IPC-T5442T-ZE what distance should it start record?

Nibbler

n3wb
Reaction score
I have this camera: IPC-HDW5442T-ZE from EmpireTech and using BlueIris.
If I read the description here: https://www.dahuasecurity.com it says identify 6m and detect 58m.
My camera starts to record when something is approx 7 meters away. If it can detect 58 meter it should be able to start record when things are longer away than 7 meter?
Is there a setting with distance when it should record that I haven't found?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris motion detection is different than camera motion detection.

There is no distance setting, although there is a global config calibration, but that is more for AI.

Have you set up motion in the camera GUI and are having BI use ONVIF triggers or are you using BI motion?

If you setup the motion in the camera GUI, which one are you using - Motion Detection, Smart Motion Detection, or IVS rules?

Post screenshots of you motion settings from the camera and BI along with the field of view the camera sees.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, doesn't really work that way. It's not distance based. I triggers when it detects motion that meets whatever settings for detection. Distance will affect the apparent size of the object and how much it seems to move. As above, post how you have things set up.

Nibbler

n3wb
Reaction score
Some screens shots.
Would be better if the blue area covered the whole camera view.

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg
'4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, that is a tight field of view and wrong settings, so it will be problematic.

In the camera GUI you need to make the FPS and i frame interval match. Right now, it will take 2 seconds before BI will acknowledge the motion. So between wrong settings and tight field of view, it will miss quite a bit.

Further 15FPS is all that is need. Do 15FPS and 15 iframe.

Bitrate is way too low - make it 8192

Are you running default/auto for things like shutter, brightness, etc.? If so that impacts the ability for motion detection and you need to manually adjust them to your field of view. For example, contrast should be about 7 higher than brightness.

In BI:

• Switch algorithm from Edge Vector to Simple Vector
  • Open up Object Detection and uncheck the "Moves X number of pixels" and uncheck the "reset if x% of size" as those are used to eliminate false triggers and you have the opposite going on. Your comment about it would be better if the blue area covered the whole area isn't the motion zone - that is saying anything larger than that blue block will untrigger the camera. The whole field of view is covered by Zone A.
  • Bring min contrast down to say 20 or so

Further thoughts:

• You really should be using the substreams - it will make a huge difference in CPU usage, which can directly impact motion detection if the CPU is too high.
  • You should try H264 as H265 can macroblock too much.
  • If you only care about human, why not use the built in AI of the camera instead of BI motion? If you want to track a pet, then yeah you will need BI motion.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
First thing, the motion settings in the cam aren't doing anything for you in BI. You'd need to check "Cameras digital input or motion alarm" under the Trigger tab to pass those through. Also under the Video tab > Configure button > check the box for "Get ONVIF trigger events." Also if trying to detect humans, generally better to set regular motion and SMD off and use IVS. You need to set up whatever tripwires/intrusion boxes to work as you want.

So cam triggers aren't in play (yet) so they won't trigger any recording.

You also have no motion zones set up. Under Trigger > Motion Sensor > Configure button > check the button for "Use zones and hot spot" and select Edit button. In the screen that comes up you'll draw a zone wherever you want it to set where something will trigger.

The two ways above, on-camera detection and BI's detection, are separate and independent. Both can be used but generally you'd pick one and use that. The AI-based IVS detection on the cam usually will be best to trigger on people without false alerts. BI's basic motion detection will trigger easily but will give you a lot more falses. Typically what one would do in that case is to turn off BI's motion detection (uncheck Motion sensor on Trigger tab) and rely only on the ONVIF triggers from the cam's AI-based IVS as above.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First thing, the motion settings in the cam aren't doing anything for you in BI. You'd need to check "Cameras digital input or motion alarm" under the Trigger tab to pass those through. Also under the Video tab > Configure button > check the box for "Get ONVIF trigger events." Also if trying to detect humans, generally better to set regular motion and SMD off and use IVS. You need to set up whatever tripwires/intrusion boxes to work as you want.

So cam triggers aren't in play (yet) so they won't trigger any recording.

You also have no motion zones set up. Under Trigger > Motion Sensor > Configure button > check the button for "Use zones and hot spot" and select Edit button. In the screen that comes up you'll draw a zone wherever you want it to set where something will trigger.

The two ways above, on-camera detection and BI's detection, are separate and independent. Both can be used but generally you'd pick one and use that. The AI-based IVS detection on the cam usually will be best to trigger on people without false alerts. BI's basic motion detection will trigger easily but will give you a lot more falses. Typically what one would do in that case is to turn off BI's motion detection (uncheck Motion sensor on Trigger tab) and rely only on the ONVIF triggers from the cam's AI-based IVS as above.
He doesn't have MD set up in the camera, so the Get ONVIF triggers still won't trigger until he sets that up.

But I agree, if he only cares about people, setting up the IVS in the camera and using its AI will result in much better performance.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, a lot going on there so I skipped past that. They aren't doing anything either way in BI so just cut to the chase with IVS. Best way depends on how he wants things to work.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep! Unless they are looking for animals, the IVS is the way to go:

Nibbler

n3wb
Reaction score
I will try doing these changes.

There are a bit to many settings for a casual like me :)
It is not animals that Im looking for. Humans up to no good I would say.

Most of them are the standard settings right now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case, then set up the IVS rules within the camera and let it do its thing!

Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI (assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

• In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".
  • Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.
  • Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box.
  • On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab (those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)
  • On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.

Nibbler

n3wb
Reaction score
I did the settings toy suggested, and it seems to work I think.
Have to check a bit more but so far it seams to work way better.
A bit worse image quality and delays if you look at the stream. But instead it records when it suppose to, and that is of course more important.

Thank you very much!
Would have been impossible to figure out this on my own.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to help!

I assume you are talking about the substreams. You can up the bitrate of the substreams and it will look better. Also, when you solo the camera in BI, it will switch to mainstream.