Is it worth extra $10 for 3 megapixel instead of 2 megapixel? (And thoughts on these Amcrest cams?)

Jimbob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering go with Amcrest cameras for my security/surveillance system. Do you think it's worth the extra $10 to get 3 megapixels instead of 2 megapixels?

For example, the difference between these two cameras is $10:

Amcrest IP3M-956W
Amcrest IP2M-851W

(i wish they had a dual-band 5ghz version, because 2.4ghz band is very very congested in my area. I am not able to run PoE cables, so wifi is mandatory. I want to stay with a covered dome camera for outside, to avoid spiders and problems like that.)

For my indoor cameras, I am thinking to get three or four of these: Amcrest IP3M-HX2

For the moment, I will link the cameras to blue iris on an old computer (AMD Athlon II with 3gb RAM) for testing (no recording). Then if things look good I will probably get an Amcrest 8 channel NVR.

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jimbob

n3wb
Reaction score
Avoid wifi... Amcrest is rebranded Dahua... much better options from dahua..
I can't avoid wifi. It's a rental house, and I'm not permitted to drill holes anywhere, and there is a specific clause in my tenant contract that forbids wires being run on the outside of the house more than 2 feet. I have enough leeway to run power, but that's it.

I tried looking for similar cameras from dahua on Amazon, but they don't seem to offer much wifi selection.. and what I did see is another $30+ per camera than the similar Amcrest. Is there another place I should be looking to purchase from?

To be honest, I picked the Amcrest indoor camera I linked to because it's one of the only cameras that my wife agreed to let me install. (It was the only one that "doesn't look butt-ugly". And since they'll be going inside our house, on the walls, where everyone can see them... I need to keep her happy.) So I picked that Amcrest camera, and then I read that everyone says it's better to stay with a single brand... so I looked for Amcrest outdoor cameras that might work.

If there are similar Dahua cameras that aren't twice the price... then let me know. I couldn't find any.

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you absolutely positively have to go wireless? You're setting yourself up for lots of issues regarding reliability, something you can't afford to lose in a surveillance system.
You've got to run power to those wireless cams so why not run a CAT-5e with POE (power & data), avoid the wireless?
Also, those domes can get pretty dusty under the right conditions, an eyeball-style cam can avoid much of that.
Those Amcrest cams are decent and are re-branded Dahua but you're paying a middle man, Amcrest.
Choose the right lens (2.8mm default, 3.0mm and 6.0mm available) from Andy at Empire Technology ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) and spend a little more (total $120 ea.) for a cam that has excellent low-light performance with it's Sony STARVIS sensor, the Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS.

EDIT: I read your response to @fenderman , too bad re: 'no wiring' and best of luck. IMO, the Amcrest will be a good choice considering your criteria, I've installed about 20 cams, 2 NVR's and have 2 cams myself.

Last edited:

Jimbob

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you absolutely positively have to go wireless?
Yes, I do. My landlord absolutely will not allow me to run PoE cable. I've already discussed it with him, and he told me straight out that he'll enforce the clause in my contract (which says no cabling runs longer than 2 feet, and no holes ANYWHERE) to evict me. He is absolutely itching to get me out, because I'm locked into a very low rental rate, and he wants to get a new tenant so he can jack up the rates. (I'm paying about $500/month below market rates.)

... spend a little more (total $120 ea.) for a cam that has excellent low-light performance with it's Sony STARVIS sensor, the Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS.
I'm not averse to spending an extra $20 or $30 per camera for much better quality... but (besides the camera you linked not being wireless) I have not found similar wireless cameras from Dahua. If the Amcrest cameras are just rebranded... then shouldn't I be able to find the exact same ones from Dahua somewhere?

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand. I'm a slow typist and later edited my post #4 to you when you explained to @fenderman .
There's these for $160 each (shown as $201 until you log in with account) but they don't have Sony starlight (STARVIS) sensors.

Jimbob

n3wb
Reaction score
There's these for $160 each ..
OK, I'm trying really hard to understand all this stuff. Thanks for your patience.

The Amcrest 3megapixel camera I linked to in my post is $90. If Amcrest is rebranded Dahua, then it should be pretty decent quality, right? (I have no idea, it's a serious question). Is this Dahua camera actually worth the extra $70? I need at least four of these outdoor ones, so it's an extra $210 that I have to justify. (Plus, if I want to keep everything the same brand, which I've read is highly recommended.. then I have to also justify to my wife why I'm installing different cameras inside the house than the only one she actually liked. (Unless Dahua sells a camera that looks like this?) (And if the equivalent indoor cameras are approximately the same more expensive.. then that's about $400 extra over the Amcrest cameras.)

I guess.. at the end of the day... I'm trying to understand if spending an extra $400 minimum for Dahua cameras is worth it. I'm not looking for "best of the best" for security. I am looking for something that will work to see when the kids get home from school, and for proof when my wif'e's crazy ex violates his no-contact order again and mashes another window. (Yup. Gotta love the crazy exes.)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jimbob

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup. I saw that one in another post that someone recommended. I really like it, but my wife does not. She says, "The ugly split color (half white/black) and LED lights will make it an immediate focal point."

