IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
This FW makes this camera a different monster. Zoom and refocus are a vast improvement.
They must have put a "V 20" chip in the software. ha ha ha

Hint:
Younger computer users will JFGI whoops, TLA + 1 I fail.

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Keep in mind it was switching from Chrome to Explorer that gave you those additional buttons, not the firmware update....
I was aware of that, that's why I've uploaded the two screenshots so you could see the difference between two browsers.

Now I'm installing both cams again using Synology Surveillance Station, and was wondering which one to use best...the Dahua (Synology supported) or the ONVIF one?

onvif.PNG dahua.PNG

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
This FW makes this camera a different monster. Zoom and refocus are a vast improvement.
They must have put a "V 20" chip in the software. ha ha ha

Hint:
Younger computer users will JFGI whoops, TLA + 1 I fail.
Glad you're enjoying it ! :)

Whoop

n3wb
Reaction score
I moved and left my 5241's at the old house. I am hoping to pickup 12 of the 5442's but it seems the most I can add to my cart is 6. Is this a temporary limit due to supply or is there something else going on?

Thanks!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I moved and left my 5241's at the old house. I am hoping to pickup 12 of the 5442's but it seems the most I can add to my cart is 6. Is this a temporary limit due to supply or is there something else going on?

Thanks!
Place 2 separate orders or what I would do is message Andy direct?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks!
That is strange. Which shop you are asking? ipcamtalk shop or aliexpress or Amazon??

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone else seeing an issue with the new firmware where the preview video in browser (chrome or palemoon) reloads every 15 to 20 seconds? @Wildcat_1 you've spent a lot of time testing, so also curious on your thoughts.

I tried on both fixed and variable zoom 5442s and both have this issue within the web interface of the cameras.

Screenshot_20220306-220113_Chrome.jpg

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone else seeing an issue with the new firmware where the preview video in browser (chrome or palemoon) reloads every 15 to 20 seconds? @Wildcat_1 you've spent a lot of time testing, so also curious on your thoughts.

I tried on both fixed and variable zoom 5442s and both have this issue within the web interface of the cameras.

View attachment 121257
@Cj500 cannot speak to Palemoon but I just retested this on Chrome on a Mac and do NOT see this issue on any of the 5442s running this FW. For reference tested on Chrome 98.0.4758.109 and Chrome 99.0.4884.51 without issue. I always test and recommend IE and that doesn’t have any issues either.

HTH

Last edited:

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

View attachment 121257
Both Chrome and IE don't have these issues

1646671424731.png

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 @78suited I just updated Chrome on my laptop and closed a ton of tabs, and it seems okay now. I also had it happen a few times on my Android Chrome browser last night, but not today. Odd, but seems like maybe CPU usage might cause the issue when it's struggling to stream. So far, no issues in the Android app and the firmware is working well overall.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 @EMPIRETECANDY

I am getting generally good results with this firmware (after following your recommended upgrade procedure), but I am having quite the issues with one 5442 camera (a fixed 2.8mm, manufacture date June 2021) that I will be using in rotated/corridor mode as a front entry camera (so rotated either 90 or 270 degrees in the camera interface directly, not in Blue Iris). I cannot seem to get any IVS rules to pick up a human in testing with the camera rotated to this position, regardless of how much "help" that I provide in sensitivity adjustment or Global IVS setup (three vertical meter sticks, one horizontal). I have also seen some occasional random anomalies when I go in to setup the IVS Global Setup rules, it sometimes shows spurious entries that should not be appearing, such as references to "Isotherm filter" as below. At that point, it also generates an error with adding the single Horizontal ruler after adding the three Vertical rulers. Weird huh? I have done one more Default (but not a second factory Default) , but the issues remain.

Isotherm filter.jpg

Would you mind testing one of yours, or letting me know if you did any prior tests in this manner (rotated, with IVS rules looking for Human targets)?

Edit #1: I have had exactly one actual trigger out of dozens (if not hundreds) of passes by (using "Intrusion" under IVS, with Appears and Crosses checked). The one time it worked was at night using the built-in IR. On the other hand, SMD does work well in this rotated position, but IVS seems essentially useless in the rotated vertical/portrait orientation.

