IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

Olivier

n3wb
Reaction score
My own experience has been that car makes/models and the originating state are pretty hit-and-miss with OpenALPR, but I don't worry too much about it. As long as you get the plate number, and an image of the vehicle, the authorities can quickly figure out the rest. OpenALPR may not get the make/model correct, but a human being almost always can.
It's not a big deal. Just the data nerd in me that would like to get info and the slightly compulsive side that hates to see inaccurate info :)

One thing that is useful is if you can add a second camera for nighttime viewing that is set to capture the vehicle rather than the plate. As you have already learned, optimizing for nighttime plate capture leaves only the tail/headlights visible. With images from a second camera, the police can at least verify if the plates match the vehicle, or if the vehicle has stolen plates.
I have more cams to install, including another LPR for the cars going the other way. The LPR cams will be dedicated to it and then have a few more for perimeter. Will report on my settings, etc. once I have everything refined.

azapa

n3wb
Reaction score
Stupid question I'm sure but: does this need a host PC running 24x7 local to the camera, or is there any way it can just be the camera at remote location connected to the internet via an average DSL connection? I would really love a stand-alone camera with built in NPR and FTP upload on detection, but those cameras seem to cost >400$ and also requiere some hard to find firmware flashes to work.

THanks for your time in reading

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Stupid question I'm sure but: does this need a host PC running 24x7 local to the camera, or is there any way it can just be the camera at remote location connected to the internet via an average DSL connection? I would really love a stand-alone camera with built in NPR and FTP upload on detection, but those cameras seem to cost >400$ and also requiere some hard to find firmware flashes to work.

THanks for your time in reading
This camera has no built in LPR function..

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm using the free version of OpenALPR for now.
View attachment 24375
Did the alert option disappear after your free professional trial ended? If so, did the http webhook option also disappear? If the alerts option vanishes but the webhook doesn't, then I'll be ok as I can send an http post to myself and turn that in to an SMS.

Marble68

n3wb
Reaction score
Question - how fast are the cars going when you get these? 30mph? 15mph? 45?

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
crc2004, I picked up and installed the Dahua and copied your configuration settings just now. Two things that I can't find the settings for:
1. The video is choppy, not smooth running like yours.
2. Manual zoom does not appear to allow me the level of granularity your menu offered. I have two sliding bars, and an option to "auto zoom". But cannot find the ability to type in the specs you went through.

Any help you can offer?

brundon

n3wb
Reaction score

Does anybody know if I will be able to get this angle to work? This is the day profile just to show the angle and I am still trying to get night mode focsed. Cars drive by at 30-45mph.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
crc2004, I picked up and installed the Dahua and copied your configuration settings just now. Two things that I can't find the settings for:
1. The video is choppy, not smooth running like yours.
2. Manual zoom does not appear to allow me the level of granularity your menu offered. I have two sliding bars, and an option to "auto zoom". But cannot find the ability to type in the specs you went through.

Any help you can offer?
on 1) what are your fps and iFrame settings? Look in your IPC (not NVR), iFrame is well hidden in IPC settings. you don't need to have 30fps, but aim at 10-15 (as in rule: you need GOOD quality frames than fluid but blurry). Your iFrames should match the fps (eg 10-10).
On 2) are you looking at NVR?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score

Does anybody know if I will be able to get this angle to work? This is the day profile just to show the angle and I am still trying to get night mode focsed. Cars drive by at 30-45mph.
It looks like your image is suffering from noice. The only way to know for sure is to drive your car in circles, and have a look yourself on how well it goes. The zoom nor the angle are "optimal" in this case.

stizzymack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I love this idea, but I wanted to know is this a "beginners" project or more of an "advanced" project? I have 4 cams running blue iris and would like to add a LPR if it's not too complicated for a beginner.

Thanks.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I love this idea, but I wanted to know is this a "beginners" project or more of an "advanced" project? I have 4 cams running blue iris and would like to add a LPR if it's not too complicated for a beginner.

Thanks.
Hi Stizzymack, are your cams able to "spot" the license plates during the day and night? Think about position, angle, exposure, lightning etc. If not, you have to tweak your stream in such a way so the images can be read not only by human (if that fails, CPU will probably fail too), but also by CPU. Have a look at LPR Walk Through / Tutorial too start with. Then you'll have to "select" the way you're going to work with these captures - there are a couple of solutions (some free, some $$$) depending on your requirements and capabilities. The sky is the limit!

Hope this helps!
CC

stizzymack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Catcamstar,
Currently I just have a few Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) cams, but I inquired because I am in the research stage of LPR's and determining if its something I can do without a steep learning curve. There is a ton of info here, just trying to digest it all so I don't get in over my head.

Thanks.

