Is this Amcrest budget camera worth it?

m4gnum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking to add few cameras to my house. I have Dahua cameras and looking to get few budget ones as a backup. I found 5MP Amcrest camera for $50.
Here are the specs:
  • High Resolution 5-Megapixel Ultra High Definition Video for Excellent Quality and Clarity; 5MP @20fps.
  • 18 Powerful IR LEDs for 98ft Night Vision.
  • IP67 Weatherproof Outdoor Camera.
  • 2.8mm Lens features a wide 104° viewing angle.
  • Operating Conditions: -30° C ~ +60° C (-22° F ~ +140° F) / Less than 95% RH.
  • Bullet Dimensions: 6.75 x 3.1 x 3.1 inches.
  • Bullet Weight: 1 lb.
  • Image Sensor: 1/2.7" 5Megapixel progressive CMOS
  • Minimum Illumination: 0.027Lux/F2.0(Color,1/3s,30IRE) 0.004Lux/F2.0(Color,1/30s,30IRE) 0Lux/F2.0(IR on)
Is it any good?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking to add few cameras to my house. I have Dahua cameras and looking to get few budget ones as a backup. I found 5MP Amcrest camera for $50.
Here are the specs:
  • High Resolution 5-Megapixel Ultra High Definition Video for Excellent Quality and Clarity; 5MP @20fps.
  • 18 Powerful IR LEDs for 98ft Night Vision.
  • IP67 Weatherproof Outdoor Camera.
  • 2.8mm Lens features a wide 104° viewing angle.
  • Operating Conditions: -30° C ~ +60° C (-22° F ~ +140° F) / Less than 95% RH.
  • Bullet Dimensions: 6.75 x 3.1 x 3.1 inches.
  • Bullet Weight: 1 lb.
  • Image Sensor: 1/2.7" 5Megapixel progressive CMOS
  • Minimum Illumination: 0.027Lux/F2.0(Color,1/3s,30IRE) 0.004Lux/F2.0(Color,1/30s,30IRE) 0Lux/F2.0(IR on)
Is it any good?
Hi @m4gnum

Remember to post a model number, link, and ideally an image also.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
At 5MP and with a 1/2.7" sensor it's not going to perform well under low light situations. As with everything, you get what you pay for.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I really do not like the hex cross sectional shape.

Otherwise decent Dahua OEM camera, though iirc Amcrest does not retain the Dahua OEM IVS features.

Also, if you need low light performance - the Dahua OEM 4MP starlight+ models are well liked by members ( of course they will cost you more ).

Also, as it is a bullet form with IR leds near the lens - there are bug and spider related issues with that style of cameras.

I have a 3MP version ( not the hex cross section, but a nice circle cross section ) which works well enough on the side of my place. ( The front is covered by more expensive models, Dahua OEM starlights )

So you'll have to decide value / performance / cost.

If this is your first camera, and you can afford it I would recommend a varifocal Dahua OEM 4MP starlight ( see SouthernYankee's recommended list he often posts here to welcome new members )

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it any good?
Personally I love every camera Amcrest makes (I have seven myself)! Others here may disagree and make you believe you need to pay 2, 3 or 4 times as much. You can certainly allow yourself to be swayed by this forum-peer-pressure or you take a more practical and pragmatic approach: (Especially) If you have Amazon prime, simply purchase the cam from them, set it up and then see how YOU like the picture and performance day or night. If you don't care for it, schlepp it down to your local Kohl's store where they'll take it back unboxed for free shipping back to Amazon's on their dime. It's the same thing as what I like to call the "CLL" (Costco Lending Library). If indeed your intention is to keep the item but it truthfully doesn't work for you, just return it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I love every camera Amcrest makes (I have seven myself)! Others here may disagree and make you believe you need to pay 2, 3 or 4 times as much. You can certainly allow yourself to be swayed by this forum-peer-pressure or you take a more practical and pragmatic approach: (Especially) If you have Amazon prime, simply purchase the cam from them, set it up and then see how YOU like the picture and performance day or night. If you don't care for it, schlepp it down to your local Kohl's store where they'll take it back unboxed for free shipping back to Amazon's on their dime. It's the same thing as what I like to call the "CLL" (Costco Lending Library). If indeed your intention is to keep the item but it truthfully doesn't work for you, just return it.
This is because you have not experienced the low light sensors that are simply not available on amcrest cameras (they are rebranded dahua but have a very limited dahua model selection). There are lots of videos on this site that show dahua small sensor cameras performing poorly compared to the large sensor models. It is FALSE to say that good cameras case 3 or 4 times as much. The low light performance on this 5mp amcrest will be poor, not to mention issues with spiders.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like the mini PTZ's that Amcrest has but I know their sensors are not the same as the Dahua's.
If we are really talking about security and identifying people then I go by the saying we have: "Buy Once, Cry Once".
Besides, Average the cost out over the few years that you will be using it and yeah, I'm worth the few extra pennies a day it will cost me.