IPC-HDW5442T-ZE vs IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe I need to add 1 or more cameras in order to detect at further distances than the IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE is picking up.

Looking at various cameras, I was thinking that a camera like the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE without the variable-focal would be worth looking at.

I found the IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE and after reviewing the specs, it seems that it is indeed the same camera without vari-focal.

Based on what I have seen playing with the 5442T-ZE and the article The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection | IP Cam Talk, it seems to me that there is not much of a reason to go with the 5442TM-ASE, since it is only about $35 cheaper, but I wanted to get the opinions of those that have used both.

So, is there any compelling reason(s) to go with the IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE rather than the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE?

Thanks,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 series is all 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor. The differences are fixed versus varifocal along with some being full color.

The only reason to go fixed lens is if you are sure that the fixed lens will provide the capture needed for what you want to accomplish (overview or IDENTIFY within 10-15feet at night).

The fixed lens can provide a marginally better image but most cannot tell the difference.

Most people though end up wishing they had more optical zoom, so the varifocal is nice, plus if you ever update that camera location, the varifocal is more versatile to add it somewhere else.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Based on what I have read here the fixed focal model has a slight edge in night time performance compared to the varifocal.

The DORI of the varifocal may come into play vs. a fixed length.

Reaction score
The fixed focal length for that cam comes in 2.8, 3.6 and 6mm. The varifocal is 2.7-12mm. The 12mm setting is twice that of the 6mm cam.

I have the varifocal, 2.8mm and a 6mm version of that cam. Unless you have very low light, you will not be able to tell the difference.

What you need to do is decide what focal length you actually need and buy the appropriate cam.

Realize that there is also the bullet version that has a Z4E version that is an 8-32mm varifocal. So if you need more zoom, that is a great cam.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. It seems that the $35 additional for the vari-focal is worth it, just for the ability to be able to change the distance and tweak it until I get it set to the proper distance for each area.

It finally hit me yesterday that zoom was for setting the camera to the correct distance, not using it to zoom in on something after I see it. I don't know why it took so long for that to register in my brain, but it now makes sense as to why I wasn't able to detect any further out than I was getting.

I have stayed away from the bullet cameras for now because my wife wants subtle. My thought is to get the turret cams right now, and then when the need arises, I can use that as an opportunity to get 1 or more bullet cameras if that is what is needed.

A couple of additional question I forgot to ask....
1. How much difference does an Aperture of F1.6 make over an F1.8? Is it going to be noticeable or is the difference negligible?

2. Looking at the DORI numbers on the 5442T-ZE it shows "W" and "T" rather than a number for the Lens value, I am thinking that "W" is "Wide" (zoomed all the way in for wider FOV) and the "T" is for "Tight" (zoomed all the way in for narrower FOV, but longer distance). Is this correct?

3. What are the degrees and the "H"/"V"/"D" on the FOV? Is this the horizontal/vertical/distance of the amount of space you can DORI at that distance?

Thanks,

Eric

Reaction score
Aperture for IP Cams is just as in photography, like sports photography with an SLR or an DSLR. The bigger the opening, the more light is let in and the DOF is shallower than a smaller opening. The only real way to know the difference is to do a side-by-side comparison. But qualitatively, I can't tell the difference between the cams around the house.

Yes 'W' is wide, and 'T' is telephoto. So for the varifocal version, the 'W' is at 2.7mm and the 'T' is at 12mm.

The sensor is not square. So the degrees listed as H/V/D are for Horizontal, Vertical, and Diagonal.