Is it possible to use a KVM switch + KVM extender for an NVR and PC

budbecks

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Need some help and advice, please. I have a situation where I need access to a remote NVR and also 1 or 2 PC/servers.

1) I have an Hikvision NVR 7608 which is located in a secure garage. Rather than using the software to access the NVR, I would like to use a KVM over IP so I access it in my office because it does not have a monitor setup and its difficult to get to. Plus I want to make my life easier, not harder !!. Running network cables is no problem at all.

2) I have a laptop which currently runs IPTIMELAPSE on it taking minute intervals from a single IP cam. I would like to access this laptop as well so again KVM over IP would work fine with this on its own.

3) ideally I would like to connect a KVM switch to both the laptop and the NVR and then connect the switch to a KVM extender over IP to my office. In the past, I have used a simple KVM switch which allowed me to control 2 PC's and I either pushed a button to switch or had a "HOTKEY" on the keyboard for switching between devices. Theoretically, it would work but not sure in reality.

Questions,

Can you even use a KVM extender on a 7608 NVR?
Can you use a KVM switch on a 7608 NVR?
Can you use a KVM switch and connect it to a KVM extender?

There are very expensive models for servers but way out of my budget 1000+

I was just thinking of a simple VGA switch and KVM over Ip like these.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge as to whether or not this would work, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

budbecks

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I want to avoid using software or web gui if possible. I use it like this now but it’s a pain. Hence the more direct route.