Last edited:

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
on 1) what are your fps and iFrame settings? Look in your IPC (not NVR), iFrame is well hidden in IPC settings. you don't need to have 30fps, but aim at 10-15 (as in rule: you need GOOD quality frames than fluid but blurry). Your iFrames should match the fps (eg 10-10).
On 2) are you looking at NVR?
Thank you for this response. I am slowly walking through each and every setting, painstakingly changing just one measure at a time, then capturing a video, and then changing the next setting to see the results.
Luckily (or unluckily), I have quite a bit of traffic in and out of the neighborhood, so I am able to capture the next video quickly as I go through this.
NOTHING I have done is able to capture the high quality and clear nightime views of the both the vehicle and the plates like you have. I can get the setting so that it looks like a dark screen, then when the vehicle enters or exits, I am able to clearly see the license plate, but so far I haven't been able to get the grey scale looking views you have achieved. I will keep trying different combinations of settings though.
Also, a quick question: Dusk and Dawn provide grainy images that do not clearly show the license plate numbers, no matter if I am using the NIGHT settings to cover that span or DAY settings. Are you having the same experience?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for this response. I am slowly walking through each and every setting, painstakingly changing just one measure at a time, then capturing a video, and then changing the next setting to see the results.
Luckily (or unluckily), I have quite a bit of traffic in and out of the neighborhood, so I am able to capture the next video quickly as I go through this.
NOTHING I have done is able to capture the high quality and clear nightime views of the both the vehicle and the plates like you have. I can get the setting so that it looks like a dark screen, then when the vehicle enters or exits, I am able to clearly see the license plate, but so far I haven't been able to get the grey scale looking views you have achieved. I will keep trying different combinations of settings though.
Also, a quick question: Dusk and Dawn provide grainy images that do not clearly show the license plate numbers, no matter if I am using the NIGHT settings to cover that span or DAY settings. Are you having the same experience?
One sidenote: in my country, license plates (not only the back ones, but also the front ones) have to be fully reflectant - especially handy when cops want to "flash" someone whilst speeding. That reflection does help to make my images crisp and clear.
Regarding your additional question: which schedule do you currently use? I've got my "night" profile on the 1/2000 aperture (like shown in the other LPR walkthrough), and my profile management on Day/Night. And that works like a charm.
Hope this helps!
CC

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One sidenote: in my country, license plates (not only the back ones, but also the front ones) have to be fully reflectant - especially handy when cops want to "flash" someone whilst speeding. That reflection does help to make my images crisp and clear.
Regarding your additional question: which schedule do you currently use? I've got my "night" profile on the 1/2000 aperture (like shown in the other LPR walkthrough), and my profile management on Day/Night. And that works like a charm.
Hope this helps!
CC
Thanks CC. I have used both my Day and my Night profile (changing when it starts and stops) to find out if I could get "Dusk or Dawn" photos to be clearer. So far I have not found the magic configuration. So I am assuming that you continue to get clear photos during the transition from Dusk and Dawn each day? (that would be very encouraging. It would mean that I just need to get my settings correct).
I am in the US. We have a mixture of old/new plates as well as some people who put a plastic protective cover over their plates. So the variety of good/poor captured plates is just part of the game for me. Most plates are good and very reflective, so I get great samples during the day and night.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks CC. I have used both my Day and my Night profile (changing when it starts and stops) to find out if I could get "Dusk or Dawn" photos to be clearer. So far I have not found the magic configuration. So I am assuming that you continue to get clear photos during the transition from Dusk and Dawn each day? (that would be very encouraging. It would mean that I just need to get my settings correct).
I am in the US. We have a mixture of old/new plates as well as some people who put a plastic protective cover over their plates. So the variety of good/poor captured plates is just part of the game for me. Most plates are good and very reflective, so I get great samples during the day and night.
I went in my playback videos, unfortunately I do not have cars passing by in the transition period, but indeed, the image is than "grayscale" wonderland. So not sure whether (or not) my plates would come out very crisp & clear. I need to drive out tomorrow morning, hopefully at the right time.

Keep you posted.
CC

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi I just picked up the same camera I am in the Bayarea in CA I was wondering if someone has any contractor information who can do the similar setup for me or some user who lives in the area who can do similar setup for me I have ordered a camera thru andy and it should be here within a week or two. I can even pay a user who can help me out.

Thank You !

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi I just picked up the same camera I am in the Bayarea in CA I was wondering if someone has any contractor information who can do the similar setup for me or some user who lives in the area who can do similar setup for me I have ordered a camera thru andy and it should be here within a week or two. I can even pay a user who can help me out.

Thank You !
You can make your own installation thread, post your settings and sample images in it - there are tons of good souls on this forum to help you further.

Good luck!
CC

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
You can make your own installation thread, post your settings and sample images in it - there are tons of good souls on this forum to help you further.

Good luck!
CC
Awesome I am so excited to get this Camera up and running soon. Thank You Everyone What a great forum.