IPC-HFW4431R-Z still the best varifocal for under $100?

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Time for me to replace several 2.8mm and 4MM fixed cams with varifocals. I need like 3 of them, so starlight ones are out of budget. Is IPC-HFW4431R-Z still the one to go with? I have one in my "collection" and it is my fav varifocal I own.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hacked from Chinese cams, can't be updated and seems now have some problems working with dahua new NVR

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using BI, so isn't much of a concern re. NVR. Firmware... I don't have any complaints yet. Price with great night performance is why I like this cam. But I will buy something if it is better varifocal and fits my budget.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using BI, so isn't much of a concern re. NVR. Firmware... I don't have any complaints yet. Price with great night performance is why I like this cam. But I will buy something if it is better varifocal and fits my budget.
night performance is garbage on that cam...

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well then my standards may be low. What can I get for under $100 with at least decent night performance and varifocal? To be fair though, I have perimeter lights all around the house, so there aren't truly any dark dark spots.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me say this, You CAN update the firmware but it does NO good to help with the Night time issue. The IR in these cams can blast a area so bad you cannot recognize anything, everything is washed out. Their is a reason they are so cheap...they really are for daytime only. Night time forget about it unless its going inside where you have some natural light. The smart IR in these cams is not so Smart.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well then my standards may be low. What can I get for under $100 with at least decent night performance and varifocal? To be fair though, I have perimeter lights all around the house, so there aren't truly any dark dark spots.
why do you need varifocal?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm disappointed to not see any answer to the question the thread is about, making me wonder if there even are any other varifocals under $100? I've got a 4431r-z and am planning on adding more. My standards are low, too, but if there's a better one for the same price, I'm "all ears".

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
why do you need varifocal?
Simple answer: varifocal gets me the right FOV.
1. Vari I can dial in my FOV just right on every cam. 2. As I upgrade cams, I can move a cam to a different location and I can always get FOV right.

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lol, my standards must be low also. Don't laugh but before joining this forum i came from the netgear arlo systems... :( I have two of the IPC-HFW4431R-Z and i think they are wonderful for the price. Granted, i have them pointed at doors and inside my garage so i have no need for varifocals but for the price these are awesome! I too would like to see other's response to this topic.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could you buy one varifocal starlight and use that to make a pretty good guess as to what zoom you'd need then get some of the fixed lense $120 starlights?

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is the problem with those very nice cameras: I have to buy mounts for them and when 2+ units will come DHL, there will be customers taxes. So you end up with $200+ per camera.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think @EMPIRETECANDY has ways of dealing with that. And mounts are what only like $11 or $13 maybe? But I get it... They add up when ordering multiples. And if you can drill thru the wall big enough for the connector to fit thru you wouldn't need them if you can access it on the other side.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think @EMPIRETECANDY has ways of dealing with that. And mounts are what only like $11 or $13 maybe? But I get it... They add up when ordering multiples. And if you can drill thru the wall big enough for the connector to fit thru you wouldn't need them if you can access it on the other side.
I have superinsulated my house. Drilling 12"-20" through multiple layers of insulation, then redoing airsealing etc. is not my cup of tea.

Really wish there was in between option. I love being on these forums, but seems like most suggestions end up focusing just on one camera and on "the best". Sometimes we just need "good enough", the "B+ student", the "2nd place" winner.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From what I understand there are better cameras available for more money. These starlights, I think, fall Into that second best category, for the price of course.

Unless your getting them for something other than security. I've got a shitty $20 Craigslist wifi camera that watches my garage door so I can know 100% for sure if it's closed or not. For ANY OTHER purpose it would be a horrible choice.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know much though, everything I know I learned from this forum.

But I do know you already got your answer. Nobody seems to have a - EDIT: varifocal - camera they would recommend in your price range.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know much though, everything I know I learned from this forum.

But I do know you already got your answer. Nobody seems to have a camera they would recommend in your price range.
you can buy the fixed dahua starlight turret for 100 (slow shipping)...better than a shitty china region motorized varifocal...

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It would be so nice that in the sticky list of Dahua starlight and other cams there were prices right next to each model.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah I didn't know slow shipping was that much. He quoted me less than that (I think it was something like $7 or $8 less on a 2 camera order once.) Can't remember if that was total or per camera as I just opted for the fast shipping.