IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My light definitely makes a difference, but I want more.
I have purchased some LEDs + lenses, and some power source, but it is very hard to buy all the right components. I will have to come up with some weatherproof housing as well.
At least I'm experimenting with this setup. Not going overboard, just trying out some 5W LEDs.
Recommend using the Axton IR Illuminator. Using the 20 degree x 10 degree about 100' out from a pretty sharp angle. Expensive with lifetime warranty and no comparison to the IR illuminators sold on Amazon.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hard to beat that snap. You have a pretty straight on angle which helps tremendously
I live close to the end of the street where it turns into another street. The cars coming and going into the other street have been pretty easy. However, a lot of people like to come down there and make a u-turn. I'm trying to compromise and catch it all, still a little tweaking to do.Front_Right.20200906_160719420.jpg
View attachment LPR.20200906_135912_1.mp4

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've noticed that option and wondered about it. I've left it alone but I need to read about the iris setting. Here's one of mine from last night. I believe this is around 80 - 85 feet. I need to save screenshots of my options once I finalize things so I will have some sort of record in case I ever have to start from scratch.
View attachment 70030
Holy shit I wish my states tags were that easy to capture. The text on my plates is gold on blue, non textures plate, and any dust / grime makes it almost unreadable with IR light

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Davahad

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recommend using the Axton IR Illuminator. Using the 20 degree x 10 degree about 100' out from a pretty sharp angle. Expensive with lifetime warranty and no comparison to the IR illuminators sold on Amazon.

Here are pics from tonight using Open ALPR.

License Plates Night.JPG

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
These LPR cams are a new experience for me, earlier when it thundered I could see the view from the cam move just slightly. I have to say though that through all the rain this camera kept on capturing those plates.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well shit, we had a good rain, I may have to put up something to channel away the water falling off the eaves to help prevent at least some of this:
Just experienced the same pour down. Hopefully the crooks break for the rain too. :) I have not seen a crook carrying a TV while holding an umbrella, yet, though now a days anything is possible.

I know ya'll are talking about LPR Cams though.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't read the tag on this one! You probably get the squirrels, leaves, shadows, etc like I do but yesterday I saw this bobcat - out in the middle of the day.
Wow, been in Texas most of my life and never saw a Bobcat, though in my many times through the woods I am sure one or more saw/watched me :) Good cap from your LPR...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the Dallas area, I've been in this neighborhood for 36 years, never knew about the wildlife until I got cameras. We've seen rabbits, possums, raccoons, skunks, bobcats, coyotes.
Yep seen all on your list but the bobcat, you forgot the:

1600723804704.png

But mainly I see them in bars :)

Go Cowboys!!!

So to not get off topic, I got the outside of my house painted last week before our Beta storm so hopefully I will be mounting my 5231 LPR soon after our 3 days of rain :)

Reaction score
In the Dallas area, I've been in this neighborhood for 36 years, never knew about the wildlife until I got cameras. We've seen rabbits, possums, raccoons, skunks, bobcats, coyotes.
The only wild things I get on cams in my area are possums, racoons, cats, lizards, palmetto bugs, and the occasional armadillo.