Is There a Cam That Will Read License Plates at 30 Yards at Night?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Like the title says I am curios of there is a camera (that doesn't cost $10k) that has the ability to read plates at about 30 yards at night. I currently have a Hikvision 2CD2232-I5 pointing at the intersection in front of my house and while it is a great cam for the general overview, the zoom is not good for details. I assume that there most likely isn't an affordable camera (for fun lets say under $1k) that will do this, but I thought I would ask. Here are a couple pics from my current cam:

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will need a lens that will zoom in closer to the car...12mm or more depending on where you are mounting it..you will also need to adjust the exposure to 1/200 ...see this thread
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2242-License-Plates-at-Night&highlight=plate
Side note, you can probably clear up the image on the camera you posted by bumping up the the noise reduction and disabling wdr at night..maybe lower the gain a bit as well...

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can get a 25mm lens although never tried it in a 2232, but works in 2032 and 3332. That would give you twice the magnification of the 12mm. I can read plates at night with a 12mm 2032 at about 50-60' in 3MP mode, but any further and the numbers would be too small, so my guess is that 25mm should be able to read out to 90'. Keep in mind, the camera will have no other purpose at night as in order to read plates, you have to make the image near black.

Here's the lens - http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_91&products_id=388

foreverjne

n3wb
Reaction score
You can get a 25mm lens although never tried it in a 2232, but works in 2032 and 3332. That would give you twice the magnification of the 12mm. I can read plates at night with a 12mm 2032 at about 50-60' in 3MP mode, but any further and the numbers would be too small, so my guess is that 25mm should be able to read out to 90'. Keep in mind, the camera will have no other purpose at night as in order to read plates, you have to make the image near black.
Do you need additional IR to read the plates from 50-60' at night? I'm also thinking of setting up a 2032 to read plates at 70-100' at night. If it just need additional IR, I'm looking to get a narrow beam (10 degree) IR illuminator.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn't IR led cause licence plate to "glow" making it hard to read or is that overexposure that making licence plate glow at night?

Bill

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Doesn't IR led cause licence plate to "glow" making it hard to read or is that overexposure that making licence plate glow at night?

Bill
Bill, I want to the license plate to "glow" as you put it, that way I know the IR is working and reflecting off the plate. Just have to tweak the exposure so it's not overblown. I can say it once or 100 times and people still don't get it. Make the exposure max 1/200 and the gain 75.