Is BI a yearly support susbcription now?

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm considering buying BI and reading reviews on Amazon... one person posted that BI is now chargning a yearly fee for support & software updates (bug fixes).

Whats the full story?

thx

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying BI and reading reviews on Amazon... one person posted that BI is now chargning a yearly fee for support & software updates (bug fixes).

Whats the full story?

thx
updates are still free...

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read the other thread - at least most of it. Whether something is 'normal' or not is irrelevant... I'd like to know what my exact cost will be the case before I make the purchase as I suspect v5 will be out next year. Still not clear if bug fix and minor releases will require a yearly fee. Guess I'll send an email to BI

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not standard to get video software as advanced as BlueIris for the price they are selling it for either..

and the software is perfectly stable, fenderman has dozens of BlueIris NVR's running in production without an issue.. its a software NVR, proper setup and design is even more critical.

If tinyCam on your tablet is far more stable you clearly dont have any idea what your doing.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That shouldn't matter. Is your solution to just keep buying more hardware? My tablet handles these same cameras fine. A cheap tablet.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI is a PC NVR, not a viewing app.. your using it for the wrong purposes; and it requires proper hardware.. which you dont have and thats why a few video streams are killing your CPU.

You have a hammer in one hand and a screw in the other; dont blame the hammer or the screw for your actions..

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no problem if we simply disagree. I do value your opinion.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your tablet gets hardware video acceleration; Unless your laptop has IntelQuickSync HW support you wont get HW acceleration out of BlueIris.. and due to the heavy compression used in HD video, nothing.. not even the most expensive servers out there will handle the number of videos your trying to decode all in software alone.

If you took the hardware acceleration out of your tablet, it wouldent load one camera up at more than 2-3FPS..

Since BlueIris is a NVR, its got hardware requirements that have to be meet.. and your laptop dont meet those requirements.. buying additional hardware is what most people do, your not supposed to dual purpose a video recorder.. if you want to surf web and check your emails, buy another box and leave your video surveillance system alone so it can do its job in peace.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not standard for a one person company. Yeah Microsoft or Adobe but seriously, Blue Iris. This software is far from stable. I use tinycam on my tablet and it's far more stable.
Blue iris is 100 percent stable..if it was not stable then you would not be using it. If you are having issues with stability its user error. I run 20+ blue iris machines. Zero issues. Why should the developer not be able to charge for support? Its 100 percent standard. Do you know that if you pay exacq 50 dollars PER CAMERA license they will provide 90 days of support and ONLY 90 days of updates. Yup...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That shouldn't matter. Is your solution to just keep buying more hardware? My tablet handles these same cameras fine. A cheap tablet.
User error. Plain and simple. IF you dont understand the difference between a tablet and pc, then you have a problem...also not the tablet is pulling and displaying the substream...try displaying the full res images of all those cameras on a table and record all at once...either your hardware is crap, or you are too lazy to read the help file or any threads here to properly setup the software. What processor are you using? what camera resolutions? are you running direct to disk?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I read the other thread - at least most of it. Whether something is 'normal' or not is irrelevant... I'd like to know what my exact cost will be the case before I make the purchase as I suspect v5 will be out next year. Still not clear if bug fix and minor releases will require a yearly fee. Guess I'll send an email to BI
They are free for now..we are all able to download them without issue..your concerned about possibly having to pay 30 dollars for updates? really? look at milestone its free for 8 cams...

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not a BI user, but all the B* about "updates/fee's" for the last several months makes me wish the developer would charge what he most likely deserves for his product/time. That would prob. weed out the majority of all the candy asses that do nothing but b* about having to pay a minimal fee for updates and support. SMH