IR Cannon w/Adjustable Focus

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CCTV-5-90-Adjustable-Focus-4500mW-Surveillance-IR-Illuminator-LED-Array-850nm-10-100M.jpg_640x64.jpg

Sample Video of the 4500mW IR Cannon going through adjustments manually.. the cannon is just a nickname, it could also be considered an IR Laser as this is basically what you'll find on those cameras.

Camera: 4MP Dahua w/6mm Optics (HFW4421D-AS)

Places to buy, these will get ~$60 on sale:
CCTV 5 90 Adjustable Focus 4500mW Surveillance IR Illuminator LED Array 850nm 10 100M-in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Surveillance Cameras Night Vision Fill Light 850nm Zoom IR LED Array 4500mW Light 15 100m Angle 5 80degree Manual Adjustment-in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

IMAG0640.jpg

Last edited:

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's pretty impressive @nayr, What power supply are you running or how are you powering this IR? Im thinking of picking up a few for my back yard.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying out this 12v splitter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M5U4OFA

so far so good, with camera @ night its pulling about 12W (1A) but the internal IR is disabled.. I tried the iCreatin and it struggles to put out 1A and feed was dropping out on my LPR cam..

*edit* after a week of use its doing great still, no packet loss, no interface errors, no dropouts.. very happy.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like the only reviewer on Ali wasn't happy with the spread but judging by what I see in your video it looks pretty decent for what I'd need it for. Thanks for sharing

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I find it works best when you back out the zoom and let it illuminate the entire image.. that reviewer probably had a wide angle 2.8mm lens outside, which is just horrible but I digress, and he could not hide the sharp edges.

compared to other illuminators I've used I like this one because it does not have a hotspot in the middle, the area its lighting is very evenly lit.. so when I back it out and light up the cameras entire FOV the person is just as well lit at the edge of the FOV as they are in the middle.. and there's no hotspot thats over exposing the center of the image because its all focused there.

I have another cannon @ full zoom reading plates ~180ft away @ 1/1000 shutter speed.. you can see it illuminating the tree on the right, its been doing great all summer inside a composite birdhouse w/passive cooling.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
heh, outside music.. Ive got a multi-zone amp driving speakers all over, I'm a music nut and prefer to have some playing when both working and relaxing... thats one of two on the back patio, gets used all the time in the summer months.. if I ever get a hottub then it'll be used all year long :D

ive got big yard and good neighbors, out back none of em can hardly hear it from there property even when im jamming it out..

speaking of jamming out, here IPCT.. my fav chune currently, enjoy:

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Hmm , well i didnt like the guys voice who was doing all the swearing but i did like the guy with the woolly hat and long hairs voice, he has a great voice, when he gets a bit older and learns that swearing actually isnt that cool he could go a long way

having said that, a long time ago on a forum long since gone but dedicated to main stream cinema films, members started a forum radio show and i was introduced to the ICP ... a very strange bunch but jolly good tunes :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oh they got many good songs w/out cursing, this one is more hiphop and well.. the vocabulary is unlimited or your not taken seriously, like Will Smith heh.

and idgaf about cursing heh, might be cultural but IMHO there's such thing as a bad word, just bad usage.. even my kid I dont really care, my 5 year old can make a mistake and proclaim 'shit' in frustration and I dont blink an eye, but if he calls someone a shithead then he's going to get corrective action.. same with fuck.. and even using curse words against people im not really against, I just want him to learn to you wont win an argument when you result to name calling.. All words have great power and should be used carefully, curse words are just words like any other.. You can verbally kick someone in the nuts without saying a single 'curse' word..

thats why i love ipct, I can say what I want.. how I want, without some censor bot coming in and changing my text.

America might have its problems, but there's no place I'd rather be.. than right here, right now.. though dont ask me that after the election.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr, what's the lens on that cam in the video? 6mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nayr, does that light cannon have a sensor to turn it on/off at dusk and dawn?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nayr, does that light cannon have a sensor to turn it on/off at dusk and dawn?
yes it does.. follow the red arrow and you'll find the focus adjustment knob, and then behind it is a green colored light sensor.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sample Video of the 4500mW IR Cannon going through adjustments manually..
You've really changed my opinion on these things Nayr. Before your reviews I had these things pegged as a gimmick rather than a serious illuminator.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Excuse me if I missed it, but did the Camera in this test have it's IR on as well? Or was it turned off.
Thanks.