Is this a good PC base to start a build using Blue Iris?

Gunther

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, newb here interested in expert feedback. I've done a fair bit of reading to prepare for my new 4 camera system... even read the FAQ and Cliff's Notes. Appreciate all your time, dedication and expertise!

Goal: start with 4 IP POE cameras for exterior house surveillance with the capacity to expand to 8 cameras. My house is fairly compact in size, so 8 may be a little overkill. I have realistic use cases for 6 cameras once I solve a few install and cabling challenges. Regardless, I don't want to lock myself in to fewer options at this point.

I started researching dedicated NVR/camera setups but each had one or more compromises I didn't like (awful software, questionable manufacturers, cloud storage, non-upgradeable or dubious firmware, etc.). So I decided to start with a dedicated PC running Blue Iris.

This PC seems to tick all the right boxes and is cheap too. I plan to add a second NIC on a separate network to isolate the cameras, toss in a 3TB WD HDD I have on hand, and setup remote access to the PC via VPN.

Do you see any gotchas or issues using that PC in my plan? I'd like to avoid surprises if possible while using this as a starting point.

I haven't yet decided on cameras (more research to do), but my plan is to install a POE switch with Gbit uplink to pull them all into the second NIC.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
**Crap, realized I filed this in the wrong forum... mean to put this in the NVRs, DVRs, and Computers discussions. I sent a DM requesting it be moved. Sorry mods!**

Hi all, newb here interested in expert feedback. I've done a fair bit of reading to prepare for my new 4 camera system... even read the FAQ and Cliff's Notes. Appreciate all your time, dedication and expertise!

Goal: start with 4 IP POE cameras for exterior house surveillance with the capacity to expand to 8 cameras. My house is fairly compact in size, so 8 may be a little overkill. I have realistic use cases for 6 cameras once I solve a few install and cabling challenges. Regardless, I don't want to lock myself in to fewer options at this point.

I started researching dedicated NVR/camera setups but each had one or more compromises I didn't like (awful software, questionable manufacturers, cloud storage, non-upgradeable or dubious firmware, etc.). So I decided to start with a dedicated PC running Blue Iris.

This PC seems to tick all the right boxes and is cheap too. I plan to add a second NIC on a separate network to isolate the cameras, toss in a 3TB WD HDD I have on hand, and setup remote access to the PC via VPN.

Do you see any gotchas or issues using that PC in my plan? I'd like to avoid surprises if possible while using this as a starting point.

I haven't yet decided on cameras (more research to do), but my plan is to install a POE switch with Gbit uplink to pull them all into the second NIC.

Thanks!
That PC is a rip-off...it's not a 2016 as the title states..it's a 2013 third gen T processor...the T processor is much weaker....complete systems with the full power i5-3570 go for 100 bux. see hp 8300 on ebay...depending on the resolution of the cams you use you may need something stronger.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.