, with English firmware and it's working great.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is wrong with China region cameras? A lot of people are buying from there, no? I have one IPC-HDW4431R-Z, with English firmware and it's working great.
The firmware is not upgradeable inferior Construction... And inferior image quality when compared to The Starlights

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have several chinese 4431M, a chinese 4431R-Z, and an international 2 megapixel starlight(5231E-Z bullet). For the daytime image, the starlight has absolutely nothing over the 2 chinese models. My opinion is that the chinese cameras running at a commensurate higher bitrate have a sharper image. In the dark, the starlight is better. Everyone has to decide for himself if the better night image and easy firmware upgrade is worth doubling the camera budget.

The 4431M has a plastic case. I haven't had the long enough to know personally if that's an issue. The 4431M does not have the attached swivel mount, which could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the situation. I have a couple of them mounted on tree trunks and the 4431M mounting system is an advantage there (for me). The 4431R-Z feels like a metal case to me, and it has the swivel mount. My only gripe with it is the unfiltered LEDs visually jump out during the day.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have several chinese 4431M, a chinese 4431R-Z, and an international 2 megapixel starlight(5231E-Z bullet). For the daytime image, the starlight has absolutely nothing over the 2 chinese models. My opinion is that the chinese cameras running at a commensurate higher bitrate have a sharper image. In the dark, the starlight is better. Everyone has to decide for himself if the better night image and easy firmware upgrade is worth doubling the camera budget.

The 4431M has a plastic case. I haven't had the long enough to know personally if that's an issue. The 4431M does not have the attached swivel mount, which could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the situation. I have a couple of them mounted on tree trunks and the 4431M mounting system is an advantage there (for me). The 4431R-Z feels like a metal case to me, and it has the swivel mount. My only gripe with it is the unfiltered LEDs visually jump out during the day.
The nighttime difference alone is dramatic enough to warrant the extra money...furthermore, not being able to update the firmware can render a camera useless at some point depending on how you use it...for example there was the gmail TLS issue with hikvision cams or more recently an issue with dahua firmware that caused cameras to go offline....not having sd card storage, mic or alarm in is another downside....you dont need to double the budget to get an international camera...for example a 3mp motorized dahua VF turret non starlight IPC-HDW2320R-ZS (no audio or alarm) but has SD card can be had for 100...the fixed 2mp starlight is 123 with dhl shipping, you can likely find it for less with standard shipping. The 3mp IPC-HDW1320S is available for 79....all international versions...