IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@bickford yes full zoom would also explain why not seeing IR washout at that FOV. With an FW update or the settings we’ve all shared (HLC+manual IR adjustments or AE comp for those that want to adjust AE) to help (while we await the FW) at least all users have options for now to pull off a balanced image from this really nice cam.

@EMPIRETECANDY also appreciate you taking the FW request for IR investigation to Dahua immediately like you did !

best result i have here is 1/100 yes here its full zoom.

BICK

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@bigredfish exactly !

@RevJoe as I mentioned in my thread 1/60 is the slowest you want to go for walking or slow moving vehicle, 1/100 for people that don't want to hang around and 1/120 minimum for faster moving individuals or vehicles that are moving more quickly (but not fast, for that a minimum of 1/250 for vehicles). In any event you set (based on your target cap needs) these manual shutter speeds in your location and if too dark to make anything out in color then you know you don't have enough light. At that point you either add light or switch to B&W and then dial in your cam settings to balance for the scene as I mentioned. This way you ensure motion blur free caps and an overall cap you will be happy with.

Remember no point in sacrificing a great cap just because of a desire for color if you don't have enough light to make it work.

HTH

....with enough light...

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Remember no point in sacrificing a great cap just because of a desire for color if you don't have enough light to make it work.
Perhaps excessive, but with overlapping cams I have one in colour and one in B&W at different exposures. Colour really assists to identify cars and people, but I don't seem to get the detail (need to rely on the IR cam).
ie: First question I get asked, what colour was the car, what colour was the tracksuit.
Installed my IPC-HDW5442T-ZE and now it is raining!!

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So this cam, seems to identify people and cars, which makes searching for JPEG's and video from the local SD card easier.
Am I correct in assuming Face Detect (to be emailed a picture of people) still requires a NVR with AI?
I am still using the Free DeepStack AI to send Snapshots of people to my Phone and since using, I don't recall a single false positive, had a few misses at night though.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IF..... I understand correct, (IF), the higher the shutter speed, the lower the depth of field (the focus depth gets shorter).
so for 1/250 the auto focus needs to react faster and the fast cars are also driving faster....
But for normal camera, 1/250 is still relatively slow so you should not expect major problems with depth of field nor with focus reaction so we're in luck here.
Also, for a normal camera, I would like faster shutter speeds to get a better and clearer image of the object while for surveillance cam, you would like slower shutter speeds so that everything would be relatively in focus
Is that correct?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
You think the new camera has better day time pic than the 8MP one?
Nightvision will be bit good, you can test hours later this night.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming Face Detect (to be emailed a picture of people) still requires a NVR with AI?
This camera supports face detection (FD). The AI NVR enables you to get face recognition (FR).
About the carious options, as emailing the captured image, I'll know better when I get hands on the NVR I was ordering but I assume it's possible.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, the 8MP IPC-HDW5831R-ZE has great day pics, and good at night (manually dialed in). Auto at night doesn't suite my layout due to the overlapping cams.

The T5442T-ZE pictures appear overly sharp during the day, which is not as pleasing to look at as the 4K. That being said on the limited daytime I could make out license plates, so certainly not disappointing.
That being said, this isn't hollywood so it's about what detail I can capture v's visual appel.
Tonight I will leave it in colour, but suspect I will need more light to make out people in the distance, but already it's a major step up in identifying moving vehicles at night.

random101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had it as above (Overlapping) one colour, one BW.

Now they are both in be in bw.
I’ll change one back to colour. It looked good but did get blurry. But at least could make out colours ect.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@spammenotinoz not excessive at all, I advocate for this setup all the time. Cross cover an area, 1 cam in color, 1 in B&W to give you the best of both worlds generally from different directions. This allows crisp clear B&W details needed for things like facial identification while gaining color details (key for vehicle and clothing).

