IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

hkepoch

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, has shipped 20pcs to Amazon for fast orders, new stock will be 2-3weeks later.
Any stock (IPC-T5442T-ZE) available to Canada ? like Amazon.ca ?

Fairly new to this camera. can someone help to answer these questions ? thank you

Q1. I prefer IR at night, as I don't want people seeing the light if possible. If I turn it to be IR, may I know if the light from this model is just a red glow light, or invisible completely, or 2 Bright white/yellow light. thx
Q2. If I turn it to be Color capture, may I know if the light from this model is just a red glow light, or invisible completely, or 2 Bright white/yellow light. thx

Last edited:
Reaction score
I noticed that yours has loryta brand
Andy sells Dahua brand cams. Usually they are not branded with the Dahua name. When you buy directly from him in China by sending him an email, sometimes they are in Dahua boxes and have the Dahua name on the cam. When Andy opened up his Amazon store, Amazon decided that he could not advertise unbranded cams as Dahua, so he brands them as his own brand, which he calls Loryta. They are the exact same cams as the Dahua branded cams.

The IR light on that cam will show as a very small red dot. If you set it for Color at night, the IR emitters are turned off and no light is displayed at the cam.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you in Canada, I'm in Alberta and had Andy ship one direct to me. I just emailed him and he sent me an invoice then shipped the camera to me. It took a few days to arrive.
Definitely the best way to go. Plus cheaper than what is posted on Amazon.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@rahhazar No this camera (5442) would not do that as that Sony camera in your video was in a different league and not necessarily a good one. Let me explain.

That video specifically features the Sony SNC-VM772R which was (now discontinued) a 20MP, 4K mini dome that used their ‘intelligent cropping’ to basically allow you to tap into up to 5 channel streams to provide either 1 x full 4K overview or 1x full HD with 4x VGA only cropped shots. That cam also offered selective encoding or otherwise known as ROI (Region of Interest) selection to ensure only the areas you care about are encoded in high quality. Their ‘evidence shot’ featured 2.5fps shots comprised of MJPEG caps. Was extremely expensive at around $2500 when first introduced and is part of the reason it didn’t sell well. This was a very niche product that these days a number of VMS or other NVR platforms can emulate features of by setting separate cam streams into individual channels etc.

In my opinion the VM772R it tried to be too much of many cams in 1 cam and therefore was a compromise of a product.

Personally if I wanted to mock up Sony’s solution to cover multiple areas within a large FOV like they always demoed with that cam, I would throw a Dahua Hunter (Pano+360 model) plus 1 fixed overview cam (if you wanted or really needed to add to the location) and build the final scene back in VMS. The Hunter gives you 8 areas of ROI selection (4 for Pano, 4 for PTZ). Would accomplish so much more (provides a full 360 for starters), real PTZ with better zoom and tracking, AI capabilities, while giving you the flexibility of choosing a specific 4K fixed cam to dial in exactly what you needed all with better resolution than the VGA crops and simulated tracking of the Sony. All for around the same price, $3k starting price for Hunter solutions with a fixed or vari 4K thrown in the mix and increase expense from there. Just a Hunter alone would give you (depending on chosen model) 1x Pano (featuring 8x2MP sensors), 1x PTZ (4MP) and a fixed or vari 4K (8MP). To be fair even the 180 degree model would work. If you really wanted to go crazy then each of the cams I list also supports multi streams with the Hunter itself offering a selection of up to 6 streams all at up to 25/30fps. Much better solution and not the compromise that the Sony was.

Having said that, would I ever scope a 1 cam does everything solution ? Absolutely NOT. As people know from my posts I advocate for building a system with selection of cams by focal length, type (bullet can, turret. PTZ) specifically for your target zones, target types, FOV, lighting conditions and needs based on location and in the case of security related installs, threat assessment.

Longer post but HTH answers and give you some context on the Sony cam and ‘intelligent’ cropping. The only thing the Sony really had going for it was the size :)

On the topic of the 5442 however, great cam for what it is built to do.

Enjoy !

can you confirm if it has intelligent cropping feature? example in video link attached thanks

Last edited:

rahhazar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@rahhazar No this camera (5442) would not do that as that Sony camera in your video was in a different league and not necessarily a good one. Let me explain.

