IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lots of CCA there if u arent careful
I know, just noticed that, too wild, I can't say I have ever ran across this in my decades of running cable. Cheap Bastards...I just had some CAT6 cable ran in our new house, I just checked marking and no mention of CCA, so I stripped off jacket/insulator and started scrapping the copper wire, no aluminum that I could tell, figure/assumed the copper coating would scrap off pretty easily.

From what I could search, I found this to match the cable markings:

The Cable has a 08/2022 date on it...

I am going to call the Electricians that ran this CAT6 and double check what cable they used...

The world of deception we live in now...thanks for the warning/education...it's been almost a decade now since I ran cable for a living...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The crazy thing is many of the all in one box kits are CCA wiring.
Wow, how are we going backwards? I have seen houses completely rewired to replace the Electrical Aluminum wiring from the 70s 80s and prior...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, how are we going backwards? I have seen houses completely rewired to replace the Electrical Aluminum wiring from the 70s 80s and prior...
All about the cost!

They shouldn't even allow it to be sold.

My neighbor just bought a Costco Lorex system (despite my suggestions/concerns LOL) and I convinced him to let me re-terminate one of the cables and sure enough CCA.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I know, just noticed that, too wild, I can't say I have ever ran across this in my decades of running cable. Cheap Bastards...I just had some CAT6 cable ran in our new house, I just checked marking and no mention of CCA, so I stripped off jacket/insulator and started scrapping the copper wire, no aluminum that I could tell, figure/assumed the copper coating would scrap off pretty easily.

From what I could search, I found this to match the cable markings:

The Cable has a 08/2022 date on it...

I am going to call the Electricians that ran this CAT6 and double check what cable they used...

The world of deception we live in now...thanks for the warning/education...it's been almost a decade now since I ran cable for a living...
i think Remee uses copper, not CCA, so think u are good.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think so too, I scrapped the best I could that small wire, LOL. Never saw any silver color, plus the end shined like copper, not dull like aluminum. But these old eyes may be deceived, hopefully not...

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've read that standard poe cameras use about 100mbps in data so cat5e is plenty for it. But what is the data transfer rate on a 4k camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've read that standard poe cameras use about 100mbps in data so cat5e is plenty for it. But what is the data transfer rate on a 4k camera?
That is the rated ability of the ethernet connection. The cameras will run around 10mbps depending on resolution and bitrate used.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I flatten the wire with pliers, it is copper all the way through. Glad I checked, these are Electricians which I had some electrical work done so while they were up in the attic I had them run some Ethernet cable too. They said they run CAT6 so I just let them use their cable, never crossed my mind to check their box. They charged 18 cents a foot ($180 1000 foot), only had about 200 foot ran...$36

Thank You...

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks for those suggestions.

I guess just pick whichever brand is on sale at the time between those 2?

What makes an HDD "surveillance" rated?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks for those suggestions.

I guess just pick whichever brand is on sale at the time between those 2?

What makes an HDD "surveillance" rated?
Surveillance rated means it has been designed with 24/7 recording to it in mind.

Does that mean that folks haven't used non-surveillance cheaper HDD just fine - no - many cheap NVRs come with basic HDD and they run fine for years. My first NVR was a Swann and it had a low end HDD in it and the drive still works after running for over 5 years in the NVR. It is a spare now that I use for cloning.

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great thanks for that info!

This is the NVR I went with, and it seems to have 2 HDD slots.

Is this second slot in this NVR for a mirror backup or an expansion?

I always like to do a backup of all of my data, so I would go with a higher TB HDD in the main slot and use the second slot for backup if I can.

What size TB should I get?

I have the Dahua 8mp 4k cameras, right now I have 2 and will be expanding to 4-8 in the future. So I don't want to have to worry about upgrading HDD down the line.

How long do you usually want to keep your surveillance data for? 30 days, ,60 etc?

I've narrowed it down to the Purple 14 TB or the 18 TB, which has a difference of about $40

I think since I have 4k cameras, I'm going to go with the 18 TB drives,

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Expansion, and yes the biggest you can afford. (There may be a restriction over 20TB depending on your NVR)
I shoot for 30 days

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no way to use that 2nd HDD as a backup?

If it's expansion only, I guess I'll just go with 8TB drives then and save some money

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I can;t honestly say I know that for certain..
The options on storage are per below. Disc Group and Quota. (and FTP)

This is an older (now) EOL NVR but I think still similar to new versions. Could that be accomplished via Disk Group?

HD-DiscQuota.jpg HD-DiscGroup.jpg HD-FTP.jpg

Cameras typically have a direct to NAS option, there are 3rd parties offering Dahua specific cloud backup, and some NVRs support N+M clusters using a slave NVR, but thats way over my head.

CCTVThomas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my shop my 5442 is aimed at the exterior sliding door. However, this provides some challenge with the right settings. If someone is standing outside, it is clearly visible, but if someone steps inside (especially with dark clothing), the image is very underexposed.
Do you recommend using the Backlight settings in this situation? If so, which ones?
Any other tips?
IMG_2896.jpg

Attachments