Perhaps excessive, but with overlapping cams I have one in colour and one in B&W at different exposures. Colour really assists to identify cars and people, but I don't seem to get the detail (need to rely on the IR cam).
ie: First question I get asked, what colour was the car, what colour was the tracksuit.
Installed my IPC-HDW5442T-ZE and now it is raining!!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This camera supports face detection (FD). The AI NVR enables you to get face recognition (FR).
About the carious options, as emailing the captured image, I'll know better when I get hands on the NVR I was ordering but I assume it's possible.
The AI NVR @ArnonZ talked is model No. with I, like NVR5216-16P-I or NVR4208-8P-I, NVR4216-16P-I

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Face Detect as in the you have this set in cam to look for targets it recognizes as Human then snaps a pic of the face is supported on the regular (still has AI features in 4.0 remember) NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2E. However IF you want to have Face Recognition (very different) then you either need a cam that supports it, denoted by a -FR at the end such as 7442H-ZFR OR a true AI NVR denoted with -I like the NVR5216-16P-I. The NVR5216-16P-I features the ability to process 4 x regular Face Detect cam streams utilizing Face Recognition. Just remember that as I've stated before, the Face Recognition models of cams generally trade FR for another AI algorithm. In the case of the 7442H-ZFR you gain Face Recognition but you lose ANPR that the regular 7442H-Z has.

HTH

So this cam, seems to identify people and cars, which makes searching for JPEG's and video from the local SD card easier.
I am still using the Free DeepStack AI to send Snapshots of people to my Phone and since using, I don't recall a single false positive, had a few misses at night though.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Great question and thought I would weigh in with my thoughts on this one.

Personally, having tested and used a number of 4K cams, most, definitely have the edge during daytime as they don't have to compromise their image with processing for sharpness, extra contrast etc (in most cases). Nighttime is a different story and with installs that involve locations with great lighting (fair and good is not enough) they do a good job, but generally still in B&W to be successful. For color at night with 4K you need well balanced light and a lot of it still if you want blur free, usable caps especially at mid to edge of the FOV. Most installs will never benefit from 4K color at night at the moment BUT cams and sensors are getting a lot better with regards to the pairings and their resulting light sensitivity. If people do ask me for a 4K turret or bullet cam recommendation, my personal favorite (if you have to have 4K) is still the 4K (8MP) 2831 bullet cam (original version, IPC-HFW2831T-ZS) as the image and performance in my testing has the edge overall against the 5831. Worth noting there are of course differences between the 2831 and 5831 (1/1,8" vs 1/2.5" sensor, 25/30fps vs 15fps and different aperture optics that combined with the sensors produce light sensitivity at 1/30 of 0.09 @ f1.9 on 2831 vs 0.2 @ f1.4 on 5831).

My advice for others here is again IF you absolutely want 4K then consider a mixed environment, have areas where you can have a 4K and 'other' (2MP, 4MP like the great 5442) cams covering the same area (from different directions). Daytime will give you the benefit of having more image to work with on the 4K but the 5442 gives a great image too and is more of an all rounder enabling it to be more flexible to your install location. At nighttime, If you have enough light for good 4K B&W then you will certainly have enough for amazing B&W & potentially full color from a 5442, therefore they can compliment each other and add to your overall system. However I'll reiterate the cautionary tale that I and others have stated many times, don't chase megapixels (made a post on this HERE). I still hear from a large number of people that believe 4K is the solve all for their install and this is almost always not the case. Better off with a mix of cams like the 5442 to suit the needs of the location, install and lighting. Also remember, never use AUTO, always manually dial in your cam :)

With regards to the 5442 daytime image, as @spammenotinoz mentioned, the 5442 series has always featured a more 'processed' look out of the box but luckily that can be dialed in as well to suit. The 5442 cams including this great new vari do give those on the fence about upgrading from a 5231 or just wanting to step up to 4MP a great reason to do so :)

HTH

No, the 8MP IPC-HDW5831R-ZE has great day pics, and good at night (manually dialed in). Auto at night doesn't suite my layout due to the overlapping cams.

The T5442T-ZE pictures appear overly sharp during the day, which is not as pleasing to look at as the 4K. That being said on the limited daytime I could make out license plates, so certainly not disappointing.
That being said, this isn't hollywood so it's about what detail I can capture v's visual appel.
Tonight I will leave it in colour, but suspect I will need more light to make out people in the distance, but already it's a major step up in identifying moving vehicles at night.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IF..... I understand correct, (IF), the higher the shutter speed, the lower the depth of field (the focus depth gets shorter).
so for 1/250 the auto focus needs to react faster and the fast cars are also driving faster....
But for normal camera, 1/250 is still relatively slow so you should not expect major problems with depth of field nor with focus reaction so we're in luck here.
Also, for a normal camera, I would like faster shutter speeds to get a better and clearer image of the object while for surveillance cam, you would like slower shutter speeds so that everything would be relatively in focus
Is that correct?
I apologize if I'm misreading your post (it's still early for me), but when you say "focus/focus reaction", are you talking about the motion blur that can happen with slower shutter speeds?