IR Illumination Question

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just received a new illuminator, Univivi U06R. It's an 850nm wavelength model, but my camera doesn't "see" it (everything completely black with the camera's internal IR turned off). I'm using it with a Q-See QTN8019B 1080p HD Varifocal IP Indoor/Outdoor Bullet Camera, which also has built in 850nm illuminators according to the specs.

I've checked it with my other cameras, also q-see brands, and they all pick up the infrared with good illumination. Anyone have an idea what the problem is? Very strange to me....

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed cameras recently, and the IR's of my old cameras do not illuminate on my new cameras. Not a big deal, but it indicates that maybe the new cameras are using a different IR wavelength? Is that possible?

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey, just a thought.....

Strap battery packs on some IR illuminators, then strap those on some cats and let them roam around. That would be hilarious. lol

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think you're right. Something must be different about the illuminator.

Odd thing is, I checked the specs on the camera again and it's listed as 850nm, just like the Univivi illuminator that I'm trying to use with it.

What other wavelengths are available that would be compatible with these type ip cameras? I've seen the 940nm, but never tried one...

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just received a new illuminator, Univivi U06R. It's an 850nm wavelength model, but my camera doesn't "see" it (everything completely black with the camera's internal IR turned off). I'm using it with a Q-See QTN8019B 1080p HD Varifocal IP Indoor/Outdoor Bullet Camera, which also has built in 850nm illuminators according to the specs.

I've checked it with my other cameras, also q-see brands, and they all pick up the infrared with good illumination. Anyone have an idea what the problem is? Very strange to me....
When you say "with the cameras internal IR turned off"... Have you tried with the cameras internal IR turned on? Some cameras have an internal IR filter that slides over the lens - so without this turned on, the camera will not be able to see IR (or, something like that).

Try the illuminator again with the cameras IR turned on.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does your Q-See QTN8019B 1080p HD Varifocal IP Indoor/Outdoor Bullet Camera work normally at night with it's own IR iluminator?
Does is switch between Day / Night mode and give normal Colour / B&W video?
If not - perhaps it's IR filter is stuck on.
Does the camera have the facility to select Day mode / Night mode and does this change the type of image you are seeing?

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does your Q-See QTN8019B 1080p HD Varifocal IP Indoor/Outdoor Bullet Camera work normally at night with it's own IR iluminator? Yes, working normally
Does is switch between Day / Night mode and give normal Colour / B&W video? Switch is also working correctly
If not - perhaps it's IR filter is stuck on.
Does the camera have the facility to select Day mode / Night mode and does this change the type of image you are seeing? I did access the camera itself to confirm this, all OK

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
What happens to the video image when you shine the illuminator directly into the camera? Can you see the illuminator itself, and simultaneously, the illuminator LEDs are black? Or is there a glow.

At 850nm, the LEDs should have a faint red glow to the unaided eye. Do you see a glow? While you state the illuminaotr is 850nm, maybe the manufacturer used 940 nm LEDs?

Something isn't adding up....

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The IR on the camera itself does have a red glow to the naked eye, but it is more faint the my other cameras. The specs do list it at 850nm, but maybe it is 940...

Will try again this evening and shine the new illuminator directly into the camera to see what I get. So far I've only tried it in the camera's field of view.

Dragon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll clearly see a red glow with your naked eye with any 850nm illuminator turned on. If you don't see that, it's not working and you should return it. The 940nm illuminators are much dimmer to the naked eye but supposedly you can still see them as faintly blue or purple. I don't own a 940 so can't verify how visible they are when lit. 940s take more power to produce the same amount of light on the camera.

Most IR lights have a photosensor so they don't turn on during the day. Thus you'll need to look at them in the dark to verify if they're working, or find the photosensor and cover it to trick it into thinking it's dark. Photosensor is usually a circle under 1/4" diameter colored blue or black, usually with thin wires embedded in it.