IR Illumination - PoE

hikwpg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking for a PoE illimunator.
I have a Dahua 4x 2MP ptz and it is terrible in low light/night settings.

I am looking for a recommendation, but I want an honest recommendation based on product you actually own! I haven't found many videos of cameras with ext illumination, or any with Dahua cams.

I am hoping for a break out style connector, single cable solution.

FoV is about 80feet wide at a distance of approx 60-70 feet.

I have plenty of PoE power available but would like a smaller frame, no bigger than 7x7".

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I have several of the IPCT IR Illuminators at my house and haven't had any issues. They perform well and can be powered over POE with these https://amzn.to/2NfoToj

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hikwpg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have several of the IPCT IR Illuminators at my house and haven't had any issues. They perform well and can be powered over POE with these https://amzn.to/2NfoToj
Thanks!

Was hoping for a straight cable pass-through. I don’t want any additional modules or hidden failure points. I would prefer a 48v PoE Illuminator that has a splitter or break out cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone recently reviewed some of the IR illuminators that are on the market now? I have a few different spots I could use a few but different applications. Some long range and some short.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to read the fine print with this one. It's not a splitter, but instead uses the unused 4 mode A wires to power the light, while passing the four mode A wires through to the IP device. It needs both a mode A switch/injector and a mode B injector.
100% correct but also a great way to not have to run another wire!

But back to the IR Question. Anyone know of any recent reviews of spots and floods? I'm looking for both.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a couple of the round tendelux 4-led illuminators and have replaced them with the hotspot illuminators because they are significantly brighter for the same wattage. As I continue converting to external IR I'll try the tendelux units where I might not need as much brightness. I agree they have much more even coverage. So far, all of them are better than the internal IR with respect to spiders and illumination.

xGROMx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am also looking to do the same thing, there has to be an easier solution. I want to add a 7w IR flood next to my cameras without running a new network line to each location to split the power out of. There has to be a 48v pass though spliter, the hunt continues.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a couple of the round tendelux 4-led illuminators and have replaced them with the hotspot illuminators because they are significantly brighter for the same wattage. As I continue converting to external IR I'll try the tendelux units where I might not need as much brightness. I agree they have much more even coverage. So far, all of them are better than the internal IR with respect to spiders and illumination.
What are the hotspot illumintors you refer to?

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source for something similar to: THIS OLDER POST Doesn't look like this one is still available. I'd like something exactly like this.

I'm going to give THIS ONE a shot but would like a bit more power.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those Tendelux that @looney2ns linked looked like they are diffused, hence probably why you are noticing the intensity seems lower is because the light is probably diffused to be more equal across the covered area (I dont know for sure, as I dont have one). If you think of a flashlight with wide or narrow beam option, the light emitter intensity does not actually change (obviously), but the hotspot created on narrow beam definitely looks significantly brighter.

I would think illuminators with a "hot spot" would cause problems with surrounding area being under-exposed and "too dark" and the area where its "hot spot" being washed out. That's what I see with the two illuminators I bought, so have to try these Tendelux (or get diffuser lens for the ones I own). Still better than onboard IR, where I get lots of bright spider bodies, and snow, rain or significant dust make a clear picture impossible.

Another way might be to have many, lower intensity bulbs. I'm not allowed to leave Christmas lights up year round, but I would say there was a marked improvement in image quality on my front yard with several hundred tiny low-wattage (white only) Christmas lights on during the 45 days they were up. No "hot spots" either with that approach, but for me I'd have to climb the ladder and change the lights 9 times (and find 9 holidays evenly spread on the calendar), just to comply with HOA rules to have great lighting year-round!

Reaction score
@looney2ns you said you have both, can you tell from the image if those give off circular and rectangular light as one might expect given their shape? Or is it too diffused to really tell for sure?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns you said you have both, can you tell from the image if those give off circular and rectangular light as one might expect given their shape? Or is it too diffused to really tell for sure?
I don't really notice a difference between the two. Sorry, can't say for sure.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great thread, very helpful as always. I too am looking for recommendations for IR illumination. I do not necessarily need it to be PoE, I have access to 110v and 12v, so connecting it in high or low voltage electricity is ok, and preferred.

Several of my cameras are outdoors, in open areas of land.

Please recommend.