Security Camera Solves Hit & Run Mystery

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
On March 14, 2018 a neighbor's car that was parked outside his house was involved in a hit and run. His house is located about 1 block away further up the hill from our house. A Few days after the incident (Sunday March 18, 2018), this neighbor (who I never met before) knocked on our door and asked me if by any chance one of my security cameras might have seen something. He gave me a 23 hour window that the hit and run could have occurred. He told me that some digits from the suspects vehicle license plate were left impressed on his bumper. He was able to see 2 digits completely and a 3rd partial digit. He also said that the suspect vehicle appeared to have a license plate frame around the plate with some writing on it but he wasn't able to read any of the lettering from his bumper.

A few weeks earlier I had added my first license plate camera a Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 and it was pointed at the street he lives on. After reviewing the captures from that camera I found 1 possible vehicle. It was a truck that appeared to have some damage around the license plate area and bumper. The license plate number had the 2 digits he had given me. When I gave the victim the full license plate number he told me that he had been able to see a third digit on his bumper and that full plate number was an exact match to his bumper.

The truck was a company owned commercial vehicle with a company name stamped all around the truck. Because of an incident the day before the hit and run, I remembered seeing this vehicle drive down the same street when reviewing another incident. When I checked the video from the day before the hit and run I found the same vehicle with no damage around the license plate and bumper. I gave the photos of the truck to the hit and run victim. He gave the photos to the police and they found driver. The insurance company for the commercial truck agreed to pay the claim of the hit and run victim. I don't know what happened to the driver of the truck, but the victim was very grateful and offered me $100.00 for my time. I declined the money and told him that I was glad I could help a neighbor.

Here are 3 photos from the incident. The first photo shows the victims damaged BMW car. The victim told me that the impact was so great that his car had moved 7 feet from where it had been parked and that his undercarriage was damaged. The second photo shows the hit and run vehicle the day before the crash. The 3rd photo shows the hit and run vehicle right after the crash.

1 Hit & Run Victim Car.jpg 2 Hit & Run Vehicle Before Crash.jpg 3 Hit & Run Vehicle After Crash.jpg

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow - absolutely correct! That's professional work.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Way to go.

I gave my neighbour picture sequence of his car taking a hit from a Suburban.

he tracked the vehicle down and got the guy to pay for damages.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
lulu could you add a mailbox cam to your system, so we can get daily updates to what happens in the hood?

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
There have been people driving up here to see for themselves the street where the mountain lion was seen walking. Here are some guys that stopped to see if they could see the camera. As they drive off one says "that's the car!". How many people can say a mountain lion stood next to their car?

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is one of the reporters recording her video segment. There were deer walking around the street behind her and they were worried they might get hit by the vehicles driving by. Her name is Maria Medina from KPIX 5 in San Francisco. The title of her video segment is "Mountain Lion Caught on Camera Near Alum Rock Park in San Jose" if anyone wants to see her report, you can find it in the KPIX 5 web site.

Maria Medina KPIX 5 San Francisco.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a small world....I lived in San Jose for 1-1/2 years, then next door in Santa Clara for another 28 years....retired to NW Alabama in 2004. Talk about culture shock! My first 2 years here I was passing people that were doing 70! I've slowed down now....ZZZZzzzzz....... :cool: