Is it worth buying grey market or Chinese version of Hikvision cameras?

zmx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CCTV companies here charge about three times the price of grey gear to integrator`s its a total rip off. Their lack of experience in the products and networking and let alone IR systems its sad.
I Even asked HIKvisions tosser of a rep "Can I be the third distributor" got a big fat NO on that one. [So you can just keep eating that poo sandwich].

So how can you be competitive with this BS, charge the client $4000 for a four cam system? So basically the high prices mean you dont get the job. More chances for the TARDS I guess.

And as usual the Chinese are playing both sides for maximum profit ! You don't see much grey import axis, Arecont etc that's sealed up good. I used to use their gear now its sown up with "Exclusive Distributors" last time I bough some axis cams P1354 I think they were over $1000 each ouch.

So yes you roll the dice a bit with grey gear, its sometimes cheaper just to replace a cam.
This no "support" crap pisses me off as well -you need experience and skill to give support not "ill get back to you in a few days"...
If you have the know-how you can do it but even then you can get burnt like I nearly did with a 32ch DVR that decided that it would change the admin password itself.
And with HIK`s new f##kyoulongtime password reset system your rooted if you did not buy from one of the official jokers.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And this what Hikvision UK call support too.
The password reset from the tech support is a joke,
It quicker to reload a firmware than wait for them to issue a counter code, yes it is a joke.
Again the official distributors program is about price fixing and control of the market, a mistake on Hikvision part, as open sales is a far bigger and profitable market place and someone will soon fill it, maybe Dahua, who's camera's are getting better each release.

zmx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had a problem with a new DVR changed the password on first boot up, then it would not accept it !
Wasted a huge amount of time because of it.
The secret is create another super user once you have logged in this way if it plays games you have access. [Make sure you tick all the access options tho]