(IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same camera, all settings the same. can anyone tell me why the back yard camera is curved like looking out of a fish bowl? Put up front cam to see difference. I checked every setting that I can find.

Thanks

Drew

Attachments

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure I will need to talk to Andy as I just bought these cameras from him both same camera. they are varifocal

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could it be that it is facing down more than straight out?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I bet if you swapped them out you would get the same results, me thinks its the angle facing down. I think that effect is called Barrel distortion. You have a wide field of view on the pool pic, did you test it before you mounted it ? pretty common in wide angle and VF lenses. It will show up more when there is something in the pic that has a straight line, your pool fence is really bringing it out. Might want to drop it down some and test different angles. It is a normal effect from the perspective view of your camera. That is why I will test locations before I mount.

Last edited:

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks c hris
I am going to bring the angle of the lens up and see if it goes to flat.
appreciate your time and thoughts

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Same camera, all settings the same. can anyone tell me why the back yard camera is curved like looking out of a fish bowl? Put up front cam to see difference. I checked every setting that I can find.

Thanks

Drew
Here is a pic of my camera, its 10' up and you can see I also have the issue to some extent, it the same model as yours.

Attachments

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I can see that, and considering my camera is 10 feet above deck and deck is 8 feet or so above ground i can see how my cam would be much more distorted.
Do you use the default settings for camera?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I played a little but for the most part yes, its the best i could get in that area, i turned mine a bit to straighten up the front of the house.