IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS IPC-T5842T-ZE SMD 3.0 Smart IR Latest New Firmware From EmpireTech

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, finished my testing on the fixed cam (5442 2.8) as well. Went all the way up to 21-11-05 and also the latest 22-02-18 and in completing the factory reset procedure I shared during each, I can confirm the IVS rules in corridor mode do work on this cam too. I stand by my findings above though that there are delays seen AND that target filter adds a further delay (tested with pure intrusion or trip rules vs target filtered) so will be filing that bug I mentioned. Also, I can categorically state that per my above comments, in my testing, certain FW versions have more delay in IVS response than others (21-09-30 has the quickest still). I also tested re-aquisition of target in corridor mode (something I've done in normal mode testing on each release but not corridor before this) and while that isn't bad across the board it still lags behind its normal (horizontal) brother orientation + again is slower on some FW than others. On re-aquisition 21-07-29 is OK, 21-09-30 is good, 21-11-05 is bad, 22-02-18 is good but still slightly beaten by 21-09-30.

So in summary, corridor mode and IVS does work, it does however invoke a slight delay (as mentioned above) over its horizontal orientation, target filtering adds a further delay in this mode, certain FW versions exacerbate these issues and when updating, definitely abide by the factory reset procedure I shared as these 5x42's are more 'sticky'. My recommendation in the bug will be that on the IVS response, target filter, rule breach delay issue (especially for corridor mode) that code changes between 22-02-18 and 21-09-30 be examined further (will share my thoughts on specific code adjustments) for the next release AND critically that no changes are made to SmartIR, keep that as is :)

For reference @jrbeddow this fixed 2.8mm is a v1 and I can now confirm that there was no v2/s2 of the fixed 5442's ONLY v1/s1. The vari's I tested on are numerous and span v1 and v2.

HTH

Last edited:

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Checked the recording (constant) around that time and yes switched without issue so cannot replicate this one. I setup a number of cams last night to test this and all switched fine. Will also check tonight as well
Thanks for testing! Tonight the shutter speed setting was not lost upon night schedule switch. I did click save a couple times and restarted and hit save a couple more times yesterday, so I'll keep an eye on whether that sticks for more than a few days. The randomness of some of these issues is what concerns me a bit. I noticed it happen twice early in the week (only because I noticed alert footage was blurry) and I went in both times and had to set the shutter speed again because it defaulted back to 40ms. Fingers crossed it sticks for good this time.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I assume he is talking about just doing a "Default" and not a "Factory Default". The "Default" on its own should not reset the networking.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score

Pseudoreal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
with the dahua toolbox, you can pretty easy change the IP address even though your computer is not in the same range...

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not to slight in any way the excellent advice on dialing in camera settings provided by @wittaj (in many locations, including here: Just picked up my first two 5442T-ZE's from Andy... where to start? ), but I was wondering if others (calling @Wildcat_1 , @looney2ns , or any others) have any even more specific advice targeted to the 5442 cameras.

I have certainly used that excellent advice to get my cameras reasonably well setup, but if anyone has any more specific tunings that work well for them, I'd love to hear more. Some of the previous linked advice gives some fairly broad ranges that apply to various Dahua IP cameras, just wondering if we can agree on even more precise numbers specific to this 5442 series of cameras (obviously this will be somewhat dependent on each persons installation site and conditions).

TIA

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to slight in any way the excellent advice on dialing in camera settings provided by @wittaj (in many locations, including here: Just picked up my first two 5442T-ZE's from Andy... where to start? ), but I was wondering if others (calling @Wildcat_1 , @looney2ns , or any others) have any even more specific advice targeted to the 5442 cameras.

I have certainly used that excellent advice to get my cameras reasonably well setup, but if anyone has any more specific tunings that work well for them, I'd love to hear more. Some of the previous linked advice gives some fairly broad ranges that apply to various Dahua IP cameras, just wondering if we can agree on even more precise numbers specific to this 5442 series of cameras (obviously this will be somewhat dependent on each persons installation site and conditions).

TIA
It is generally better to dial in each cam to the install location, environment, target requirements for capture, lighting and FOV. If you'd like, DM me and we can set some time where I can take a look a your cams and assist with dialing in. Let me know. Happy to help

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is generally better to dial in each cam to the install location, environment, target requirements for capture, lighting and FOV. If you'd like, DM me and we can set some time where I can take a look a your cams and assist with dialing in. Let me know. Happy to help
I almost forgot to ask you, did you ever encounter the what I believe to be a spurious "Isotherm Filter" box under IVS Global Setup yourself? Here it is again, this time prior to adding any settings on this page ...(ignore the scene, the camera has been moved again to another indoor location for more bench-testing). I am still seeing this, despite doing a second round of resets in the form of Factory default followed by another flash to the Feb 18 2022 firmware (on top of the same version). Oh, and I am also back to the point where sometimes after adding the three vertical rulers, it will not permit me to add the single horizontal ruler, claiming in a Yellow text box "Vertical ruler can only draw three!" even though I have selected the radio button for adding a horizontal ruler. This camera is possessed!

