Is there a Blue Iris equivalent for Linux?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t have any such problems with my Windows 10 BI desktop. Yes updates can be a pain but I have them set to let me decide when to update and I also have driver updates disabled.

I sometimes don’t actually log onto my BI desktop for weeks, yes Windows will tell me that there is an update but I decide when to install it and when to restart the desktop.

clubbevis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I am not linux fan nor windows fan. I am using windows based surveilance solution from digifort and i am fed up. The updates hell on windows is making this system unusable. Every two weeks the system disconnects from lan until i restart it to install updates, behavior of the system changes with each update etc. I really do not recommend windows for any 24/7 unattended task. It was usable through windows xp up to early windows 10 but now it is very unreliable due to forced updates and changes to the system beyond your control. I even had a periid of 2 months when system was hanging up ca every week. It started with one of the updates and cured itself with some other. I have no such problems with any of my linux machines

Here are the answers to your issues - SecuritySpy

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the answers to your issues - SecuritySpy
There are many windows based vms that are perfectly stable. No need to overpay for a Mac. Windows is perfectly stable. Security spy and macs like any other products have issues as well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Automatic updates are easily disabled in Windows 10. Especially on professional versions, you just need to edit one group policy setting.

Code:
gpedit.msc
 -> Computer Configuration
    -> Administrative Templates
       -> Windows Components
          -> Windows Update
             -> Configure Automatic Updates
You can enable that setting and configure it to "Notify for download and auto install". It will still nag once in a while but I find this an acceptable compromise.

If you don't have a Professional edition of Windows, you can google for a way to disable updates on Home edition. Or sidestep the issue entirely by installing a modded OS like this: Windows 10 Minus The Spyware + Added Stability and Security

cepler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read about BlueCherry, but couldn't find any recent reliable reviews to know if it's worth anything.
BlueCherry seems to have a demo download you can try, have you tried that? I'm not setup to test it out right now but would welcome some eyes on it and your thoughts. Not sure why you're being attacked here. Weird.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BlueCherry seems to have a demo download you can try, have you tried that? I'm not setup to test it out right now but would welcome some eyes on it and your thoughts. Not sure why you're being attacked here. Weird.
You are confusing correcting false and misleading information with being attacked. There are several threads on blue cherry.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BlueCherryDvr is now open source. Note that it has a couple of features that are lacking (unless their new 3.0 beta has changed this). For recording, you can either record 24x7 or record on motion, at least when I used it. The client software for viewing video is based on Qt (cross-platform development tool) and it is open source, which will run on linux, Windows, OSX.

cepler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are confusing correcting false and misleading information with being attacked. There are several threads on blue cherry.
The OP asked for a Linux solution, not a lecture on why he should just use Windows. But then you launch into calling him a 'snob' for his decision. Like I said, weird.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The OP asked for a Linux solution, not a lecture on why he should just use Windows. But then you launch into calling him a 'snob' for his decision. Like I said, weird.
@clubbevis

This is because of the false information regarding windows stability. Some of the most expensive and advanced VMS like avigilon run on windows. I personally have over 20 blue iris machines running on windows for many years with zero issues. This is easy to do by implementing a bit of common sense. The fact that you are unaware of this is like you said, weird. You will get the same response if you come here asking for the "best" reolink system to buy. We will tell you to avoid it. IF you or the op dont like the way I respond to your demands for particular answers you can leave the forum I can assist you with that. The OP is not paying me for my responses by the word and I will provide accurate information and will challenge false assertions and statements made.

