IR illumination quality after torchlight

spikeycam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, newbie here.

First question is about IR illumination by cameras.

My set up:

I have a basic Hikvision system with three cameras and NVR to monitor activity outside the house.
Hikvision IP Cameras: model DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS with firmware V5.5.0 build 170725 (one has V5.4.5 build 170124).
These are hardwired with CAT6 cable back to my NVR in the house.
Hikvision NVR: model DS-7608NI-K2/8P with firmware V3.4.107 build 190927. Ports provide PoE.

IR illumination is from cameras.
Day and night operation all worked fine until someone shone a torch at one of the cameras.
Since then the output from that camera has been fine in daylight, but at night time when IR lamp is on, the image almost seems out of focus or at least very grainy. But image light levels are good. If I illuminate the area with soft visible light, the illuminated areas are sharp and clear. Camera has been turned on and off several times with no improvement.

Question 1: Has sensitivity been damaged by the torch light?
Question 2: Has camera gone in to some raised noise floor self protection mode?
Question 3: If I do a hard reset (button inside camera) will that reset it?
Question 4: Any options to play around with on the NVR (NVR functions look basic to be honest)
Question 5: Before I had the NVR, I controlled the cameras directly using PoE blocks and my laptop. Logged in to each camera with IExplorer. This option seems to have vastly more functions available than the limited set from my NVR. For example, nowhere on the NVR can I find how to turn IR on or off on the cameras.

Thanks for any help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Before I had the NVR, I controlled the cameras directly using PoE blocks and my laptop. Logged in to each camera with IExplorer. This option seems to have vastly more functions available than the limited set from my NVR. For example, nowhere on the NVR can I find how to turn IR on or off on the cameras.
If you activate 'Virtual Host' on the NVR, then under 'System Settings | Camera Management' there is a NATted access to the camera web GUI via the column of links at the right side.
You should find the tickbox for Virtual Host under Network | Advanced Settings

Day and night operation all worked fine until someone shone a torch at one of the cameras.
I don't think this would affect the camera - with the only exception being that it might activate the IR cut filter if bright enough and long enough.
But the IR cut filter would (assuming you have Day/Night set to Automatic) normally operate itself when the camera changes between Day and Night mode each day.
If the IR cut filter was stuck on - the camera IR illuminator would have no effect on the scene, and the scene would only be lit by other ambient light, and might give the symptoms you've described at night.

Suggestion :
At night, access the camera web GUI, disable and enable the IR and see if that has the expected affect on the scene illumination.
If there is very little effect, maybe the IR cut filter is stuck on.

spikeycam

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastair,
Many thanks for detailed reply.
I have searched the NVR menus but cannot find a 'Virtual Host' option. Best I can see is under Network, there is a NAT option which provides a table of Port Types and UPnP status messages. I have to tick the Enable UPnP box to make these editable. I am unfamiliar with this so will not proceed without advice.
Failing that, I will bypass the NVR and try logging in direct to camera with my external PoE block to see if I can spot anything obvious.
Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to tick the Enable UPnP box to make these editable.
Don't do that!
If UPnP is also enabled on your router, it will allow the entire internet in to the NVR.
UPnP should be disabled on the router, if not, any device on the LAN with UPnP enabled can enable port forwarding inbound.

I have searched the NVR menus but cannot find a 'Virtual Host' option.
I neglected to mention that this is via the NVR web GUI - is that what you are using?

Here is where the Virtual Host tickbox is located :
1661847281766.png

And shown here is the column of links to the cameras web GUI, headed 'Join' in this firmware, 'Connect' in older firmware..
Ignore my camera IP addresses - they are LAN-connected as opposed to PoE-port connected.

1661847386394.png

spikeycam

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastair. Sorry for late reply.
Normally I use the NVR, but to diagnose the problem I am using Internet Explorer to connect directly to my camera via a PoE block. I just type in the camera web address, then enter username and password at the Hikvsion prompt.
It appears I do not have the same menu structure compared to your images. I have included two images below. Do I need to upgrade firwware?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My images were from the NVR, to activate the Virtual Host facility that can be used to access the cameras via the NVR.

spikeycam

n3wb
Reaction score
I see, but the interface layout in your last photos resemble very closely the page I see when I connect directly to my cameras via the POE block. I see a very different interface when I connect to my cameras through my Hikvision NVR, as below. Again, no evidence of a Virtual Host option and no 'join' capability. Nothing of relevance when slider goes to right at bottom. Am I running the right software on my NVR?
Thanks again.
Page from NVR interface1.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's the VGA/HDMI interface in your screenshot.
My screenshots were the NVR web GUI, that's how the Virtual Host facility must be accessed.

spikeycam

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply. Finally got a chance to do this. I connected NVR direct to ethernet port on laptop, with correct IP address. I can now see the screen you have. I have used Virtual Host to directly get in to camera settings.
Disabling IR light at night results in virtually black image, as expected. So hopefully the IR cut filter is OK.