Is Shinobi considered as an NVR software?

jang430

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to revive my CCTV setup. I didn't have much success with my previous analog cameras as I didn't do much research and consultation. Now, I want to change my analog cameras and replace it with IP cameras. I use a NAS at home, and I use Docker containers. Have anyone here heard about Shinobi? Shinobi - Simple CCTV and NVR Solution - Home It's a docker container that records IP Cameras. Anyone have experience with using a NAS/ Docker apps to record feed from IP cameras? What is your experience with it?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have looked at it a little. It looks interesting to run it in a docker container. I just have not had the time to
try it out. It would probably run on very little resources allowing a small fanless setup, that makes it really interesting for
using at a remote location like a off grid cabin Think very low power. I would love to keep track of the wildlife running around.

If you deside to try it, please make a topic to let us know how it goes.

jang430

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you @Old Timer ! My primary purpose for using it is it saves cost and it runs as a docker app on my nas. I already have many docker apps running, I don't mind another one :D I will be using it for home setup, I'm just beginning my research today, I will make a topic when I get to use it :D Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an inherent distrust of docker apps because the only one I run is Plex and I have to restart it regularly because it will stop responding. I don't understand how they work or how to debug them so its like a black box to me and I hate not having a clue how a computer program works ;)

jang430

n3wb
Reaction score
:) On the otherhand, I have very good experiences with Docker containers, they are light, and very reliable, and easy to setup, within seconds. I don't have to go out and buy a new hardware as NAS can provision the docker apps within a minute :D

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the configuration gui itself would need a UI designer, lot´s of settings in an endless list. Otherwise it works just fine.

it´s not very lightwight when you run it with multiple high resolution cameras.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
it´s not very lightwight when you run it with multiple high resolution cameras.
That spoils the whole reason to go with it. I'm disappointed, guess it will go farther down the list.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
there is no magic solution, everyone has to work with the same resources. but basically the performance is good, the developer of shinobi more or less dealt with gpu/cpu acceleration from the beginning. same for different "ai" solutions, where he gives sometimes insights on social media.

abductors

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the idea Shinobi isn't lightweight or unstable has come from. I've been using it for more than a year and its been rock solid.

It takes the H264 or H265 stream directly from the camera so its extremely efficient because its not doing any hardware processing unless you turn on features like motion detection or timelapse. I have a low power dual core intel celeron grade system and it can easily handle 10-20 cameras unless its doing motion detection in which case only 2-3.

It also can use the camera's motion handling to trigger recording so you don't need to use the PC to do the heavy lifting.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to revive my CCTV setup. I didn't have much success with my previous analog cameras as I didn't do much research and consultation. Now, I want to change my analog cameras and replace it with IP cameras. I use a NAS at home, and I use Docker containers. Have anyone here heard about Shinobi? Shinobi - Simple CCTV and NVR Solution - Home It's a docker container that records IP Cameras. Anyone have experience with using a NAS/ Docker apps to record feed from IP cameras? What is your experience with it?
Hi @jang430

I would definitely encourage you to get one decent IP camera that meets ONVIF specs well enough to work with various 3rd party VMS / NVRs / et al products. ( rtsp ), and try it out.

Each product has pros and cons, and depends on your needs.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried Shinobi a few years ago before making the switch to BlueIris. It "worked", but I found it to be very unreliable. I would have cameras drop randomly and it would take a lot to get them back. I initially tried it because it was free. After about 6 months, I realized it wasn't for me. I paid for my BI license and haven't looked back since. BI has never failed me or been unreliable in the 2+ years I have been using it. It is 100% worth the small license fee.

Now I would hope that Shinobi has continued to evolve in the 2.5 years since I used it. But BI has as well and I still think that BI is the best deal in town.

Last edited: