Is this Laptop fast enough?

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The ongoing quest to get BI running with adequate performance continues.

I moved the BI software from my laptop to an old desktop running Windows XP, and as I feared, that computer is just too slow. The CPU runs at about 70-80 percent, and when Teamviewer is used to remote into the desktop, it goes to 100 percent.

I'm running four Astak Mole cams, all are on wireless. I think these are 640 cams.

I've tried the "direct to disk" and there's not much difference. Getting ghosting in the recordings.

I set the Astak Mole cams to 10 frames per second, and set BI to 15 with no difference.

The desktop does not have wireless, so it's connected via Cat5. But the Cat 5 goes to a switch. Would it get better performance if I wired it right to the router?

SO, here's what I'm wondering. I have a HP laptop with an AMD A10-5745M APU, and 8 gigs of RAM. Would this laptop be fast enough to run four or five Mole cams with good recording quality?

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The ongoing quest to get BI running with adequate performance continues.

I moved the BI software from my laptop to an old desktop running Windows XP, and as I feared, that computer is just too slow. The CPU runs at about 70-80 percent, and when Teamviewer is used to remote into the desktop, it goes to 100 percent.

I'm running four Astak Mole cams, all are on wireless. I think these are 640 cams.

I've tried the "direct to disk" and there's not much difference. Getting ghosting in the recordings.

I set the Astak Mole cams to 10 frames per second, and set BI to 15 with no difference.

The desktop does not have wireless, so it's connected via Cat5. But the Cat 5 goes to a switch. Would it get better performance if I wired it right to the router?

SO, here's what I'm wondering. I have a HP laptop with an AMD A10-5745M APU, and 8 gigs of RAM. Would this laptop be fast enough to run four or five Mole cams with good recording quality?

Thanks in advance.
Yes that will work for the 5 vga cameras...

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will add to this thread, instead of starting a new one.

I have the laptop down in the office, running BI, it's doing great. When I go to the directory on the Blue Iris laptop from the upstairs laptop and when I try and open a BI file in the Saved directory, I get a popup asking for login and password. I have no idea what password or login it's looking for, but I get the same popup when I try and use the WebServer app. I've not been successful getting WebServer to run yet either.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will add to this thread, instead of starting a new one.

I have the laptop down in the office, running BI, it's doing great. When I go to the directory on the Blue Iris laptop from the upstairs laptop and when I try and open a BI file in the Saved directory, I get a popup asking for login and password. I have no idea what password or login it's looking for, but I get the same popup when I try and use the WebServer app. I've not been successful getting WebServer to run yet either.

Thanks!
its asking for the windows user and password..dont do it that way..just use the webserver...the help file explains how to set it up..with the webserver you use the user name and password you setup in blue iris, under the users tab.

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I reset the password, and still no luck. I'm on a wireless access point here at this location. Our internet comes off of a tower on a nearby mountain. I can't figure out how to set the webserver to that address. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I reset the password, and still no luck. I'm on a wireless access point here at this location. Our internet comes off of a tower on a nearby mountain. I can't figure out how to set the webserver to that address. Thanks.
If you are on the same network as the blue iris pc, simply enter the local ip address of the webserver followed by the port as its displayed in the webserver tab.
If you are using a wireless internet provider you cannot access the webserver remotely (off site) because your provider most likely does not provide a routeable external ip address.

Reactions: Wen

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That worked! Thank You FM....