Is there an alternative to ivMS-4200

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a client that will show the output of the cameras that will run on a low spec PC.
ivMS seems to be quite heavy on CPU and I was wondering if this is typical of IP cameras or if there was a more cpu friendly program that would enable live view only.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In "system configuration > image" there is "hardware decoding preferred". Maybe this will help, Assuming you have a decent GPU to use. I think thats what it means by "hardware", what else is there lol

Im also on an old amd 8320 so just how old is your PC anyway.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have varying PCs. Intel core2 quad 2.66ghz, but I have a laptop with Pentium3 500mhz that I used to use to monitor the cameras when i had an analog system when i was working in my shed. I can't get ivMS to run on that. It runs on my android tablet and phone, but they really get hot running it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have varying PCs. Intel core2 quad 2.66ghz, but I have a laptop with Pentium3 500mhz that I used to use to monitor the cameras when i had an analog system when i was working in my shed. I can't get ivMS to run on that. It runs on my android tablet and phone, but they really get hot running it.
Those are not adequate..the quad is a huge power hog..it will be cheaper to replace with a 100 third generation i5 system...

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Holy dinosaur. That is definitely without doubt not a good enough.

Is upgrading an option?

My pc is amd 8320, 8gb ram and uses rx 480 gpu and runs 4k playback on iVMS smoothly until i hit x8 on fast forward. Thats to give you an idea. My pc is also cheap except the gpu. I THINK you can switch the protocol eg. "Onvif" on the cams and use different software like blue iris but you may lose features.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, I know the laptop is old and under powered, but I was just hoping that A. I could put it to good use as a monitor and B. that it was something that I really did not care if it got damaged in the shed. (which is highly possible). I will look into upgrading everything.

Bink

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the web interface an option? What about something Android-based that runs the iVMS-4500 app?

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those are not adequate..the quad is a huge power hog..it will be cheaper to replace with a 100 third generation i5 system...
I am trying to get my head around what real performance I am going to get out of changing processor. I have a gen3 i7 laptop which is great but I want to upgrade my desktop and hopefully build some longevity into it. I am thinking i7, 16gb ram, but most info on the net revolves around this being gaming spec. I have been happy with the performance of my Core2 Q9400 but I am getting the rotating pointer to often now, (which probably has a lot to do with Win7 being clogged up in the registry). Any advice is always welcome.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to get my head around what real performance I am going to get out of changing processor. I have a gen3 i7 laptop which is great but I want to upgrade my desktop and hopefully build some longevity into it. I am thinking i7, 16gb ram, but most info on the net revolves around this being gaming spec. I have been happy with the performance of my Core2 Q9400 but I am getting the rotating pointer to often now, (which probably has a lot to do with Win7 being clogged up in the registry). Any advice is always welcome.
the q9400 is burning a hole in your wallet..you can more than double the performance with a 120 dollar 3rd generation i5 system via ebay...ivms is pretty light.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was running ivMS4200 on one of my PCs today and noticed it was totally maxed out on 100% cpu. After some research, I changed the play performance to "shortest delay", unticked "auto change stream type" and ticked "hardware decoding preferred" and the cpu came down to almost nothing. There seem to be no trade off either. So, good to go now.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Good advice to solve this issue. We have gone through training on HikVision equipment and software and there are quite a few small quirks with iVMS 4200. Once you get it set up and running good, it's a breeze. If you are using HikVision cameras and recorders, the remote config works perfect for the line crossing and intrusion detection without going into each camera.

thebaz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good advice to solve this issue. We have gone through training on HikVision equipment and software and there are quite a few small quirks with iVMS 4200. Once you get it set up and running good, it's a breeze. If you are using HikVision cameras and recorders, the remote config works perfect for the line crossing and intrusion detection without going into each camera.
Yeah, and I took your earlier advice and set the cameras to "sub=stream", that helped as well.