IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It is a shame. I have the same problem using one as an LPR camera. Of course it wouldnt matter if I was using it to watch grass grow. It still goes out of focus when switching from color to B&W so badly to make it useless unless you force it to stay in B&W full time.

Even then I see similar focus issues as you describe, but not quite as bad...

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yea thats the worst part. Mine is changing focus on its own in the middle of the day without even a screen change. To the camera its a steady scene of stone and grass and road and BAM it shifts focus and stays out of focus

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

giel

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea thats the worst part. Mine is changing focus on its own in the middle of the day without even a screen change. To the camera its a steady scene of stone and grass and road and BAM it shifts focus and stays out of focus

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Same here, except that it even starts out-of-focus. Manually focus, leave it for a while, come back and it's out of focus. But only when zoomed in quite a bit.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Quite a bit of discussion about the refocus problem with the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 and I think the solution I used was missed by a few in my OP. The switch utility described in the link below works great. A few minutes before sunset the utility switches to the night profile and performs a "manual" focus and it reverts back the day profile and refocuses a few minutes after sunrise.
Dahua day/night switch utility - DahuaSunriseSunset

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Same here, except that it even starts out-of-focus. Manually focus, leave it for a while, come back and it's out of focus. But only when zoomed in quite a bit.
Do you have PTZ enabled in BI for that camera? I was inadvertently causing zoom to occur while navigating around BI until I disabled it.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot...A power outage can cause a refocus to occur.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
guys, i was thinking of going with the Z12 to get plates cause we're getting blasted by mail thieves...you think this location will be good/acceptable? will this be a good cam for the job??...I'd need to zoom in of course..

the focus issue does seem to be putting me off...should I go for Z12e?....any alternative you might recommend?

Thanks!

IMG_1941.jpg IMG_1940.jpg IMG_1939.jpg

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
guys, i was thinking of going with the Z12 to get plates cause we're getting blasted by mail thieves...you think this location will be good/acceptable? will this be a good cam for the job??...I'd need to zoom in of course..

the focus issue does seem to be putting me off...should I go for Z12e?....any alternative you might recommend?
Thanks!
That's a tough call, you'll probably have to force manual zoom by using adjustFocus to get past your pole. You should check it against the IPVM Camera Calculator V3. I assume you have different camera on the mailbox?

While watching someone run off with your mail can be entertaining a better solution (than LPR) is to get a locking mailbox.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a tough call, you'll probably have to force manual zoom by using adjustFocus to get past your pole. You should check it against the IPVM Camera Calculator V3. I assume you have different camera on the mailbox?

While watching someone run off with your mail can be entertaining a better solution (than LPR) is to get a locking mailbox.
Yes, I'm using a 49225 on the mailbox...it worked great for plates too, but had to choose between either of those two targets since it's the only cam i have capable to doing both those jobs currently

Oh believe me. Got a locking mailbox. They’re prying it open. Cops are demanding. They want excellent face shots AND a plate. I’ve got the excellent face shots need the plate!

Last edited:

brundon

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming you are still using free Open ALPR how are you retaining data after 2 days?

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm setting up an IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 this weekend for a friend for LPR purposes. My first time dabbling in this. He is using an NVR, not Blue Iris. Has anyone set one up this way or is everyone running BI?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m running one on a 4208 PoE nvr. Other than having to keep in b&w due to the focus shift problem, it’s doing ok.