Is this possible - buying (very) cheap webcams, converting the USB end to Ethernet - then hooking into Blue Iris

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm still in the building phase of a new house, brickwork nearly completed and I should have access within 2 - 3 weeks to lay Cat6 cable all over the place. I have earmarked our letterbox to receive 3 x Cat6 cables. These cables will run underground away from the house to the letterbox. My intention is to erect a sturdy and robust letterbox, that contains up to 3 cameras that will be secured and not accessible to passers-by.

I had a thought. Is it possible to convert or adapt cheap webcams (see link) by cutting the USB end and then wiring into a Cat6 cable? The link provided is merely illustrative of the cheap webcams out there. I will be using Blue Iris. Initially, I will be spending my money on traditional cameras placed around the house, the letterbox area being the lower priority and therefore the last of the purchases. Who knows, there may even be USB to Ethernet converters, haven't checked yet.

From that link above, there is no information of video protocols etc. (not that I fully understand).

Reaction score
I'm still in the building phase of a new house, brickwork nearly completed and I should have access within 2 - 3 weeks to lay Cat6 cable all over the place. I have earmarked our letterbox to receive 3 x Cat6 cables. These cables will run underground away from the house to the letterbox. My intention is to erect a sturdy and robust letterbox, that contains up to 3 cameras that will be secured and not accessible to passers-by.

I had a thought. Is it possible to convert or adapt cheap webcams (see link) by cutting the USB end and then wiring into a Cat6 cable? The link provided is merely illustrative of the cheap webcams out there. I will be using Blue Iris. Initially, I will be spending my money on traditional cameras placed around the house, the letterbox area being the lower priority and therefore the last of the purchases. Who knows, there may even be USB to Ethernet converters, haven't checked yet.

From that link above, there is no information of video protocols etc. (not that I fully understand).
I'm no expert, but logic tells me that the firmware in the camera is not going to know you cut the USB end off, and replaced it with an Ethernet connector. How will it communicate?

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is possible to extend the USB signal from a remote USB cam to your BI PC using CAT cable - using a Tx - Rx similar to this. Then add a USB cam to BI.
But would be hard to justify the costs.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is possible to extend the USB signal from a remote USB cam to your BI PC using CAT cable - using a Tx - Rx similar to this. Then add a USB cam to BI.
But would be hard to justify the costs.
So it is doable but as you say cost-prohibitive. Thanks for the link.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So it is doable but as you say cost-prohibitive. Thanks for the link.
Webcams also generally dont perform well in low light and wont use h.264 compression resulting in much larger file sizes and cpu consumption. Using webcams in general is a bad idea. Also often have issues if using more than one.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the most expensive USB to RJ45/network adapter I have ever seen. There are much cheaper ones out there. But beware the speed, range, and reliability may not be sufficient. Also that webcam you linked claiming 50 MP resolution is 100% pure scam. It is probably only 720p or 2MP if you are lucky.

I recommend not trying to cobble together something out of USB webcams and adapters. If you can afford to build a house, then you can afford one or two good IP cameras at least. Get a cheap PoE switch and a good cam like a 2MP or 4MP Dahua Starlight. Even if you are only buying one camera to start with due to the price.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is the most expensive USB to RJ45/network adapter I have ever seen. There are much cheaper ones out there. But beware the speed, range, and reliability may not be sufficient. Also that webcam you linked claiming 50 MP resolution is 100% pure scam. It is probably only 720p or 2MP if you are lucky.

I recommend not trying to cobble together something out of USB webcams and adapters. If you can afford to build a house, then you can afford one or two good IP cameras at least. Get a cheap PoE switch and a good cam like a 2MP or 4MP Dahua Starlight. Even if you are only buying one camera to start with due to the price.
Don't get me wrong, I was merely looking at this as a little project, get my hands dirty so to speak. Yes, I am building a house, and I've strategically placed numerous Cat6 cables to account for CCTV cameras. The letterbox, as I previously mentioned is a lower priority issue, and so I thought, whilst cabling is there, mess around with a project. If it worked, on the dirt cheap, there's a sense of accomplishment (finishing a hands-on project). It's something that wouldn't in the fullness of time be retained as they would be replaced by fit-for-purpose cameras. Also, as mentioned by @fenderman there are other issues to contend with that really put paid to my project idea.

"If you can afford to build a house, then you can afford one or two good IP cameras at least" Not really sure what to make of this comment, it sounds a little naive so I'm guessing you haven't read all my comments. I am not considering a cheap PoE switch.