IPC-HDW5831R-ZE vs DS-2CD2165G0-I(S) ? what better?

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
vs

whats a better camera out of these?? the hikvision seems to have .008lux on colour where the dahua is only .05lux

what would be better at night time? or better overall??

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I try and avoid making camera recommendations without knowing the target area light levels.
The Hikvision has much better low-light performance but requires a well lit area, or you subjects will blur. But it is a dome so you need to be aware of the downsides.
The Dahua quoted is from the Professional Series, but actually isn't that good at night without supplemental IR lighting. (With effort, you can dial it in so it's not bad just you can do a lot better).
The Dahua 5442 has much better time time performance, if you need detail you will still need to use IR. Fixed focal length will have better night time performance.
Read the Cliff Notes and don't expect 1 camera to do everything.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ideally i would like a good camera around 8MP that works well at night with little light.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ideally i would like a good camera around 8MP that works well at night with little light.
Your heading in the wrong direction chasing megapixels. Read the cliff-notes. Double the resolution requires double the sensor size. A low-light affordable favorite here is the 2231 and it's 2MP.
The Dahua 5442 (4mp) is still probably the best low light camera around. I pair them with Hikvision DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) 8mp for colour.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cool, the 5442 is what i use the majority of times. seeing if anything better out there yet

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
cool, the 5442 is what i use the majority of times. seeing if anything better out there yet
5442 is a great cam, although like all my Dahua cams they struggle with VBR and a busy scene. I recently moved them to H.265 (10,240), I was running H.264H at a crazy 20480. Yes that is insane, but I have the storage and if I dropped it lower can see some blur on those windy days.
Also find 15fps is the sweet-spot, increasing FPS leaves less room in the stream for detail. I prefer more detail than frames. Due to the sensor size I can run much faster shutter speeds than my 4k's and get clear pics of moving cars.
IR range is pretty piss weak though.
1661756739369.png

Last edited:

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i will try those frame rates etc.. never thought of playing with them like that.