IPC-T2231T-ZS one dim IR LED

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just received this camera from Andy's Amazon store yesterday, as I needed a varifocal for my back porch. Just finished setting it up on the bench, and noticed one of the IR LEDs is half as bright as the other. Everything else is working fine.

Should I be concerned? It won't get a lot of use in black/white. I think my porch lights should keep it in color, but I may have the back porch lights off from time to time, and don't want to lose any available IR illumination.

I guess I can mount it this weekend and see, but I wont be able to know if its output is reduced because there is nothing to compare to.

Anyone with this cam: are your LEDs the same brightness?

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two of these cameras and I just checked and they both have one IR LED brighter than the other. They see perfectly in the dark so I assume this is normal.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
check to see where your IR is set under settings ( if it's adjustable) mine you can adjust the IR from 0-100. try taking it to 100% and look at the IR LEDs again to see if there's any change.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
noticed one of the IR LEDs is half as bright as the other.
Just guessing here ...
Could it be because it's a varifocal that the IR LEDs are different beam angles so that the illumination is better spread for the different fields of view?
This would cause the apparent brightness to be different.
This is quite common and more obvious on the manual varifocal cameras with the older-style ring of LEDs where there is a mixture of 30Deg, 45Deg and 60Deg LEDs as seen by their differing beam-shaping reflectors.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
check to see where your IR is set under settings ( if it's adjustable) mine you can adjust the IR from 0-100. try taking it to 100% and look at the IR LEDs again to see if there's any change.
I messed with IR settings in manual mode, one is always brighter than the other at any percentage. Tried resetting, same thing.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just guessing here ...
Could it be because it's a varifocal that the IR LEDs are different beam angles so that the illumination is better spread for the different fields of view?
This would cause the apparent brightness to be different.
This is quite common and more obvious on the manual varifocal cameras with the older-style ring of LEDs where there is a mixture of 30Deg, 45Deg and 60Deg LEDs as seen by their differing beam-shaping reflectors.
This does make sense. Maybe it's designed that way. It's my first varifocal with built in IR, so nothing to compare to. Plus, @JDfromDB is saying both of his are like this, so I feel more confident that it's not defective. Thanks for the replies.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Try enabling Smart IR then turning off and back to manual model varying the IR intensity. When you reset to default, do a reset to factory defaults