IPVM Releases Phone Version of Calculator

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm surprised someone hasn't taken ipvm calculator and made an open source version. Everyone in the diy and home geek world would love it.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I checked it today, nice tool, barely a few seconds as I was naming the project and then it kicked me out. If it was a reasonable cost for an average end user, I would happily pay for it, but clearly the target audience is professional installers, so why the need to post in a forum like this if they have so much traffic coming in? Missed opportunity of expanding your client base.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Our Calculator usage has soared in the 3 weeks since we implemented this change, up 30%+. We don't know what exactly is driving this as we don't track signups specifically for the Calculator but we presume it's some combination of new signups and existing subscribers being prompted and then logging in to use the Calculator. Either way is good for us as it reinforces to paying users the value of our development.

I understand why this is not good for IPCamTalk users generally and that's why I recommended the JVSG offering as an alternative.

Finally, I will consider somewhat longer free usage times but, so far, this has worked well for us overall.
What you could do rather than having a time limit is have a free account sign in but limit it to 1 or 2 calculations per week with users allowed only 1 free acoount This would allow amatuers to get access but force commercial users isntalling large numbers of camers to subscribe.

Another alternative would be to do the same but restrict it to IPCAMTALK account users only. Thisa would have the same effect of restricting searches to 2 per week but restrict access further especially if the IPCAMTALk versionw as hosted or accessed from over here.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
@CCTVCam It would take a fair amount of work to build that in (it's not rocket science but it is time). What would we get from doing this? I understand that you and other IPCamTalk users would benefit but how would we benefit? I am supportive of a fair trade but it's not clear to me what we get from doing work to allow people not to pay us. I am genuinely curious about ideas that would benefit both sides.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That I don't know John. I don't know what services you offer and whether Fenderman would be able or willing to offer you anything in return for a free ipcamtalk calculator. It's beyond my knowledge or control.

The only other way I could think of doing a free one would be via adverts, so maybe a panel or banner somewhere that displays an ad in a web version, or maybe a short start up ad in a fully featured App version ie google earth version .

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would a smaller charge for the calculator not be an option?
If you're worried that a large number of current members would downgrade to just the calculator then that's an indication that the primary website isn't providing value.

Since you know it is in fact providing value, a smaller subscription for the calculator shouldn't be an issue.

Or, use it as a leader tool. Members get to use it ad free.... but non members must watch a 30sec ad before using it, and must watch another ad every so many minutes ie 5. But instead of a general ad make it an ad that displays everything your full membership offers. Information, reviews, comparisons etc....

I worked for as a cctv installer for 4 years and he had never heard of yall. Maybe if it wasn't so locked down and used as a recruitment tool your membership would increase..

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
I worked for as a cctv installer for 4 years and he had never heard of yall. Maybe if it wasn't so locked down and used as a recruitment tool your membership would increase..
For many years, the tool offered unlimited time free access. We only added in the timer 5 months ago. As such, the time out can't be the reason why you did not hear about it over the years. However, IPVM is not primarily designed for installers as we focus on new technology and business issues, less so on installation.

No business can be all things for all people. For IPVM, I still don't see the value of spending time and money so people can pay us less money or get our product or free.

That said, there are plenty of free offerings for designing cameras, I've mentioned JVSG earlier - Lens Calculator plus Axis has one AXIS Site Designer 2 and Hikvision has one Hik Design Tool there's also System Surveyor Floor Plan Design Software | Security Camera Floor Plan etc.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No business can be all things for all people. For IPVM, I still don't see the value of spending time and money so people can pay us less money or get our product or free.
I think it's a tradeoff.

Instead of getting 0$ extra revenue from selling 0 new memberships to home hobbyists at 200$/yr, with a new "IPVM LITE" offering, maybe you'd get 100 new memberships at 40$/yr.
The lite offering could be limited to 2-3 locations perhaps for a primary/secondary/cottage residence. Professional integrators that lookup multiple addresses per day could not use this lower tier.
Would that extra recurring revenue cover your dev expenses to make this a worthwhile investment? Possibly.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think it's a tradeoff.

Instead of getting 0$ extra revenue from selling 0 new memberships to home hobbyists at 200$/yr, with a new "IPVM LITE" offering, maybe you'd get 100 new memberships at 40$/yr.
The lite offering could be limited to 2-3 locations perhaps for a primary/secondary/cottage residence. Professional integrators that lookup multiple addresses per day could not use this lower tier.
Would that extra recurring revenue cover your dev expenses to make this a worthwhile investment? Possibly.
I'd pay 40 bucks for a lite version

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd pay 40 bucks for a lite version
I’d definitely pay 30-40 bucks/yr for a lite version to give me access for my house and 8-12 cameras or something like that. Maybe set it so you could only select residential addresses with no business name tied to the address for the lite version? I just don’t see anyone paying more to calculate camera positions than they do per year for their NVR application, for example Blue Iris that many of us use. As you mentioned there are free versions now though and it looks like you can even integrate Google maps with JVSG now possibly.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To Bad.(for me).I was just getting back to getting my Cams. IPVM Design/Calculator--Now a $199 fee. Well, a Big Pass on that tool.
A Limited version I might have gone for...

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty frustrating.
It's 199 for a year right

Spaldo

n3wb
Reaction score
Consideration needs to be given to home users / enthusiasts. For example, if I were doing a project for my own home or a family members, perhaps there could be an option for a fee per project. $200 is insane for a normal person & not a business...