Is this normal? Night time noise on DS-2CD2432F-IW

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
I just purchased a DS-2CD2432F-IW as a nanny camera for my son's room. I am bench testing it in my crawl space (that's where all my network gear is), which is pitch dark except for the camera LED. The video below is with the default settings. Is this normal noise for these conditions, or do i have a problem?

Video quality is the same if i use my POE switch or if i use the power adapter and WIFI...I followed some suggestions from other threads on different settings to try and nothing seems to make a difference.

I have a cheapo foscam in my other sons room to keep tabs on him at night and there is no such noise, i guess i will try the new camera in the foscam's position tonight and see if it is just the distances in the crawlspace causing the issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need set noise reduction to 30-50. Also disable wdr. A high res sensor will generally perform worse in low light than the low res sensor in the foscam...

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Those settings didn't seem to help much... maybe its just the sensor. It actually looks a lot better in youtube than it does in BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those settings didn't seem to help much... maybe its just the sensor. It actually looks a lot better in youtube than it does in BI.
Also disable smart or...make sure your changes were saved... that amount of noise is not normal even for that camera in an indoor environment