IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mounting question
can i mount camera on vertical wall?
looks like i would need to rotate the turret 90° to make the image come out the correct orientation
does the turret rotate 90? Still safe from rain/snow/ice?
This is a pic from @looney2ns's review below.

The camera "ball" itself is waterproof (well, IP67 rated) no matter which way its aimed. You can pretty much rotate/aim these types of cameras any degree/direction. You're right about rotating the turret 90' (from how it's shown in your diagram) to make the image come out the correct orientation.

It is possible to leave the camera orientated as shown in your diagram .. folks here called that "corridor mode", which results in a much taller but skinner image. This is sometimes useful when mounted on a front porch near a door as that FOV allows seeing the porch floor (i.e. good for checking for delivered packages) while still being able to capture all of a person (i.e. someone at the door). In that case, there is a setting in the camera that can auto-rotate the image so the orientation is correct.

Zimberto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
mounting question
can i mount camera on vertical wall?
looks like i would need to rotate the turret 90° to make the image come out the correct orientation
does the turret rotate 90? Still safe from rain/snow/ice?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@strafer, seeing @Zimberto's post above made me remember this... if you want to mount the camera directly to the wall (i.e. not use a mount), you'll have to drill a larger hole in the wall in order to pass the camera's thicker waterproof Ethernet connection through the wall. There isn't extra space behind the camera to tuck this cable.

If you use a mount, you can drill a smaller hole in the wall (to pull an unterminated Ethernet cable from inside through). Terminate it outside of the house, then it and the cameras waterproof Ethernet connection will all fit in the mount

The picture from @Warptrooper shows what it looks like with the camera mount, the picture from @bickford shows it mount directly to the wall.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So since we are on the subject of Mounts, the red circled area is where I have Ethernet cable ran to, at the crest of the eave in-between where the two back fascia boards meet there is a gap there (see pic 2 below).
First I was thinking of a PTZ CAM hanging off a pole mount but now thinking of the 5442 Turret. What Mount do you guys suggest for the Turret?
As you can see with the bottom picture I have about a 2 inch lip of fascia I have to get past. Figuring the PFA130-E Mount will extend the Cam low enough for that, if I mount it upside down, angled off the soffit. The PFB204W Mount may work too.
View area will be driveway/street area. Thinking 2.7mm focal, but can adjust with this vari-focal.

1595905685253.png
1595905862877.png
1595905938760.png

Thanks,
David

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So since we are on the subject of Mounts, the red circled area is where I have Ethernet cable ran to, at the crest of the eave in-between where the two back fascia boards meet there is a gap there (see pic 2 below).
First I was thinking of a PTZ CAM hanging off a pole mount but now thinking of the 5442 Turret. What Mount do you guys suggest for the Turret?
As you can see with the bottom picture I have about a 2 inch lip of fascia I have to get past. Figuring the PFA130-E Mount will extend the Cam low enough for that, if I mount it upside down, angled off the soffit. The PFB204W Mount may work too.
View area will be driveway/street area. Thinking 2.7mm focal, but can adjust with this vari-focal.

View attachment 67356
View attachment 67357
View attachment 67358

Thanks,
David
My experience is you dont want to have cams that high up. I will be moving my 5442 down.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My experience is you dont want to have cams that high up. I will be moving my 5442 down.
So question, what about a LPR there? I know there needs to be a certain downward angle pointing to a fixed location on the street to capture license plates.
My problem is we have 10 foot ceilings in most of the house except they are 8 foot in the Garage and the front Dining Room (3 windows) & Laundry Room (far left window), so getting cable there is very difficult, well maybe not the Garage area either middle or right corner, think I can get to that area.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So question, what about a LPR there? I know there needs to be a certain downward angle pointing to a fixed location on the street to capture license plates.
My problem is we have 10 foot ceilings in most of the house except they are 8 foot in the Garage and the front Dining Room (3 windows) & Laundry Room (far left window), so getting cable there is very difficult, well maybe not the Garage area either middle or right corner, think I can get to that area.
I'm still very green at this, but to me that doesn't look too high.
From what I've seen too high means two or three stories up looking down. Try to get something on the other side of the garage door as well

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in LPR camera location/use, but the lower the angle the better. If you can get down around four feet, or even three feet, it would be better. The more "straight on" the view is, the better the view is. You're dealing with a very reflective, to IR, surface and as the angle increases, in any direction, distortion, fuzziness, gets introduced which makes it harder to read. The biggest factor, besides the right zoom and focus, is the shutter speed.