clubbevis

n3wb
Reaction score
@clubbevis

This is because of the false information regarding windows stability. Some of the most expensive and advanced VMS like avigilon run on windows. I personally have over 20 blue iris machines running on windows for many years with zero issues. This is easy to do by implementing a bit of common sense. The fact that you are unaware of this is like you said, weird. You will get the same response if you come here asking for the "best" reolink system to buy. We will tell you to avoid it. IF you or the op dont like the way I respond to your demands for particular answers you can leave the forum I can assist you with that. The OP is not paying me for my responses by the word and I will provide accurate information and will challenge false assertions and statements made.
Well I personally said nothing about the stability of windows or BI. I did not say " weird ". I said " this " as I was agreeing that the OP was asking for a Linux solution. And after further research, SS will NOT run under Linux, only OSX.
I did not go back and read the entire thread to see if you called him a snob or not.
Thats it. Nothing more, nothing less. I provided no false information at all. All I suggested was security spy if he wanted a linux solution and that was wrong as I have said, SS will not run under Linux.
If there is a forum rule that says you cant talk about anything other than BI or OS other than windows, I shall abide by the rules. If there is such a rule, I have overlooked it and I apologize.
I have no dog in the fight. I have ran BI and SS and I prefer SS because I had an extra iMac sitting around to test it on for 30 days. For the cost, BI can't be beat. SS is insanely expensive if you have a lot of cameras but it does run under OSX and its rock solid stable.
I think to say that any OS is without some stability issues is ridiculous .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I personally said nothing about the stability of windows or BI. I did not say " weird ". I said " this " as I was agreeing that the OP was asking for a Linux solution. And after further research, SS will NOT run under Linux, only OSX.
I did not go back and read the entire thread to see if you called him a snob or not.
Thats it. Nothing more, nothing less. I provided no false information at all. All I suggested was security spy if he wanted a linux solution and that was wrong as I have said, SS will not run under Linux.
If there is a forum rule that says you cant talk about anything other than BI or OS other than windows, I shall abide by the rules. If there is such a rule, I have overlooked it and I apologize.
I have no dog in the fight. I have ran BI and SS and I prefer SS because I had an extra iMac sitting around to test it on for 30 days. For the cost, BI can't be beat. SS is insanely expensive if you have a lot of cameras but it does run under OSX and its rock solid stable.
I think to say that any OS is without some stability issues is ridiculous .
The User you responded is having issues running digifort on windows. I don’t need your passive aggressive bullshit about not being able to talk about anything else. No one said you can’t talk about anything else you fool We have Subforum here dedicated to other VMS, I routinely recommend alternatives to blue Iris. My point simply was that Security spy has issues as well Macs have issues as well And that windows is extremely stable. The user doesn’t need to use Blue Iris or anything else he can continue using digifort and simply set windows up properly. You didn’t even bother reading his problem.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
The User you responded is having issues running digifort on windows. I don’t need your passive aggressive bullshit about not being able to talk about anything else. No one said you can’t talk about anything else you fool We have Subforum here dedicated to other VMS, I routinely recommend alternatives to blue Iris. My point simply was that Security spy has issues as well Macs have issues as well And that windows is extremely stable. The user doesn’t need to use Blue Iris or anything else he can continue using digifort and simply set windows up properly. You didn’t even bother reading his problem.
Mac has been having major issues lately!
The last 2 months we have had to do major work on probably 70% of the Mac's we have out there. Compaired to 30% microsoft.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Automatic updates are easily disabled in Windows 10. Especially on professional versions, you just need to edit one group policy setting.

Code:
gpedit.msc
-> Computer Configuration
    -> Administrative Templates
       -> Windows Components
          -> Windows Update
             -> Configure Automatic Updates
You can enable that setting and configure it to "Notify for download and auto install". It will still nag once in a while but I find this an acceptable compromise.

If you don't have a Professional edition of Windows, you can google for a way to disable updates on Home edition. Or sidestep the issue entirely by installing a modded OS like this: Windows 10 Minus The Spyware + Added Stability and Security
@bp2008
Have you used the modded Windows personally?
I may give that a try just for kicks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@looney2ns Nope, I haven't. I was going to download the prepared image for possible later experimentation, but I couldn't download the torrent file. Clicking the supposed download link just reopens the same page in a new browser tab. That may be because I don't have a "telegram" account, but I didn't feel like creating one just to find out so I abandoned it. If that download does indeed require a telegram account, that is a ridiculously poor way for it to fail.

cepler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@looney2ns Nope, I haven't. I was going to download the prepared image for possible later experimentation, but I couldn't download the torrent file. Clicking the supposed download link just reopens the same page in a new browser tab. That may be because I don't have a "telegram" account, but I didn't feel like creating one just to find out so I abandoned it. If that download does indeed require a telegram account, that is a ridiculously poor way for it to fail.
Installing a 'moded' OS install via a torrent link doesn't seem to be a bright idea security-wise...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well everything you install on a computer is a risk. The fact it is delivered by torrent makes no difference. It isn't particularly uncommon for OS images to be served as torrents because they are so large, but in this particular case where it is a Windows image, they obviously did it as a torrent because it would be harder for Microsoft to get it taken offline.

cepler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well everything you install on a computer is a risk. The fact it is delivered by torrent makes no difference. It isn't particularly uncommon for OS images to be served as torrents because they are so large, but in this particular case where it is a Windows image, they obviously did it as a torrent because it would be harder for Microsoft to get it taken offline.
There's quite a difference between an OS which has essentially free reign over your entire system and an application which does not.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
There is an osx solution ..... If you want something that runs as good or better than BI on OSX, SecuritySpy is the top dog. BUT, break out your wallet because its a per camera license system. The free download version is view only. No recording until you break out the money.

Oh, and I usually just lurk and try to gain knowledge from people here that know what the hell they are talking about but, you are a snob..... Your feelings get hurt like a 10 year old girl.

do you use SecuritySpy for the Mac? How do you like it?

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There's quite a difference between an OS which has essentially free reign over your entire system and an application which does not.
Yeah... about that. I don't know about these days, but, once-upon-a-time everything running on MS-Windows insisted on installing itself with Administrator rights. This used to be one of my many concerns about the OS. To be clear: That wasn't Microsoft's fault, but that of the applications' developers. Still: It was a concern and one reason I refused to use the OS for anything important.

An app that is allowed to install itself with Administrator rights has has much free reign over the system as the OS.