I can't argue with her (she says that's one of the agreements in our marriage vows), so... I am forced to try and find an "all black" camera that "doesn't stick out too far from the wall". My wife says the Amcrest one I linked to looks "OK, if we *have* to have cameras in the house." If there's another camera that looks like that, then I'm totally open to it.

Now, that being said... is Amcrest not a decent brand? I mean, I understand they are apparently rebranded Dhuaua stuff... but if so, then they should be ok, right?

And... I'm curious if anyone thinks the extra $10 for the 3 megapixel is worth it? (As per my original post question.)

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I'm trying really hard to understand all this stuff. Thanks for your patience.
The Amcrest 3megapixel camera I linked to in my post is $90. If Amcrest is rebranded Dahua, then it should be pretty decent quality, right? (I have no idea, it's a serious question).
If I were you (and I'm not, certainly) but if I were in your position (the wife, the budget, the tenant contract, etc.) I'd go with the Amcrest (your choice of model) at amazon as you linked. If you're not happy, just don't discard the boxes, be kind to all of it and note how it was packaged so you can return it with the stated period (30 days?). Just tell them it did not live up to your expectations.

Just be prepared to not have the best low light performance that is available (not mediocre, but not the best), the likely, periodic dusting/cleaning of the dome lens and possibly, glitches with the wireless (maybe not but very possible).

Otherwise, they should fit the bill...and keep your other half happy .... and that alone can be priceless! Best of luck to you! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can make any camera wifi.... starlight fixed cams are 100

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I do. My landlord absolutely will not allow me to run PoE cable. I've already discussed it with him, and he told me straight out that he'll enforce the clause in my contract (which says no cabling runs longer than 2 feet, and no holes ANYWHERE) to evict me. He is absolutely itching to get me out, because I'm locked into a very low rental rate, and he wants to get a new tenant so he can jack up the rates. (I'm paying about $500/month below market rates.)
If that's your position, make sure you get the permission to run the power cable in writing. Many a landlord has said one thing and then done another. I'd write to the landlord with your proposed wireless system (outdoor part) showing the camera locations and specifying the power cable, and ask permission.

He's either going to give it you, in which case you're covered, or deny saying he approved it, in which case it saves you wasting your money. Either way, it should preserve your tenancy. Going ahead on his word only, could easily lead to him denying he gave you permission and evicting you on the strength of your "breach".

If the worst comes to the worst, you can still fit indoor cameras.

BTW Dahua make this in both wired and wireless versions - all one colour white:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/11631

As for the led's, only a power one that's obvious, a very small piece of white electrical tape should soon cover that over. You could literally cut it to almost the same size as the led using a scalpel and a cutting board.

Last edited:

Jimbob

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd write to the landlord with your proposed wireless system (outdoor part) showing the camera locations and specifying the power cable, and ask permission.
Absolutely. Getting his written permission is definitely something we will need to do.

BTW Dahua make this in both wired and wireless versions - all one colour white:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/11631
Unfortunately, my wife is 100% adamant that she wants a black camera, because apparently white is too "jarring" and visually would stick out to much. I can't argue with her, because she's always right and I also don't like sleeping on the couch.

I'm curious, though.. if Amcrest is a rebranded version of Dahua, then does won't they still be decent quality?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely. Getting his written permission is definitely something we will need to do.

Unfortunately, my wife is 100% adamant that she wants a black camera, because apparently white is too "jarring" and visually would stick out to much. I can't argue with her, because she's always right and I also don't like sleeping on the couch.

I'm curious, though.. if Amcrest is a rebranded version of Dahua, then does won't they still be decent quality?
To answer your original question if its worth $10 for 3mp, the answer is no. You'll have better low light ability with 2mp.

They are a decent quality, but Amcrest does hobble some of the features that the Dahua version would have.

Me? I'd say your stuck between a rock and a hard place, so buy a couple of the Amcrest and test them rigorously during the return period.

Be prepared, with that many wifi cams, you WILL have issues of some sorts.

I have had two of the Annke Hik clones setting on shelves in the main areas of our house for several months, and not a single visitor has noticed them. They don't have to go on the wall. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup. I saw that one in another post that someone recommended. I really like it, but my wife does not. She says, "The ugly split color (half white/black) and LED lights will make it an immediate focal point."

I can't argue with her (she says that's one of the agreements in our marriage vows), so... I am forced to try and find an "all black" camera that "doesn't stick out too far from the wall". My wife says the Amcrest one I linked to looks "OK, if we *have* to have cameras in the house." If there's another camera that looks like that, then I'm totally open to it.

Now, that being said... is Amcrest not a decent brand? I mean, I understand they are apparently rebranded Dhuaua stuff... but if so, then they should be ok, right?

And... I'm curious if anyone thinks the extra $10 for the 3 megapixel is worth it? (As per my original post question.)

Thanks!
Believe it or don't, I disassembled and spray-painted one of the Annke cameras a few months ago. As long as you're careful and mask off the lens and IR sensor and IR illuminator, and use paint designed for plastic, it will work out fairly well. Blue painters tape or green Frog tape and an Exacto knife work wonders.