IR Illumination & POE

Skiny

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to set up my first camera system for my home and am wondering about IR illumination for the night.

I'd like the cameras to run solely from Ethernet, as I'm about to wire my house with CAT6. I assume POE isn't going to be sufficient to power cameras with built in IR LEDs? If this is the case, what's the best solution? A separate IR floodlight?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...poe is more than sufficient for IR leds.....for best night time results add actual light...much better than IR.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...poe is more than sufficient for IR leds.....for best night time results add actual light...much better than IR.
Run two lines and then get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017J8WJ5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can use Cat6 connected to a PoE source to then power an IR Illuminator that takes 12v. I've done it and it works great.

As mentioned above actual light is better but if not practical, additional IR can help.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Skiny

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast replies.

This will be at the front of a terraced cottage, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to really have actual light without it standing out a lot.

That device looks great. Pretty good idea on the two lines. Can you recommend any specific IR illuminator?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Light is good...I never understand folks that leave their homes pitch black all night...