IR reflection - foggy at night.

benali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got a new DS-2CD2035-I mounted on the side of a plastic fascia. It goes very foggy when the IR comes on at dusk, I guess this is the IR reflection problem. Just wondering if anyone can advise what distance it needs to be away from adjacent surfaces to get rid of the problem?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Just redirect the camera out a little farther. If you have the camera mounted flush to the side of the house and are trying to point directly down that side of the house you are prob pointed to close to the house. Simply redirect a little farther out. You shouldn't have to remount the camera or add any spacing/mounting box.

Also can you post a picture of exactly what you are seeing/talking about? While this is a bullet and shouldn't be suffering from IR bleed like domes can if the dome isn't set properly you never know. Posting a picture will very quickly help experienced users make a suggestion vs. a novice trying to describe a problem (I mean no disrespect by this).

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing it's more a lack of IR than IR reflection...If its a 12mm fixed lens you may just not have enough IR to get any detail that far from the camera. I suppose it could be reflecting off that big white globe light? but it looks pretty uniform like just not strong enough IR

It also looks to be a 3MP and not so great low light specs.....both working against you at night

Last edited:

benali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IR on these cams at this range is usually ok as per my other cams. At dawn/dusk the image changes from foggy to clear as soon as the IR auto switches off. So think it is the reflection issue.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhhh ok . Well if that's the case I'd try moving the cam a foot towards the corner of the roofline and temporarily cover that white globe with something non reflective

benali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, that was the original location. Same problem, perhaps not as bad, reflection was of top of black lamp housing. I moved it back to try and improve the situation and the fogging was worse, I guess the upvc is more reflective?
Is it the glossiness which causes the problem. If I move it back above the lamp maybe I can mask the top of the lamp housing with a matt material, will this work?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That certainly looks like a bad case of IR reflection to me.
Suggestion:
Screw the mount to a long piece of wood so you can move it around to see the effects of different locations.

benali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorted it, basically about 40mm away from the reflective surface and all was good.
Can someone point me to a thread, recommending motion detection setup in order to minimise rain detection?