Edit #2: Hmm..I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't similar or related to the one from this post (different manufacturer, but one has to wonder):

Edit #3: Yeah, I have to conclude that this is a bug. Apparently Dahua never tested IVS functions in the vertical rotated position, as I can simply switch back and forth between a functioning IVS with the camera in the normal (non-rotated, 0 degree setting), and a non-functioning IVS setup simply by using the built-in camera rotate 90 degree setting (or 270 degree), with no other changes needed. Ugh, there goes one of the major functions I needed in my application....

Edit #4: Earlier I said that SMD works in the rotated position: I should qualify that, and note that while it does detect humans walking into the field of view (good), it also triggers on any sudden changes in light level (not so good, quite annoying).

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 @EMPIRETECANDY

I am getting generally good results with this firmware (after following your recommended upgrade procedure), but I am having quite the issues with one 5442 camera (a fixed 2.8mm, manufacture date June 2021) that I will be using in rotated/corridor mode as a front entry camera (so rotated either 90 or 270 degrees in the camera interface directly, not in Blue Iris). I cannot seem to get any IVS rules to pick up a human in testing with the camera rotated to this position, regardless of how much "help" that I provide in sensitivity adjustment or Global IVS setup (three vertical meter sticks, one horizontal). I have also seen some occasional random anomalies when I go in to setup the IVS Global Setup rules, it sometimes shows spurious entries that should not be appearing, such as references to "Isotherm filter" as below. At that point, it also generates an error with adding the single Horizontal ruler after adding the three Vertical rulers. Weird huh? I have done one more Default (but not a second factory Default) , but the issues remain.

View attachment 121376

Would you mind testing one of yours, or letting me know if you did any prior tests in this manner (rotated, with IVS rules looking for Human targets)?

Edit #1: I have had exactly one actual trigger out of dozens (if not hundreds) of passes by (using "Intrusion" under IVS, with Appears and Crosses checked). The one time it worked was at night using the built-in IR. On the other hand, SMD does work well in this rotated position, but IVS seems essentially useless in the rotated vertical/portrait orientation.

Edit #2: Hmm..I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't similar or related to the one from this post (different manufacturer, but one has to wonder):

Edit #3: Yeah, I have to conclude that this is a bug. Apparently Dahua never tested IVS functions in the vertical rotated position, as I can simply switch back and forth between a functioning IVS with the camera in the normal (non-rotated, 0 degree setting), and a non-functioning IVS setup simply by using the built-in camera rotate 90 degree setting (or 270 degree), with no other changes needed. Ugh, there goes one of the major functions I needed in my application....
@jrbeddow I’ll do a few tests in vertical mode over the next week on a couple of cams and let you know what I see.

IPCamer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY

Some questions about the new firmware "empiretech-5442-smart-ir-general_ipc-hx5xxx-volt_multilang_np_stream3_v2-840-15og008-0-r-220218-bin":
1. Is this security issue also resolved in this firmware ?​
2. Do you need to perform a factory reset after installing this firmware ?​
3. One annoying thing after a reboot of the camera: The P2P function is back enabled after a reboot, while it was set to disabled prior to the reboot. Is it possible for Dahua to fix this?​

Thank you for your dedication to maximize the camera functionality into your cameras.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
1. Is this security issue also resolved in this firmware ? Yes, that is right, actually we update this fw in Dec for the security issues.
2. Do you need to perform a factory reset after installing this firmware ? No need, just a normal default.
3. One annoying thing after a reboot of the camera: The P2P function is back enabled after a reboot, while it was set to disabled prior to the reboot. Is it possible for Dahua to fix this? Don't make factory default, then will not remove any old settings.

IPCamer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY

Thank you for your feedback.
For the P2P function, it will be set back to enabled every time you will do a reboot (also a scheduled reboot), it is not related to set settings to "default" or "factory default".H
Sorry , will verify again. For now it seems to work correctly. Probably set to the default settings did solve the issue.

Last edited:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY Of the six 5442 cams I have purchased and installed from you recently, one of them won't allow me to access it directly from Chrome. The login page never comes up at all. Running the V2 2022 Feb Version firmware on all six cameras. It also doesn't come up with Safari, but it does come up with Firefox. Any ideas?