Isotherm Filter2.jpg

I have now seen the occasional IVS target (trigger) getting acquired after moving the camera to this room and walking around extensively within it, but it is still nowhere near as fast or effective as my other 5442 cameras in normal horizontal mode. This one takes what I consider an absurdly long time to finally produce an ONVIF trigger output, and could not be counted on in a real-world "production" environment.

Last edited:

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone on latest firmware encountered a behavior where there's no indication of any events recorded on camera internal storage? Screenshots below.
As you can see, no blue box on days where events happened on new firmware. Using different browsers makes no difference.

Attachments

Pseudoreal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what I notices with the new firmware: I cannot set 8192kb/s while on 15 frames / 15 i-frames and H.265. The max CBR is then allowed with 7424kb/s. I was under the impression that with the older firmware, this was possible.
On H.264 I still can select 15fps with 8192.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone on latest firmware encountered a behavior where there's no indication of any events recorded on camera internal storage? Screenshots below.
As you can see, no blue box on days where events happened on new firmware. Using different browsers makes no difference.
Yes, I've seen that on the past two or three firmware updates for this camera. I reported that to Andy and Dahua but I've not heard any further about it.

tormund

n3wb
Reaction score
I just upgraded all my firmware, and of course read this after. Is there a way to determine if the firmware is good to go by inspecting something in the web interface?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Being the perpetual skeptic, when I finally do decide to upgrade firmware, and assuming it's gotten no bad reports here on IPCT, I always factory default the camera BEFORE updating the firmware. Then, once it is updated, I factory default three more time to make sure everything "took" and settles down. As with everything YMMV, but I've never had a problem, so far, knock on wood.

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
In case anyone decides to downgrade from the latest to an older firmware. Tried going back to V2.820.15OG004.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-29 because I encountered some additional issues with the latest firmware that I couldn't resolve even with multiple factory resets. After downgrading, 5442 went into a boot loop. Thought it's bricked so I brought it inside. Thankfully a reset button did the trick. I was able to initialize it again via browser (for some reason couldn't do it via config tool).

As for what was the issue that made me downgrade. For some reason some of the exposure menu settings changed whenever I logged out from the camera webpage. I'm not 100% sure which settings specifically but I think it's 3D NR. Whenever I logged out, the cam would suddenly bump 3D NR significantly higher, resulting in a blur fest at night. If I logged back in and opened the exposure menu it would fix itself. It's like the settings don't 'stick'.

Really strange. I'll do some more testing the next few days.

Last edited:

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After finally installing my vertical/corridor mode 5442 in it's real (outside) location in my front entryway/courtyard, I have had much better luck getting the IVS rules to trigger when I walk through this space (it works almost all the time, I'd say about 95%). However, despite not having the Target Filtering turned on at all (for Humans or Motor Vehicles), it never registers a hit when small animals walk into or through this space (cats, raccoons, etc). I have one Intrusion box rule defined with both Appears and Cross selected (and both Enter and Exit chosen), and the sensitivity turned up to the maximum (10): I also have two zigzag shaped Tripwire rules in this space with the Direction set to "Both", and the maximum sensitivity (10) here as well. Still absolutely no hits at all for small animals; it is as if the Target Filtering is still turned on to exclude everything but Humans, but I swear it isn't (at least in the GUI interface, perhaps it is on the back end). I also have the maximum sensitivity setup on the IVS Global Setup page, but no luck there either.

At least I no longer see the B.S. "Isotherm Filter" setting on the IVS Global settings page, it seems to be gone forever after several more full power on/off/on reboots.

I have found one bug that is reproducible: it is well documented that Smart IR and the BLC setting cannot be used simultaneously, right? I agree, however you can have entirely different settings for Day and Night profiles, which I tried to take advantage of: in my daytime setup (I have the in-camera Profile Management set to Full Time "Day" mode, but use the modern Blue Iris "scheduler version" of the Sunrise/Sunset utility to switch profiles) I have all IR lighting turned off, and thus Smart IR is also turned off. Here I can successfully setup Backlight mode to BLC. In my Night profile, I have BLC deliberately turned off, and I do have Smart IR turned on. All is well and works with these settings just fine right up until the moment that the camera goes through a reboot or power cycle: upon booting/powering back up, the Daytime BLC setting is always reverted back to OFF (in both Day and Night profiles), and Smart IR is also back to OFF for day and Night profiles. Somehow, the internal software logic detects a conflict that it resolves by setting both of these back to OFF regardless of the otherwise workable setup.

dimammx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys

The Smart IR firmware with SMD 3.0 V2 2022 Feb Version has been released. The update is mainly for Smart IR, IVS and SMD function, highly recommend to update.

This firmware is working great with the help of @Wildcat_1 @looney2ns 2 and lots of guys here.

IPC-T5442T-ZE
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPC-T5241TM-AS
IPC-B5442E-ZE
IPC-B5442E-Z4E
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV
IPC-D5442E-ZE
IPC-D5442E-Z4E
IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
IPC-HFW5241E-ZE
IPC-HFW5241E-Z5E
IPC-HDPW5442GP-Z
IPC-HFW5241T-AS-PV
IPC-HFW5541TP-AS-PV
IPC-HDW5541HP-AS-PV

Can refer to the our amazon shop for camera details.

Hi Andy I thought this firmware is not recommended for IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E, but it is listed in the first post, is it still not recommended?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.