IR glare between two cameras

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to add a camera to an outbuilding and point it across the end and along the back of my house. There is already a camera on the corner of the house covering the shop and shed. I tried temporarily mounting the proposed new camera where I want it and I am getting glare from each camera to the other in night mode. I tried changing the angle of the new camera as well as turning the IR level all the way down. Still getting glare. Pics and a sketch attached. The solid lines indicate the existing camera coverage and the dotted lines indicate the proposed new camera. The distance between is 52'. Height is about even. I would prefer not to adjust the view of the existing camera because the shed doors are on the right end. Any suggestions?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My thoughts would be turn off IR on the camera and add an IR illuminator somewhere that would give you more options of locating that than changing camera location or add enough light to force a camera in color.

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
My thoughts would be turn off IR on the camera and add an IR illuminator somewhere that would give you more options of locating that than changing camera location or add enough light to force a camera in color.
I tried turning the new one all the way down and that did not help. Switching it to color takes it out of IR mode so an illuminator will not work. That was my first plan when I started. I figured if I could put an illuminator around the corner of the shed I could shield it from shining on the existing camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can keep it B/W and turn off the IR completely - well I guess that depends on the camera...I guess if you cannot manually turn the IR off, then some black tape is in order!

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a 5mp Amcrest. Options are Day, Night, Auto. If set to Night and brightness is turned all the way down it still outputs enough IR to cause glare. If set to Day to turn off IR it no longer "sees" IR so the illuminator would not work. I thought about covering the emitter but I do not know whether that will cause internal reflection. May try this to see when I get another camera ordered.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amcrest is a Dahua rebrand - you don't have a screen that shows Illuminator or IR or some other name? Select OFF and the IR is turned off.

The tape shouldn't cause a reflection unless you have tape overlapping the lens.

1607489979567.png

Last edited:

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
No, these do not have those settings. I have WB Mode, BLC Mode, Day & Night Mode. This is on both the 5 MB and the 4k cameras.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Which cams? I have one of the Amcrest 5MP IP5M-T1179EW and it does have a selection for the IR light (Manual/Auto/Off).

Maybe check to see if there is updated firmware? Mine shows V2.800.00AC000.0.R, Build Date: 2019-11-13.

Where are you setting the "brightness" for the IR?

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
Same camera. I have not found any updated firmware. Screenshot of my menu and settings attached. Again, I can turn the IR off by switching to "color" but it does not respond to an external illuminator if I do.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine looks different. I tried to show the options but when I leave the window the pull-down menu for mode closes so I left it set to Off.

Capture1.PNG

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
Which cams? I have one of the Amcrest 5MP IP5M-T1179EW and it does have a selection for the IR light (Manual/Auto/Off).

Maybe check to see if there is updated firmware? Mine shows V2.800.00AC000.0.R, Build Date: 2019-11-13.

Where are you setting the "brightness" for the IR?
The "V" is version. Mine is the same version and build date. I don't know why the screenshots are different.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Odd. Dahua has had that option there for a long time. Even some older 2MP Amcrest cams with firmware from 2016 (2.520.0000.0.R, build : 2016-08-15) have a similar setting (bottom of the column):

Capture2.PNG

shrug Contact support and see what they say.

In any case, I really don't think your image looks too bad. When I read your title I was expecting to see something with the image all foggy and washed out as typical for IR glare. Yeah, you have the 'glare' from the light pointing at the cam but it's not hurting your overall image much. You might get a little more depth behind without it but that's not your focus of interest. I'd have to see it both ways with the opposite view too and somebody in the frame to judge.

Last edited:

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
The light in that shot is an outside light next to the side entry door. The new camera is not in place in this shot. The IR light from one camera to the other is not a lot worse than that though. I will try working with orientation and light levels. I may also try moving one of the 4k cameras to one of these positions to see if the light pattern may be any different. Thanks for the help.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could you highlight the glare than concerns you. I have all of my cameras mounted in pairs with interlocking fields of view. They all see the ir illuminator of their mate, but it has never caused an issue for me.

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
Could you highlight the glare than concerns you. I have all of my cameras mounted in pairs with interlocking fields of view. They all see the ir illuminator of their mate, but it has never caused an issue for me.
The camera that I want to install on the corner of the shed has been mounted in another location. It was temporarily fixed to a stepladder to check that location. I will order another camera in the next week or so and I will post pictures then. Thanks.

Reaction score
This is a 5mp Amcrest. Options are Day, Night, Auto. If set to Night and brightness is turned all the way down it still outputs enough IR to cause glare. If set to Day to turn off IR it no longer "sees" IR so the illuminator would not work. I thought about covering the emitter but I do not know whether that will cause internal reflection. May try this to see when I get another camera ordered.
I have that same camera and flashed Dahua firmware on it. I can choose "MANUAL" and set the IR brightness or power from 0 to 100.

1607576187678.png

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine has the option to set brightness to zero but zero is not absolute blackout. The other camera still sees IR light from that camera. Which model firmware did you use?

Reaction score
Mine has the option to set brightness to zero but zero is not absolute blackout. The other camera still sees IR light from that camera. Which model firmware did you use?
See this thread about putting Dahua firmware on that camera. I have two of them running... Good camera for the price--

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
See this thread about putting Dahua firmware on that camera. I have two of them running... Good camera for the price--

Thanks.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same camera. I have not found any updated firmware. Screenshot of my menu and settings attached. Again, I can turn the IR off by switching to "color" but it does not respond to an external illuminator if I do.
Are you accessing the cameras setting through a DVR or directly through the cameras IP address and it's own config screen. To me it looks like you're in the DVR's cam settings - which is limited. You need to directly access the camera via it's IP address to get the full options.