That video specifically features the Sony SNC-VM772R which was (now discontinued) a 20MP, 4K mini dome that used their ‘intelligent cropping’ to basically allow you to tap into up to 5 channel streams to provide either 1 x full 4K overview or 1x full HD with 4x VGA only cropped shots. That cam also offered selective encoding or otherwise known as ROI (Region of Interest) selection to ensure only the areas you care about are encoded in high quality. Their ‘evidence shot’ featured 2.5fps shots comprised of MJPEG caps. Was extremely expensive for a dime at around $2500 when first introduced and is part of the reason it didn’t sell well. This was a very niche product that these days a number of VMS or other NVR platforms can emulate features of by setting separate cam streams into individual channels etc.

In my opinion the VM772R it tried to be too much of many cams in 1 cam and therefore was a compromise of a product.

Personally if I wanted to mock up Sony’s solution to cover multiple areas within a large FOV like they always demoed with that cam, I would throw a Dahua Hunter (Pano+360 model) plus 1 fixed overview cam (if you wanted or really needed to add to the location) and build the final scene back in VMS. The Hunter gives you 8 areas of ROI selection (4 for Pano, 4 for PTZ). Would accomplish so much more (provides a full 360 for starters), real PTZ with better zoom and tracking, AI capabilities, while giving you the flexibility of choosing a specific 4K fixed cam to dial in exactly what you needed all with better resolution than the VGA crops and simulated tracking of the Sony. All for around the same price, $3k for Hunter solution with a fixed or vari 4K thrown in the mix. Just those alone would give you 1x Pano (featuring 8x2MP sensors), 1x PTZ (4MP) and a fixed or vari 4K (8MP). If you really wanted to go crazy then each of the cams I list also supports multi streams with the Hunter itself offering a selection of up to 6 streams all at up to 25/30fps. Much better solution and not the compromise that the Sony was.

Having said that, would I ever scope a 1 cam does everything solution ? Absolutely NOT. As people know from my posts I advocate for building a system with selection of cams by focal length, type (bullet can, turret. PTZ) specifically for your target zones, target types, FOV, lighting conditions and needs based on location and in the case of security related installs, threat assessment.

Longer post but HTH answers and give you some context on the Sony cam and ‘intelligent’ cropping. The only thing the Sony really had going for it was the size :)

On the topic of the 5442 however, great cam for what it is built to do.

Enjoy !
Thank you so much.
Can you please send me a link to the camera ?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The -I series allows on NVR FR processing of 4x FD cams. In other words applied Face recognition processing to cams that don’t natively support it by processing AI against the stream. In the regular NVR (no -I) AI is supported but only if supported by the cam. I.e If ANPR is supported by cam then supported by NVR, if Face Recognition supported by cam then supported by NVR. The regular NVR cannot apply AI processing on stream to turn an FD (Face Detection) stream into Face Recognition results.
Actually, as far as I understand it, it'll use 4 FR channels from 4 "normal" IPC or 16 channels of FR using FD cams.
As long as the cams are doing the processing of face capture, it can support up to 16 channels of FR.
correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I got it (you can sometimes understand different things from different Dahua's brochures for the same NVR though.

I'm still struggling with the setup (cannot get the IVS to work for some reason - I was choosing IVS over FD for that cam but still nada).
I hope it's my setup but I can't (yet) figure it out what it is. Can't remember if that was the problem with the NVR5216 review. I'm using 2020-06-17 firmware

Anyway, in theory, that way should be much better (for me anyway) because:
  • each cam is doing it's own face capture.
  • I do want smart NVR to share a common DB
  • and that's how I expect it to work: many cams can capture my face but there is only one central location that holds my reference picture, compare it and trigger the alarm if it's not me.
  • I also expect such a system to work with central NVR because if one camera caused triggering the alarm, I expect all cams to record. NVR should be much more than NAS.

aem9999

n3wb
Reaction score
I started setting up my new camera. One irritant is that I can't paste into the password field using chrome (safari works). It seems like the onpaste="return false" has been added to the logon screen html. My older cameras don't have that field.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I started setting up my new camera. One irritant is that I can't paste into the password field using chrome (safari works). It seems like the onpaste="return false" has been added to the logon screen html. My older cameras don't have that field.
it took you longer to make this message, then it did to type your 10 digit SSID Password into the field.