Is PTZ with tracking right for my very wide but narrow front yard?

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have about long and narrow (158'X50') area of the yard facing increasingly busy street I'd like to cover with camera(s). I have couple Dahua PTZs now I really like that seem to work well for the area I use them for.

I am trying to avoid having to run conduit and wire to multiple cameras (soil is very rocky). Would love to just place one on the light pole (marked with letter A) and have it zoom/track automatically. Is this something doable for under $500?

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Auto Zoom & Tracking in the camera sucks nuts and wont work.. if you want any form of reliable tracking setup physical sensors to tell the camera to look at a preset..

whats going to happen is a squirrel is going to run across, and go up a tree.. then your camera will be distracted by the tree blowing in the wind for the rest of the day while someone walks under it and never gets seen at all by anything.

wireless motion sensors, vehicle sensors, trip wire sensors, pressure mats will work.. the black face dahuas have 2 alarm inputs built in on most of em, some have 7 alarm inputs.. but you can always use the HTTP api to call presets or a NVR with alarm inputs.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. Yeah the current setup for the rest of the cameras does sometimes drive me nuts with alerts, when it is windy and sunny. Any recommendations for some trip wire and motion sensors I should look at?

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How would you approach putting in PIR in the area 100' away from where the camera is where there is no power there? I have blackface Dahua right now for PTZ that can see that area

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they make wireless ones that run off battery, something like this: http://www.smarthome.com/dakota-alert-dcma-2500-duty-cycle-motion-alert-kit.html

has relay outputs on the receiver, just hook those up to your NVR or camera.. you can also DIY your own by taking a standard detector and pairing it with a RFX433Mhz TX and RX Modules and a battery.. they are pretty low consumption and could run off enough AA's in a series to make 12v.. a LiPo4 they use in RC Aircraft would probably last eons.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't recall SD29204S-GN having alarm inputs (at least I am not seeing them from the config page). I am also running BI. Probably not a good setup for PIRs

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no it does not, but my Dahua NVR has 8 inputs and I use several of them to control my SD29204S-GN.. I believe there are ways to get IO control into BlueIris; ive seen people on here accomplish it.

right now I have a doorbell sensor and a contact switch on my front door hardwired into my NVR, along with a contact switch in my parcel box, in the mail is a 24"x36" pressure mat thats going under my front door mat.. all of them instruct my Mini Black Face dahua to move.

an example: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/14007-How-To-PTZ-Control-via-DoorBell-amp-NVR

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am also running BI. Probably not a good setup for PIRs
Actually is a very good setup for PIR. All you need is a sealevel device (USB or network) and you can use PIR with blue iris...Search the help file for sealevel. If you get a networked device you dont even need to homerun the wires to the BI machine or rely on wireless. I picked up a used 120E on ebay for 50 dollars
There are other ways of doing it but they are more complex. https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3359-ARDUINO-amp-BLUE-IRIS-SERIAL-digital-i-o-DIO?p=35727&viewfull=1#post35727

telbouy916

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually is a very good setup for PIR. All you need is a sealevel device (USB or network) and you can use PIR with blue iris...Search the help file for sealevel. If you get a networked device you dont even need to homerun the wires to the BI machine or rely on wireless. I picked up a used 120E on ebay for 50 dollars
There are other ways of doing it but they are more complex.
I've noticed many of the links you have in your posts are not working. this particular link may contain some crumbs many of us could use. possible to recover them please?