Is This PC Suitable?

znelbok

n3wb
Reaction score
I hate to ask this, I have read through here a while ago and have a very basic understanding of the requirements for a BI Server but I would like some feedback on the PC that has just come up on sale

HP Compaq 8200 SFF i5 2400 4GB 500GB Win 7 Pro - Refurbished

So its an i5 and from what I can find the i5-2400 supports QuickSync.

Is this OK to use or should I find something better.

Once again sorry for the newb question

Mick

Reaction score
Never be discouraged asking a question, everyone has questions and we dont know the answer until someone explains. How many cameras do you plan to deploy and playback? I would absolutely get a WD Purple Drive for the SFF box if you plan to keep this up and live 24x7. your 500gb drive can be OS but would recommend SSD, even a 128 on amazon sells for 40-60$ around the holidays and 4gb may be fine? I cannot speak for a BI PC because I am building the same dang setup now. but you should mention how many cameras you plan to support, specs of those cameras, your expected outcome and what the application to your monitoring is.

I scored big on Craiglist but do wish i picked up the 8300 sff off ebay that recently sold out for 115$. Better chip but I am happy with the 8200 honestly. Its hella fast so far and I loaded it with extra gear. Anyone see a problem with this thing handing 4-8 cameras starlight 2mp cameras?

My current build out -
8200 SFF 2400 intel with QuickSync $60
256gb SSD Boot Drive $20
16GB RAM $30-50 currently in progress of purchasing. Had 8gb kit, purchased 8gb kit for $30
2tb WD NVR Purple Drive $35 (May look for a second one for RAID if price is good - kick out the CDROM drive to keep the empty bay)
BIris - Ebay hagging currently. Anyone have forum rep wanna sell an extra key?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 has mentioned that the sandy bridge hardware acceleration might be limited to 1080p cameras....

znelbok

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. After reading the links pointed to and some design consideration I have decided its not right for my solution.

While I don't know how many cameras I will "need" just yet I do know that it may be up to half a dozen around the property. Resolutions and frame rates will probably differ slightly based on connection method - some wired some wireless over long distances (for my small farm).

A later model processor is the go I suspect.