IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I received my 4k-T camera yesterday and trying to figure out what cable to use

I see this camera has a lot of different tails to connect to, what is the best one? Cat6 or 7?

What do I do with the other tails, just tape them up?

What is the exposed wire tail for?

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is shielded Cat6 cable preferred?

I guess the cost probably isn't that much more and I might as well get it shielded

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting.
I don't think I've ever used shielded ethernet wire before for anything. Never had a need that I was aware of at least.

All of mine is cat5e unshielded.
When did shielded cat6 become recommended?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting.
I don't think I've ever used shielded ethernet wire before for anything. Never had a need that I was aware of at least.

All of mine is cat5e unshielded.
When did shielded cat6 become recommended?
It's not, it was mainly used in a business environment since running in ceilings that has Florescent Ballast Lighting would interfere if the cable were too close. Now with LED lighting, it is even used less.

There is nothing wrong with running Shielded cable, you get that much more protection from RF interference, but the way networks communicate now I would not lose any sleep over this...any packets lost are just recent...

You are only talking 100MB with Cameras...CAT3 would even work...if you are just going through attic and wall space, CAT5e or CAT6 works fine...

If you are worried about fire or your local building code requires Plenum, then your cost will increase quite a bit.

Here is some Shielded Plenum cable, lol

1717437627654.png

Don't sweat the cable, your CAT5e works just fine...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm going to ask a really dumb question but, do typical switches and nics even have the grounding needed for shielded cat5 or 6 to work?
It looks like the RJ45's are shielded as well. I don't recall seeing that on the jacks of my switches, but I also never really looked.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L
My main complaint with cat 6 is terminating it.
I mean, I can and do, but cat5 is so much easier.
You ought to try terminating CAT7 :)

It is all about the twist...I use Keystone Jacks and a punchdown tool. It is not that bad...if you are coming back to a patch panel, use keystone jacks, it is much easier to just pop the jack out re-terminate if needed...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to ask a really dumb question but, do typical switches and nics even have the grounding needed for shielded cat5 or 6 to work?
It looks like the RJ45's are shielded as well. I don't recall seeing that on the jacks of my switches, but I also never really looked.
So they sell shielded jacks, as far as if switches or nics are shielded, yes most are, defiantly the 10GBs are. The only difference between Shielded cable and Non-Shielded is there is an extra aluminum foil wrap inside the cable jacketing around the twisted pairs. I have seen cable that the jacket was split up like a plus sign + were each pair had it's own jacket and each pair was shielded. I have ran all kinds of different cable...

I would not over think this, unless you plan on using the cable for something other than your Cameras, say 10GB Data in the future, you will be fine with CAT5e or CAT6.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

greymanlife

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@David L
My main complaint with cat 6 is terminating it.
I mean, I can and do, but cat5 is so much easier.
Well that is a fair point.

If I'm not going to utilize cat6, there's no reason to make it harder then I guess and I can go with cat5e

I used to do low voltage years ago, so I'm familiar with working with the wiring & termination. But I got out before cat6 was becoming popular, so I've never worked with it.

I'm trying to find a good deal on some wire on marketplace, there's all kinds of deals.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well that is a fair point.

If I'm not going to utilize cat6, there's no reason to make it harder then I guess and I can go with cat5e

I used to do low voltage years ago, so I'm familiar with working with the wiring & termination. But I got out before cat6 was becoming popular, so I've never worked with it.

I'm trying to find a good deal on some wire on marketplace, there's all kinds of deals.
We use to avg. about $80 a box.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you do not want CCA... especially for POE unless you want to burn your house down.

needs to be 100 percent copper.

check out monoprice
Thanks, I missed that, did seem quite cheap...

EDIT: Wow, looking back on Amazon, there is a lot of the Aluminum wiring being sold...guess no big surprise since it is Amazon...

So guess $140-150 a box is now the going rate. I'm glad I still have two pretty full boxes left from my Cabling Days...

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I missed that, did seem quite cheap...

EDIT: Wow, looking back on Amazon, there is a lot of the Aluminum wiring being sold...guess no big surprise since it is Amazon...

So guess $140-150 a box is now the going rate. I'm glad I still have two pretty full boxes left from my Cabling Days...
129 at monoprice