IPC-T5842T-ZE: Video stream stops / freezes with 4k in web view

Flachzange

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am pretty new to this forum which I found after looking for some professional advice, which seems to be rare in the consumer-model flooded IPCAM market. Based on Wildcat_1's fantastic review, I bought a couple of IPC-T5842T-ZE from Andy, from which I have two installed so far. The cameras are basically working fine and am playing a bit with the settings to get the best out of it. However, with both cameras installed so far, I have issues with the full 4k resolution, which is the default configuration.

The maxium resolution that works is 3072*1728 with 25fps. If I set any resolution higher (either 3072*2048 or 3840*2160), the video freezes in the live stream immediately or after a few seconds. It is basically a still picture.

I also tried reducing fps and bitrate but even with fairly low settings as 15fps and 2048 Kb/s the issue remains the same. This can be reproduced for both cameras.

Firmware was upgraded to version V2.840.15OG007.0.R, Build Date: 2021-12-13. Also Factory Reset was done.

Later, I also integrated the two cameras into a Lupus NVR (Dahua OEM) but here I can see the same issue in the recording. It does not play recorded motion picture and the stream itself seems not "playable". However, exporting the recording to a file via USB let me play it as expected on my pc.

Integrating the live stream into various mobile apps (Lupus via TCP 37777 or generic ONVIF) also works fine.

Did I miss any configuration or a known issue?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers!
Chris

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What model NVR and point us to the specs.
NVR has two basic capabilities: Incoming bandwidth it can record, and decoding capability to playback. My guess is you're max'd out on the decoding.

Try SmartPSS for live viewer/playback. Then it will be a matter of whether the PC its running on is powerful enough to stream it at full res.

Flachzange

n3wb
Reaction score
First, thanks alls for coming back to me so quickly

We need lots more details. How are you viewing them? More importantly, what's the network topology, a simple sketch would help? What are you viewing them on?
Sure. I noticed the issue first when using the live web view of the cameras itself . Then I tried the NVR but just for testing. I have not used this one before, but here noticed the same issue. And last, I used my iPhone with a generic IPCAM app as well the offical app from Lupus. No issues on the mobile (via WiFi).

Network topology is rather simple: A single D-LINK DGS 1520 switch in the center of everything and another SOHO switch somewhere else but cameras (and NVR) a directly attached to the D-LINK.

I will bet a funky cat cable.
Brand new Cat.7 tested before with Gigabit connection and no packet loss. Occurs on two different cables for both cams. Also works on the mobile, so I guess we can at least exclude the cables to the cameras.

What model NVR and point us to the specs.
NVR has two basic capabilities: Incoming bandwidth it can record, and decoding capability to playback. My guess is you're max'd out on the decoding.
It is a LUPUSTEC - LE918 4k (an older Dahua made NVR): Specs in German only: But as said above, I would suggest to neglect the NVR topic as it is already visible with the camera itself.

Try SmartPSS for live viewer/playback. Then it will be a matter of whether the PC its running on is powerful enough to stream it at full res.
No issues with SmartPSS! SmartPSS was opened on same machine as the non-working web view.

Today I installed Camera #3 and guess what? Same issue..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Mobile uses a low res stream typically..as does SmartPSS unless you tell it to use the main stream

Flachzange

n3wb
Reaction score
Mobile uses a low res stream typically..as does SmartPSS unless you tell it to use the main stream
I already disabled the substreams to make sure only main stream is used

What codec are you using?
It already happens with the default config (see screenshot):

1649578835486.png

For testing purposes I now configured all three cams with 4k resolution and CBR with 8Mbit/s and they all run smoothly in SmartPSS (simultanously). Therefore, I would finally rule out any bandwidth, network or computing power related issues.

I also tried another computer with different hardware, but same issue in the live view of a cam. When I have a look at the Windows Task Manager I can see that the browser is still consuming the full network bandwith. So it seems, the stream is actually transmitted, but just not "played" properly in the browser.

Honestly, I hoped this was some kind of known issue, but it seems not to be,.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I never recommend h265 it drops the quality a lot on the current compression algorithm DH uses on its cams. H264h is a HUGE difference and what I recommend.
The only thing you gain from h265 is smaller files and it’s not worth the quality drop especially in fast motion and high contrast areas. I recommend and dial in all users to h264H which gives you a great image overall.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Switched to H.264 on all three cameras. That did the trick. Thanks guys!

However, that is actually a pitty as H.265 serves the purpose to reduce bandwith with 4k video. Is there a way to report this bug back to someone?
Most of us have found that real world, H265 results in very little savings. In my case it was literally a few minutes every day and the picture quality wasn't as good due to how H265 macroblocks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This will explain H264 versus H265 a little better.

H265 in theory provides more storage as it compresses differently, but part of that compression means it macro blocks big areas of the image that it thinks isn't moving.

In theory it is supposed to need 30% less storage than H264, but most of us have found it isn't that much. As I mentioned, mine was less than few minutes per day.

The left image is H264, so all the blocks are the same size corresponding to the resolution of the camera. H265 takes areas that it doesn't think has motion and makes them into bigger blocks and in doing so lessens the resolution yet increases the CPU demand to develop these larger blocks.

In theory H265 is supposed to need half the bitrate because of the macroblocking. But if there is a lot of motion in the image, then it becomes a pixelated mess. The only way to get around that is a higher bitrate. But if you need to run the same bitrate for H265 as you do H264, then the storage savings is zero. Storage is computed based on multiplying bitrate, FPS, and resolution.

1638584913822.png

In my testing I have one camera that sees a parked car in front of my house. H265 sees that the car isn't moving, so it macroblocks the whole car and surrounding area. Then the car owner walked up to the car and got in and the motion is missed because the macroblock being so large. Or if it catches it, because the bitrate is low, it is a pixelated mess during the critical capture point and by the time H265 adjusts to there is now motion, the ideal capture is missed.

The car is clear and defined in H264, but is blurry and soft edges in H265.

H265 is one of those theory things that sounds good, but reality use is much different.

As always, YMMV.

Flachzange

n3wb
Reaction score
That makes sense. Thanks for the details. The issue with H.265 and cameras is that you do not have the ability of multipass encoding as you would to it for example for a blu-ray movie where everything is predictable and can be optimized with each run.

NeTgHoSt

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm surprised there's not more talk going on about this issue online. Just bought the Dual lens 4K camera from Andy and I'm having the same issue with the mainstream, except I've been using h264 this whole time. The stream seems to freeze every once in awhile resulting in a loss of that portion of recording in blue iris. OP, did your issue ever reappear?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm surprised there's not more talk going on about this issue online. Just bought the Dual lens 4K camera from Andy and I'm having the same issue with the mainstream, except I've been using h264 this whole time. The stream seems to freeze every once in awhile resulting in a loss of that portion of recording in blue iris. OP, did your issue ever reappear?
That issue is being discussed about in the review thread for the 180 camera...and no need for multiple posts of the same question in different camera issue posts. Different cameras with different issues.

Here are the posts I made in that thread about the issue and potential causes:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Those freeze mainly because of the network issue and bandwidth limit on your computer. 4K need lots of resource than normal 4MP. Currently the New NVR with -EI with more bandwidth

NeTgHoSt

n3wb
Reaction score
Those freeze mainly because of the network issue and bandwidth limit on your computer. 4K need lots of resource than normal 4MP. Currently the New NVR with -EI with more bandwidth
Ok, there is something I can do to improve my bandwidth. Ill try that. Just haven't needed to yet. Is there a way to do a bandwidth test from my BI pc to my cameras?