Is my SSD dying?

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Over the last few days my BI server has been locking up intermittently, the web server would crash and clicking on things sometimes takes a while to respond. My drives are not running out of space and clips aren't missing as far as I can tell. I've rebooted the PC a few times, ran chkdsk, malware scans and nothing was found.

I use a SSD as my primary drive and 190 terabytes have been written to it so far. Even though the Samsung Magician software is saying my drive is in good condition, do you think it still could be on the verge of dying? How much life are you guys getting out of your SSD drives?

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That makes more sense lol. SSDs have a limitted amount of re-writes. According to this article you're looking at 18 months if you are using it as video storage. It may or may not have anything to do with your crashes, but I would buy a regular drive for your video asap. Keep your os on the SSD.

Find out how much longer your SSD will last
My OS is on the SSD, but so is the NEW folder. Do you think I should move the NEW folder to another drive as well?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I got my first SSD 6-1/2 years ago, and have 5 running in-house now. I've never had a lick of trouble with any of them. This doesn't mean you don't have a dud, I'm just trying to say I find them pretty darn trouble-free, and think you should keep an open mind about it being the cause of your problem . Either way, I agree with the other posts about getting the temporary video storage off of it. If you have worn out the drive, this will be the first I've heard of first-hand. The EVO drive is a MLC type, which does cycle the cells more often when writing data.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've deleted all my clips and databases and moved my NEW folder to one of my other spinning drives while leaving the OS on my SSD. So far so good. No lockup yet. Probably something I should have done when I initially set up the system.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got my first SSD 6-1/2 years ago, and have 5 running in-house now. I've never had a lick of trouble with any of them. This doesn't mean you don't have a dud, I'm just trying to say I find them pretty darn trouble-free, and think you should keep an open mind about it being the cause of your problem . Either way, I agree with the other posts about getting the temporary video storage off of it. If you have worn out the drive, this will be the first I've heard of first-hand. The EVO drive is a MLC type, which does cycle the cells more often when writing data.
Yes but you need to be clear on how those SSDs are used. He's rotating video constantly on those drives which WILL shorten the life expectancy.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes but you need to be clear on how those SSDs are used. He's rotating video constantly on those drives which WILL shorten the life expectancy.
Since I recommended getting the video off of the SSD, it's a pretty safe assumption that I don't use my own that way.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since I recommended getting the video off of the SSD, it's a pretty safe assumption that I don't use my own that way.
I never said you did... however he clearly was so it's not really an issue of keeping an open mind about the cause of his issues with that drive. It's been used very heavily which is likely put it near it's EOL. It's also a 750 Evo which is already an old model to begin with.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless it has nothing to do with the drive. What was the cpu %? Is it a memory leak issue? Not much info in the OP. Let's see what happens.
I don't know as much as you guys about ssd failure but do they quit altogether or just get sluggish as described? Seems if you have reached end of life, it should be dead.

Tome10

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new, I've never heard of a write limit on SSD drives. I bought my system with a built in 500G SSD to run the OS, Blue Iris, and have a fast media for BI to write to. This is the wrong approach? I need to have Blue Iris writing to an external regular drive?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new, I've never heard of a write limit on SSD drives. I bought my system with a built in 500G SSD to run the OS, Blue Iris, and have a fast media for BI to write to. This is the wrong approach? I need to have Blue Iris writing to an external regular drive?
Always write to an internal drive... there is a limit but it's high... Significantly higher than the actual rating of the drive which you can find easily with a Google search.. but if your continuously recording or writing lots of data you can easily exceed that... For many applications it can take you several years to reach that point... It all depends on how much you're writing...

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually yes. You'd be better off writing video files to a WD purple (internal) and use the ssd for your c drive with os and BI databse.

Tome10

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, it's set up to only record triggered motion, so it's not writing as much as it would be if I was recording 24/7. I'll setup an external drive. I just thought it would be better to write to an SSD for speed. I was unaware of a write limit, as I thought they would function until they started to biodegrade in the next century.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it's set up to only record triggered motion, so it's not writing as much as it would be if I was recording 24/7. I'll setup an external drive. I just thought it would be better to write to an SSD for speed. I was unaware of a write limit, as I thought they would function until they started to biodegrade in the next century.
It's easy to calculate how much you recording monthly and then do the math... Don't write to an external drive mount a proper drive inside the PC

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have my 'new' folder on primary SSD, I thought that’s the recommended way to do it? I was sure it said in BI to keep 'new' on primary drive.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have my 'new' folder on primary SSD, I thought that’s the recommended way to do it? I was sure it said in BI to keep 'new' on primary drive.
Nope. Put the new folder on the secondary internal drive and you only need the "new" folder. No need for a "storage" folder. SSD is great for os and BI database but the recording is best kept on something like a WD purple that is internal.