Is there a NVR that has audio RCA input?

aloau

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to record sound from an external microphone (RCA input) into channel 1. For a DVR there is audio RCA input but I have not found any NVR that has RCA input. Is there such a NVR with RCA audio input? (preferably Hikvision as my current DVR is from Hikvision)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most NVRs have audio in and out and use RCA inputs

aloau

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the DS-7608NI-Q1/8P have it? It looks like it only have audio out?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to record sound from an external microphone (RCA input) into channel 1. For a DVR there is audio RCA input but I have not found any NVR that has RCA input. Is there such a NVR with RCA audio input? (preferably Hikvision as my current DVR is from Hikvision)
Hi @aloau

Depends on the NVR - most of the better / higher model ones have RCA connectors. The more affordable models may not.

See attached pictures, examples of a Dahua OEM NVR ( top one is similar to the Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2x )

upload_2019-4-30_9-19-59.png

upload_2019-4-30_9-20-49.png

aloau

n3wb
Reaction score
If I have a IPC with a built-in mic, can I override it with the RCA in?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I have a IPC with a built-in mic, can I override it with the RCA in?
Hi aloau,

Cameras with microphones can embed the audio within the video ( h.264, h.265 ) stream.

Remember, do be cautious with regards to legal issues. There maybe wiretap laws in your state that you may need to be aware of, thus you may want to post a sign near the cameras with microphones. ( ianal )

aloau

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi aloau,

Cameras with microphones can embed the audio within the video ( h.264, h.265 ) stream.

Remember, do be cautious with regards to legal issues. There maybe wiretap laws in your state that you may need to be aware of, thus you may want to post a sign near the cameras with microphones. ( ianal )
yup, thats why I want to override the camera audio stream recorded with the RCA in. Is it possible? I bought cameras with built in mic already...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yup, thats why I want to override the camera audio stream recorded with the RCA in. Is it possible? I bought cameras with built in mic already...
Hi @aloau

I've not attempted to do that, and thus uncertain of how challenging it would be to use the NVR's RCA jack for audio input to replace the audio input of the camera.

The H.264/h.265 encoding happens on each camera - so if something like that was to work, you would have to send the audio from the NVR RCA input to the camera.

Does not seem like something that I would spend the time to configure if I was the product manager / designer of the security camera.

Certainly if a camera has it's own RCA jack that should be a better setup.