IPC-HDW5231R-Z No Sound?

dkt

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought 2 IPC-HDW5231R-Z starlight varifocal turrents a while back. The first one installed fine with no issues. I just got around to getting the 2nd one installed and there is no audio. I have compared the settings and they seem identical. I tried rebooting the camera with no luck. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

dkt

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you sure it's enabled in setup?
Did you turn off the noise filter?
It is enabled. I have tried disabling, re-enabling, turning noise filter on and off. Here are my current settings:

upload_2018-4-17_13-25-15.png

I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad device or maybe the mic is not connected inside. Haven't tried to open it up yet to look and see if anything is obviously wrong.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is enabled. I have tried disabling, re-enabling, turning noise filter on and off. Here are my current settings:

View attachment 28701

I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad device or maybe the mic is not connected inside. Haven't tried to open it up yet to look and see if anything is obviously wrong.
if you are viewing on a device that is using the substream you need to enable audio on that as well

dkt

n3wb
Reaction score
I jumped the gun a bit on this one. If I login directly to the camera and click the sound icon, I do hear the sound (doh.) So the camera/mic is fine which is nice.

So this must be a Blue Iris problem. I will post a new thread over there if I can't figure it out. My other camera doesn't have any of the substreams enabled so I don't think that would be the issue. Sorry guys I was rushing and got a little ahead of myself.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I jumped the gun a bit on this one. If I login directly to the camera and click the sound icon, I do hear the sound (doh.) So the camera/mic is fine which is nice.

So this must be a Blue Iris problem. I will post a new thread over there if I can't figure it out. My other camera doesn't have any of the substreams enabled so I don't think that would be the issue. Sorry guys I was rushing and got a little ahead of myself.
If you are using Blue Iris then you don't need the sub stream.... Make sure you enable the audio in Blue Iris for that specific camera...

dkt

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

I apparently didn't set the camera up properly/completely under Camera Properties > Video > Configure... The audio format was wrong and the Make Model was generic. I'm pretty new to cameras and blue iris but I'm learning.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Generally, when setting up new cams, in BI enter it's IP, username, password, then click Find/Inspect. Bi will get it right the majority of the time.

Reactions: dkt