Is this Cat 6 cable any good?

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is a reputable company and is sold in the North America by Lowes and Home Depot at higher price. All cat6 has the inner core and is not hard to handle. Doing tight bends is BAD for any ethernet cable. Ignore that 1 comment about it being hard to bend.
The price is good also.

Last edited:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is a reputable company and is sold in the North America by Lowes and Home Depot at higher price. All cat6 has the inner core and is not hard to handle. Doing tight bends is BAD for any ethernet cable. Ignore that 1 comment about it being hard to bend.
The price is good also.
Sometimes if you're running additional Cat6 cable though an already existing access hole without much clearance due to other cables passing through, that Cat6 inner core can be the make or break different between whether that cable can fit though the hole or not. In those rare cases and assuming you can't drill a new adjacent hole I revert back to Cat5e cable which has no inner core so it's a smaller diameter and will usually fit through a tight space.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm far from the expert on shielding, and you may get more specific answers. My 30,000 foot take on using shielded cable is:
1. With twisted pair cable, it's rarely necessary.
2. Grounded and/or bonded incorrectly it makes matters worse.
3. Grounding and/or bonding correctly adds to the installation cost and labor.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm far from the expert on shielding, and you may get more specific answers. My 30,000 foot take on using shielded cable is:
1. With twisted pair cable, it's rarely necessary.
2. Grounded and/or bonded incorrectly it makes matters worse.
3. Grounding and/or bonding correctly adds to the installation cost and labor.
AFAIK, shielding is not related to grounding.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've crimped a couple hundred connectors on awg23 cat6 with no problem related to wire gauge. Just have to get connectors specified for cat6 cables, most of which are awg23.
my experience also .. solid coper 23 or 24 AWG in a typical RJ45 plug with no issues outside of the operator .. once I got the hang of it, works well ..

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've crimped a couple hundred connectors on awg23 cat6 with no problem related to wire gauge. Just have to get connectors specified for cat6 cables, most of which are awg23.
depends on how thick the insulation is.
i know in US there are lot of cables out of any certification just tested with a fluke.

but here you cannot buy this kind of china cable. most awg23 cables have thick insulation here in europe. if you want to put rj45 on, you have a hard time to find some which fit. there are some china aliexpress cheapos out, but they arent good. some hirose claim awg23 , but hard to get them togehter cause of the insulation. also some does not fit into waterproof connection of camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have had great luck with CAT-6 using this method:

And I used the 2 piece RJ-45 for solid conductor with an insert to align the staggered conductors ==>> Monoprice Cat6 Plug Solid W/Insert 50U 100pcs/Bag