IPC-HDW5431R-Z vs. IPC-HDW5231R-Z

Pianomanjs

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the IPC-HDW5431R-Z yet? The IPC-HDW5231R-Z seems to be one of the most praised cameras on this site. Also the hardest to find anywhere. I did find some IPC-HDW5431R-Z available, and the specs are nearly identical, except the first is 4 meg vs. 2 meg and the low light is .03 lux vs .006 lux. And of course, the 4 meg produces better clarity (DORI Distance) but I'm assuming that is during daylight OR good exterior lighting at night. Google searches on this camera are just about non-existant so I'm assuming the camera must be a recent release. I was wondering what to expect during the low light conditions. With IR on, I'm sure it will be ok. Not sure about the low light with it off.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the IPC-HDW5431R-Z yet? The IPC-HDW5231R-Z seems to be one of the most praised cameras on this site. Also the hardest to find anywhere. I did find some IPC-HDW5431R-Z available, and the specs are nearly identical, except the first is 4 meg vs. 2 meg and the low light is .03 lux vs .006 lux. And of course, the 4 meg produces better clarity (DORI Distance) but I'm assuming that is during daylight OR good exterior lighting at night. Google searches on this camera are just about non-existant so I'm assuming the camera must be a recent release. I was wondering what to expect during the low light conditions. With IR on, I'm sure it will be ok. Not sure about the low light with it off.
Not hard to find at all: Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

And

Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

GaryDZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the only thing I keep hearing is that the 4MP version is bad in low light conditions. My application is indoors with good lighting. I need good detail. Am I better off with the IPC-HDW5431R-Z?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the only thing I keep hearing is that the 4MP version is bad in low light conditions. My application is indoors with good lighting. I need good detail. Am I better off with the IPC-HDW5431R-Z?
Define "good detail".

This was taken with a 2mp Dahua.

Attachments

Last edited:

GaryDZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's an indoor gun range. From 35 ft I would like to see the bullet holes in a paper target. If not 22 caliber, then at least 38. I'm not sure where I would set the optical zoom but the FOV would probably be between 45° and 60°. So maybe a focal length of 8mm?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It's an indoor gun range. From 35 ft I would like to see the bullet holes in a paper target. If not 22 caliber, then at least 38. I'm not sure where I would set the optical zoom but the FOV would probably be between 45° and 60°. So maybe a focal length of 8mm?
So you want to use it effectively as a spotting scope? That's not a bad idea. Having a display zoomed in that you could just look at without changing position would be nice vs squinting through the scope.

I'd probably go with the 4MP in that case. The difference in low light you're not going to be taking advantage of anyway and while I think that the 2MP probably would let you see .22 holes, the higher resolution of the 4MP will let you better distinguish things like whether a shot real close actually breaks a scoring ring, etc. From your description sounds like you want more than just seeing that you're somewhere on paper.

GaryDZ

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's a range where members can swipe an access card and come in and shoot 24/7. Some members (or guests) are either very poor shooters or they are deliberately shooting recklessly. So we just need to see that. The cameras will be mounted on the ceiling about 7 - 10 ft behind the shooter. Each camera will cover 2 ports, each about 3 ft wide. The max shooting distance is 50ft but most "defensive gun" shooters shoot at the minimum allowed distance of 25 ft.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh... completely different than what I was thinking. When you said 35ft thought you might have your own range set up. But I still like that idea. ; )

Doesn't really change much though. I'd still go with the 4MP for the same reasons - you need resolution more than low-light ability. Harder part I think may be to have shooter and target both framed how you want, angles right without targets being blocked, etc., and still be able to see holes very well. i.e., Watching shooter behavior, easy. Seeing holes in a target when set up right probably OK. Doing both at the same time may be kind of tough. There are cameras at the range where I shoot sometimes but they're just there to watch people and for security purposes not to see the shots on targets.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had replaced my old domestic Chinese only one hfw-4431 3,5mm with the hfw-5431r-z. It´s much more better in low light conditions, has a better FOV ( i need to use it at maximum 105°)

It's much better. I use a separate ir spot for night, the night view is for my setup really good and the detail level is slightly better than 2mp hfw5231 I also own.

But you will also notice as for every zoom cam at night a defocus problem. Triggering Autofocus will solve it (unsolved firmware issue for all zoom lens cams). And this is the main reason for a poor night view quality. Of course the starlight sensor need less light to perform, but this cam is not as bad and if you need a better detail level for daytime its a good choice.

old HFW4431 with one 9W IR Spot and one 9W white light spot
-1994985205615725403.jpg -1994985205-211606828.jpg5401476435218053.jpg

HFW5431R-Z same IR spot, full details h265+, but less 3dnr (20), wdr is only 30 (50 old one), picture mode auto
day focus
20170806075439.jpg
night focus@day
20170806075310.jpg
refocused night
20170805234928.jpg
night @ day focus
20170805234146.jpg

If the focus problem is being solved, it would be a really good cam too. If I can catch an animal @ night, I will upload the video of it. The moving objects artefacts are much less on the 5431r-z.

edit: the last pictures have more artefacts as normal due to upload from google pictures ...

Last edited: