IR Cannon w/Adjustable Focus

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by nayr, Sep 20, 2016.

Share This Page

1. nayr

nayr Known around here

CCTV-5-90-Adjustable-Focus-4500mW-Surveillance-IR-Illuminator-LED-Array-850nm-10-100M.jpg_640x64.jpg

Sample Video of the 4500mW IR Cannon going through adjustments manually.. the cannon is just a nickname, it could also be considered an IR Laser as this is basically what you'll find on those cameras.

Camera: 4MP Dahua w/6mm Optics (HFW4421D-AS)

Places to buy, these will get ~$60 on sale:
    CCTV 5 90 Adjustable Focus 4500mW Surveillance IR Illuminator LED Array 850nm 10 100M-in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    Surveillance Cameras Night Vision Fill Light 850nm Zoom IR LED Array 4500mW Light 15 100m Angle 5 80degree Manual Adjustment-in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

IMAG0640.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. Travieso

Travieso Getting the hang of it

That's pretty impressive @nayr, What power supply are you running or how are you powering this IR? Im thinking of picking up a few for my back yard.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2016
  3. nayr

nayr Known around here

I am trying out this 12v splitter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M5U4OFA

so far so good, with camera @ night its pulling about 12W (1A) but the internal IR is disabled.. I tried the iCreatin and it struggles to put out 1A and feed was dropping out on my LPR cam..

*edit* after a week of use its doing great still, no packet loss, no interface errors, no dropouts.. very happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
    Arjun likes this.
  4. PSPCommOp

PSPCommOp Getting the hang of it

Looks like the only reviewer on Ali wasn't happy with the spread but judging by what I see in your video it looks pretty decent for what I'd need it for. Thanks for sharing

5. nayr

nayr Known around here

I find it works best when you back out the zoom and let it illuminate the entire image.. that reviewer probably had a wide angle 2.8mm lens outside, which is just horrible but I digress, and he could not hide the sharp edges.

compared to other illuminators I've used I like this one because it does not have a hotspot in the middle, the area its lighting is very evenly lit.. so when I back it out and light up the cameras entire FOV the person is just as well lit at the edge of the FOV as they are in the middle.. and there's no hotspot thats over exposing the center of the image because its all focused there.

I have another cannon @ full zoom reading plates ~180ft away @ 1/1000 shutter speed.. you can see it illuminating the tree on the right, its been doing great all summer inside a composite birdhouse w/passive cooling.

6. hiky

hiky Getting the hang of it

Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
    nayr, what is the big white tub thing in your picture at the top ?? outside speaker ??

7. nayr

nayr Known around here

yep, thats a Polk Atrium outdoor speaker..

8. hiky

you like music outside ?? perhaps big game sounds for evening scarring or just .... Oi , get orf my land

9. nayr

nayr Known around here

heh, outside music.. Ive got a multi-zone amp driving speakers all over, I'm a music nut and prefer to have some playing when both working and relaxing... thats one of two on the back patio, gets used all the time in the summer months.. if I ever get a hottub then it'll be used all year long :D

ive got big yard and good neighbors, out back none of em can hardly hear it from there property even when im jamming it out..

speaking of jamming out, here IPCT.. my fav chune currently, enjoy:

zebrock likes this.
  10. hiky

here in the Uk, if we fart most of the neighbor hood complains about someone being noisy, plenty downsides to the US but the space you guys have is something i would very much like, for that i am very jealous

dicklaw88 likes this.
  11. hiky

Hmm , well i didnt like the guys voice who was doing all the swearing but i did like the guy with the woolly hat and long hairs voice, he has a great voice, when he gets a bit older and learns that swearing actually isnt that cool he could go a long way

having said that, a long time ago on a forum long since gone but dedicated to main stream cinema films, members started a forum radio show and i was introduced to the ICP ... a very strange bunch but jolly good tunes :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  12. nayr

nayr Known around here

oh they got many good songs w/out cursing, this one is more hiphop and well.. the vocabulary is unlimited or your not taken seriously, like Will Smith heh.

and idgaf about cursing heh, might be cultural but IMHO there's such thing as a bad word, just bad usage.. even my kid I dont really care, my 5 year old can make a mistake and proclaim 'shit' in frustration and I dont blink an eye, but if he calls someone a shithead then he's going to get corrective action.. same with fuck.. and even using curse words against people im not really against, I just want him to learn to you wont win an argument when you result to name calling.. All words have great power and should be used carefully, curse words are just words like any other.. You can verbally kick someone in the nuts without saying a single 'curse' word..

thats why i love ipct, I can say what I want.. how I want, without some censor bot coming in and changing my text.

America might have its problems, but there's no place I'd rather be.. than right here, right now.. though dont ask me that after the election.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  13. hiky

i agree with you nayr, totally

14. PSPCommOp

@nayr, what's the lens on that cam in the video? 6mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2016
  15. nayr

nayr Known around here

yes, it says so in first post :p

16. PSPCommOp

Haha sorry my bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. SpinnerRow

SpinnerRow Young grasshopper

nayr, does that light cannon have a sensor to turn it on/off at dusk and dawn?

18. nayr

nayr Known around here

yes it does.. follow the red arrow and you'll find the focus adjustment knob, and then behind it is a green colored light sensor.

[​IMG]

19. SyconsciousAu

SyconsciousAu Pulling my weight

You've really changed my opinion on these things Nayr. Before your reviews I had these things pegged as a gimmick rather than a serious illuminator.

nayr likes this.
  20. looney2ns

looney2ns Getting comfortable

Excuse me if I missed it, but did the Camera in this test have it's IR on as well? Or was it turned off.
    Thanks.

21. nayr

nayr Known around here

onboard IR is off

22. cam235

cam235 Getting the hang of it

I got a "5W OSRAM Cree Infrared iR 850nm LED Flashlight" http://www.ebay.com/itm/252376848531 which runs on 1 AA battery, but I imagine could be modified to run on external power. You can find similar 850nm focusable flashlights on Amazon. Based on the results shown here, I've also got one of these adjustable "IR CANNON" lights on order. I will be curious to compare how they perform. I have no great faith in the accuracy of "xx watts of power" claims on Ebay but the price was low enough to take a chance.

23. nayr

nayr Known around here

thats a cool flashlight, I might pick me up one for testing purposes.. and yeah dont trust the ratings, even the cannon is kinda bullshit.. if it has 3x 4.5W LED's then it should be ~13.5W load, but its really 10W.. so they are under-driven if anything so I suppose thats not bad.

There is alot of advantages to external IR that might not be obvious:
    - Weather is less of an impact at night; fog, rain and snow are not reflecting most of the light back into the camera.. think of it like running w/hi-beams on through fog/rain when its built in.. If you want defogging then this will work better than some software routine every time.
    - Bugs are not an issue and if a spider does run a web across the FOV all you can see is the spider and the web remains invisible.
    - Shadows on the face bring out more detail, even if washed out its still more detail.. adds depth to the image.
    - You can tune out reflectors on cars from flaring up.
    - Dust and other little sprites that the ScyFy channel thinks are ghosts are practically eliminated.
    - You can put up very powerful lighting without pissing off neighbors or blinding passing vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  24. Kawboy12R

Kawboy12R Getting comfortable

Avoid using internal IR at all costs if possible. The only cameras running internal IR at home are the Critter Cam and the PTZ. Even the Critter Cam has backup external IR though. It's for lighting up the trees in the distance to even things out.

25. cam235

single-AA IR flashlight at 850 nm

Here's a short clip showing the so-called 5W Vastfire 850nm single-AA flashlight, at the most narrow beam focus setting. I measured a current draw of 1.2 A at 1.5 V so it really uses less than 2 watts of power. The active part is all in the head, would be easy to solder some wires onto it instead, if you had a 1.5V power supply. The image is grainy because my Dahua IPC-HF5421E is set to 1/250 shutter, to reduce motion blur. The road is 25 feet wide so the cars are about that far from me; the house beyond is maybe 60 feet from where I'm standing.

Most of the light in the image is coming from one Univivi U06R illuminator off to the right. It draws 0.44 A at 12V which is 5.3 watts. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3O5ERK/

--
    By the way, this thing http://www.ebay.com/itm/171091792532 (judging only from the power draw: 12 W) may be similar in performance to the "IR CANNON" at about the same price (except a fixed narrow 10 degree beam, not adjustable zoom) and it comes with an IP66 housing and adjustable-angle mount. I notice that all of these devices including the little flashlight sell near $5 per watt so that gives you a reference point. I mean (current x voltage) = watts of DC power draw, not the wildly inaccurate "xx watts" advertised.
    UPDATE 10/18/2016: I got the above ebay illuminator but it was not as pictured; actually it has 66 pieces of 15 degree LEDs. It draws about 0.85 A at 12 V so uses 10 watts. The performance is so-so and I don't think it's a good value compared with alternatives. For the same price the "IR CANNON" looks a lot more useful.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
    GuiBou likes this.
  26. drew91101

drew91101 Getting the hang of it

Maybe I missed it in the thread...what are you using to mount it? Both of the aliexpress links only include the IR cannon, no mount or power supply.

27. nayr

nayr Known around here

just a very cheap cctv mount, at least one ali vendor sells it with one..

28. cam235

> if it has 3x 4.5W LED's then it should be ~13.5W load, but its really 10W.

Looks to me like they are being brave and actually specifying that the optical power output totals 4500 mW (so each of the three lenses delivers 1500 mW) while also listing electrical power input at 10 W. From your first aliexpress link:
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]

Power
    10W

IR output
    4500mW
    [/TABLE]

I think it's brave of them because the industry standard is to mention only power input, and usually lie about it too. If you take those numbers at face value it means their IR LEDs are > 45% efficient. That is possible; the Osram Oslon Black SFH 4715A claims 48%

Anyway, bottom line from your video it clearly puts out a good amount of light. Looking forward to trying one out, when the slow boat from China comes in.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
  29. cam235

Update: Well I did have to be clever and try a different model than nayr recommended. I got this http://www.ebay.com/itm/111722615701 label says L50RK and claims "3.6 W power, 3000 mW IR output". It draws 0.36 A at 12.0 V = 4.3 watts so the first part is nearly right, but the IR output spec cannot be true as current technology does not permit a ~70% efficient LED. This model has only one lens, and inside it looks like just one chip. It does focus down to a pretty tight spot. Not a high power draw so the aluminum case gets only a little warm: after 1 hour in still air ambient 20 C, the case reaches 32 C. There is a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the case, so you can mount with any standard camera hardware.

IR-light1.jpg IR-lt2a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
    nayr likes this.
  30. cam235

Re: IR Cannon compared with 6-LED flood

Sample photos with Dahua 4MP box cam at 1/100 shutter, Gain=50, 3D NR Off. IR Lights are spot: L50RK as mentioned above from ebay, and wide: Univivi U06R from Amazon. There is a dim streetlight overhead. Cars are about 50 feet away from my two IR lights. Spot is at maybe 80% focused here; at 100% the beam gets about half this size. Note the light I'm calling wide or flood is actually still pretty directional.
    Spot Light: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111722615701
    Wide Light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3O5ERK

None but streetlight: Wide only: Spot only: Spot + Wide:
    none.jpg wide-only.jpg spot-only.jpg spot+wide.jpg

I could make the image look a light brighter with longer shutter and higher gain, but then it's not really useful due to noise and motion blur.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
    nayr likes this.