Reaction score
From what I've seen too high means two or three stories up looking down.
Two or three stories? Then you better be looking 80-100 feet out otherwise all you will get is a great shot of the top of someone's head. It's all in the angle of attack. A lower angle gets you a better chance of getting a useable face shot.

Angle of attack.jpg

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Two or three stories? Then you better be looking 80-100 feet out otherwise all you will get is a great shot of the top of someone's head. It's all in the angle of attack. A lower angle gets you a better chance of getting a useable face shot.

View attachment 67380
Depending on the person, that could be used for identification. ;)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've seen too high means two or three stories up looking down. Try to get something on the other side of the garage door as well
Too high is anything above 8ft, if you care about getting a face ID. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Too high is anything above 8ft, if you care about getting a face ID. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
So what about a LPR at 10-11 feet high? I am looking at about 90-100 feet out to cap license plates on the street, just a guess though. Can you direct me to a good link here on how to plan/measure for a LPR install, may be what I need for our front eave. I can do 1 or 2 Cams at 8 feet high either from my garage or both ends of the front of our house. I bought two 5442 Turrets, both the 4MP, one fixed and the newest vari-focal. One is for our backyard, hoping the fixed 3.6mm will work there, but plan to install the vari-focal there as a focal test first. The vari-focal most likely will go in the front. May order another vari-focal if I need two in front but thinking one should work.

LPR 10-11 foot eave?:
1595988818327.png

Cam on each corner, 8 foot eave, but 2 seems to be covering most of the same front yard/driveway area:
1595976394105.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in LPR camera location/use, but the lower the angle the better. If you can get down around four feet, or even three feet, it would be better. The more "straight on" the view is, the better the view is. You're dealing with a very reflective, to IR, surface and as the angle increases, in any direction, distortion, fuzziness, gets introduced which makes it harder to read. The biggest factor, besides the right zoom and focus, is the shutter speed.
Thanks for your reply, just not sure where I can get that low with a Cam and have a straight focal shot with a non-blocked area for it to work for me. Our house is not in the best spot. Our street is a busy street being a thorough-far.

Reaction score
Recently picked up a 5442T-ZE from Andy, sample image below.

I didnt really think about it at the time but its mounted above an exterior light and our street is fairly well lit at all times anyway. Wondering if I'd be better off moving this to our backyard (much less light) and using something else in this location. Maybe a PTZ to have the option to scan side-to-side.

Very happy with this so far, but any recommendations on other cams I may consider?

Would be happy to answer any questions on the cam or install as well. My first time putting one up and using BI.

1595991094733.png

Zimberto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What you have there is ideal for this camera. You have enough light to give you good clear color images at night. It's not the most interesting of scenes to watch, but that's a different issue. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L - 10 feet for LPR is fine. Mine is on my 2nd story and my house sits above the street, so it is probably more like 3rd story height difference from cam to street. I have a worse angle than yours going out 165 feet and still get plates.

You will probably need this cam to get plates at your distance IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E. The big keys are shutter speed 1/2,000 and zoom in tight enough that all you really see is the car. This camera is for LPR only and not overview duty. That is the biggest mistake people make - trying to make it do both. At night the image will be completely black except for when a car comes by and all you will see is the head/tail light and license plate.

This following subforum has a ton of information for setting up LPR:

Reaction score
So what about a LPR at 10-11 feet high? I am looking at about 90-100 feet out to cap license plates on the street, just a guess though. Can you direct me to a good link here on how to plan/measure for a LPR install, may be what I need for our front eave. I can do 1 or 2 Cams at 8 feet high either from my garage or both ends of the front of our house. I bought two 5442 Turrets, both the 4MP, one fixed and the newest vari-focal. One is for our backyard, hoping the fixed 3.6mm will work there, but plan to install the vari-focal there as a focal test first. The vari-focal most likely will go in the front. May order another vari-focal if I need two in front but thinking one should work
You would have been smart to have just gotten the varifocal and used it on a test rig to decide what fixed lens to get for your back yard rather than hoping the 3.6mm will work.

The 5442 turret varifocal will never get you plates at 90-100 feet. As @wittaj stated you are going to need something with way more zoom, like the cam he suggested. But before you buy two, I suggest getting just one and use a test rig to see if you can get plates from where you expect to mount it. That is what I did. I also sent those caps to Platerecogniser to see if it would work. In my case it was not a problem so I bought the second cam.