IR light question

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Q see cameras can, or at least could, see the light cast out by each other when new (tend to believe that is still true). And naturally Dahua cameras can see the light cast out by each other.

Both based on what I read have 850nm lights, can see the glow looking at em.

So I'm at a loss as why the Q see cameras can not see the light cast out by Dahua cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They should be able to see it as IR light is IR light.

Only reason they wouldn't would be if they are full color cameras with no IR filter or the IR filter on the QSee cameras are stuck.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, they should in that case. Can you check the QSee against one another again?

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They should be able to see it as IR light is IR light.

Only reason they wouldn't would be if they are full color cameras with no IR filter or the IR filter on the QSee cameras are stuck.
I bought the dvr before I knew jack about cameras/IR filters etc, it was dirt cheap heck dang near free new in the box and reason I bought it.

Shortly after installing it I read more about em and then added IR filters to them, with the filters in place better color during the day and they'd still see in the dark just as before only not quite as brightly lit as it is without them. Hardly notable difference with or without those filters in the dark, it was worth the slight loss for the color correction they needed. Red was now red the grass was now green instead of grayish purple etc!

That and only 6 of the 8 did I install those filters, so any effect wouldn't show up in the 2 that have remained "stock".

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, they should in that case. Can you check the QSee against one another again?
Yeah I could just not a real simple task. Was hoping there was something simple I was missing that would explain it. I thought sure they'd see the area lit up by the new cameras.
Guess I have to pull one down and walk around with it in the dark to verify they do see the light produced by another of their kind again.
I know when I had a tenvis PTZ in the back yard the Q see's could see the light cast from it, that was 3-4 years ago at this point though. Q see could see tenvis tenvis could see q see.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, but QSee is watered down Dahua and I doubt they use 940nm.

But the camera would still see 940nm, just the range is greatly reduced.

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is what I put on them when I figured out they didn't have filters stock and it might help improve imaging, they did.

20211224_212018.jpg

Two Dahua's pretty much flood the area that four of the Q see's point to but they do not see the light from the Dahua's at all, not even a little bit. 1 of those 4 does not have a filter on it, filter no filter see no difference.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What also does not make sense that your Qsee cam has IR lights and w/o an IR cut filter? This is a band stop filter above 650nm, so you would not see crap in the 850nm range. That is if your camera sensor can even see in the IR band also.

For normal IR capable cameras, during the daytime, the filter is on (switched in) in order to filter out Infrared Light, that way, color images are not distorted by IR Light. During the nighttime, the IR cut filter is automatically switched off to allow infrared light to enter the camera. The camera switches to IR Mode (Black and White) which is more sensitive to Infrared light. So placing the IR cut filter on your camera for night viewing is backasswards. There should not be an IR cut filter to view IR at night, because the filter "Cuts Out" the IR band.

Last edited:

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@xplorer, look at your filter package again. To me it looks like 650nm filter on package and Not 850nm.

The Part # also verifies this 650nm cut filter.

What also does not make sense that your Qsee cam has IR lights and w/o an IR cut filter? This is a band stop filter above 650nm, so you would not see crap in the 850nm range. That is if your camera sensor can even see in the IR band also.

For normal IR capable cameras, during the daytime, the filter is on (switched in) in order to filter out Infrared Light, that way, color images are not distorted by IR Light. During the nighttime, the IR cut filter is automatically switched off to allow infrared light to enter the camera. The camera switches to IR Mode (Black and White) which is more sensitive to Infrared light. So placing the IR cut filter on your camera for night viewing is backasswards. There should not be an IR cut filter to view IR at night, because the filter "Cuts Out" the IR band.
The cameras do not have motorized IR cut filters and yes they do have IR lights. You can see two rings of them surrounding the lens, they turn on when the sun goes down and back off following sunrise.

I don't recall why I choose those filters, might have been the nm value might have been nothing more than best guess at the time.

The cameras had a pretty good picture for what they where but the color was off depending on the angle of the sun during the day. View early morning into the sun the leaves and grass would be green, late day sun now behind the cameras the same would be a purtryplish gray instead of green, my red truck would be maroon/purple. People's coats/shirts etc color would be wrong.

So I thought i'd try some filters and those are the first. got lucky whatever they where enough to correct the color by day and not drastically cut the illumination provided by the cameras lights at night. If not I would have spend another buck and ordered something different try again. I had no idea what effect putting filters on in front of the lens would have. First test after it got dark I really thought the image would be dark, just black.

I put that same filter on Tenvis PTZ camera, had the same effect. Correct the day time color and only slightly reduced the illumination provided by its ir lights at night.

Last edited:

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought an IR light and the q see cameras do "see" the light from it.

One of the cameras that does have the filter I installed on it detects the light the same as one that I did not add the filter.

Could see the difference toggling ir light on/off/on/off in the dahua camera's live view but nothing in the q see camera live view.

The dahua camera I had set up had the north end of the lot lit up. The ground the vehicles the front wall of the white building all lit up brightly. The q see camera is right on top of that area twice as close to the area, it should have benefited from all that extra light provided by the other camera but no change at all not a trace.

I don't get it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The q see camera is right on top of that area twice as close to the area, it should have benefited from all that extra light provided by the other camera but no change at all not a trace.
Dumb question but the camera isn't operating in colour mode? (ie IR cut is on)

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dumb question but the camera isn't operating in colour mode? (ie IR cut is on)
I'd have to get the model number off one but I'm sure they do not have motorized IR cut filters in them. I do have one does, it was a replacement and it is larger then the other 7. These cameras are not very big at all, small soup can or less.

How they'd adjust for IR light on or off I have no idea, I've always worked under the assumption they do nothing other than turn the IR lights on when it gets dark then off when the sun comes up.